Question Youtube app. on LG TVs — shockingly bad lip sync, anyone?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t use Youtube much, but last night had a rummage around and found a few bits to watch. Without exception, the lip sync was appalling. Now, Iip sync issues on LG TVs is nothing new, and I’ve had my fare share of lip sync issues with my LG TV in the past, which I’ve largely sorted, but the lip sync was so bad on everything that I tried to watch, in the end I just gave up. Is lip sync a problem with Youtube? I’m sure that I’ve seen this reported before somewhere. Or is it just my LG TV? Given the number of hissy fits that it routinely throws it wouldn’t surprise me.

Yeah, it's 100% a problem on the LG YouTube app, always has been for me on my OLEDC6. I have a Sonos Playbar which I've gotten as close as possible on all sources with no real issues, but it's still evident on YouTube.

Tried using the web browser ?

As in the LG web browser to access youtube.com? No. Does that solve the lip sync issues?

Just suggesting you try it.....
Just tried it. Aside from the web browser on my CX being unbelievably slow and laggy, lip sync is still miles out. Worth suggesting it, but it doesn’t help.
@Clem_Dye
I spent a couple of hours a few days back getting the lip sync correct on YouTube and Prime. All was good for a while, but has now reverted back to being out of sync without any changes to my settings. I’m not wasting any more time on it, as external devices like a Firestick seem perfect, so I just use that.

Tried Youtube on my Sony BR player this evening. Lip sync seems almost spot on from my brief testing, far better than on my LG. I’d spring for a decent external box like AppleTV, if only I could get all the apps. that I need on it, NowTV being the major stumbling block.

Odd. I'm hard of hearing and tend to lip read a lot (self-learnt) so I do notice when dialogue is not matching the movement of the person's mouth. I usually find it extremely distracting.

However, I tend to watch the built-in YouTube app on my B9 with the TV audio (I also have the audio sync option, can't remember exactly what it is called, on the TV enabled) and I have only noticed bad lip syncing in videos where the issue is with the videos themselves otherwise they are fine. I do watch a lot of content on YouTube being a gamer, usually video reviews, previews and tech analysis stuff such as Digital Foundry.

I tend to notice bad lip syncing more on Blu-ray movies with my ageing Sony 5.1 surround sound system as this is caused by the delay from the player to the amplifier and speakers. Getting the audio sync timing setting right is often difficult; it works for most movies but then there's one that isn't and I have to adjust for that. It's why I mostly use the TV sound these days as it just works if if I do lose out on the surround sound experience.

Last edited:
Lip sync isssues in the Youtube app is a real problem across the entire LG TV lineup and it has been discussed here in detail LG C8 Lip Sync Issues.
The issue is worst on the internal Youtube app and using HDMI ARC audio. A fix is to switch to internal speakers when watching YT.
Youtube itself does not have a systemic lip sync problem. However, it is possible someone uploads a video without proper audio sync.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom