YouTube video creation - best formats, tips, tricks

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by bl0at3r, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bl0at3r

bl0at3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I subscribe to a fair few youtube'rs and have always fancied having a go but there seems to be a varying degree of skill level in the video production.

Anyone got any tips for creating a video - format, best device - camcorder or else, editing techniques, how to get viewers, tips and tricks please?

2. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Practice

3. M Stewart

M Stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've uploaded a few videos to YouTube, and I think the trick is to keep the editing quite taut. So, you do need some form of editor. I use VideoStudio 11 which is quite old now, but it does have an option for creating your video in a YouTube friendly format. (I'm sure there are other ways of processing the video & sound to a YouTube friendly format.) It probably helps if you're videoing in a popular area, or OTOH in a niche area. Whilst uploading give some consideration to your title, and the tags, so as to get the best help from search engines. YouTube's software can correct some problems with your video (e.g. shakiness), and after uploading you may get asked if you want to see their alternative version. This can be accepted or rejected.

My most popular video was captured quite by accident - a bird strike to a speeding Pendolino on the WCML, and I didn't realise I'd caught it until reviewing the video at home.

Hope this helps

4. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    bl0at3r

have you created your channel yet and personilised to give it ...its own identity ?

if so got a link to it

5. bl0at3r

bl0at3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I have dabbled on YouTube before and am reasonably comfortable editing these particular videos - TheBloater - YouTube

Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer with the OP - it is the intention to start again with a new channel, related to something else, and the types of video will be different to the above - the type with screen shots of computers and people in talking, so the filming and editing techniques will be different I assume.

I also previously struggled with the correct format for hd quality vs size/upload speed.

Will a dedicated camcorder be preferable to a dslr for the filming?

6. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Yes make a normal edited film and make a HD MPEG4 file and it can be uploded to youtube or vimeo.

7. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    as far as camcorders v dslrs go

they both have their place

dslr's give fantastic shallow depth of field and the quality is superb due to large chunks of glass stuck on front of them !

recording times can be a pain and the rolling shutter effect is annoying but can be fixed in post.

what editing software arre you going to be using ?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013