Quantcast

Question Youtube app crashing

chrisnewton35

Hi

I have a 55" Q6FN.. everything is fine apart from you you tube app.. It worked OK for almost a week but the last few days its crashing daily..

All the right hand side boxes go blank and I can not select anything.. The left hand side menu is still there and the only way I can get it to work is too sign out of my account and then back in again.

Anyone else having issues?

ISeeDesignHer

Hi

I have a 55" Q6FN.. everything is fine apart from you you tube app.. It worked OK for almost a week but the last few days its crashing daily..

All the right hand side boxes go blank and I can not select anything.. The left hand side menu is still there and the only way I can get it to work is too sign out of my account and then back in again.

Anyone else having issues?
Hi. I had this happen on my 55” Q70R. There were two issues; one was a router that had a chip rev known to create protected memory bashing errors, given a high enough streaming volume; the other was the TV freezing and ultimately insisting that I exceeded my ‘trial period.’

Replaced the router with a different MFGR, which helped. I still had to de-install YouTube.be and re-install it on a weekly basis. Then, I switched to using my M9500 BluRay player as the hub to stream the same APPS from.

Zero problems since.

Never did understand the reason that the TV wanted a diaper change weekly though.

chrisnewton35

Mine is really starting to baffle me.. I woke up this morning and turned on YouTube and all the videos were there on the right hand side.. So I clicked on one and it started to play fine. Soon as I backed out they all went black again and could not select anything. So had to re sign in to my account again for it to work...

I have wired the TV to my router now and will see if that does anything. I will take a video of it if it does it again to explain the issue further.

chrisnewton35

ok managed to video it

I have tried re-setting the hub, unplugging the TV, wired, and over Wi-fi, re-installing the app..nothing works

If i sign out of the app or unplug the TV it works for a while but then happens again

Any Ideas?

ISeeDesignHer

Try using the home button to bring up the bottom menu, slide over to APPS, click on that, slide over to YouTube.be but don’t push the select button. Instead, push the down button where it brings up a menu that allows you to delete the APP and delete it.

Then, go back to APPS, move UP to New APPS (or something like that), find YouTube.be APP for download and download it. That will get rid of the ‘black screen.’ At least for a while.

I never quite figured out why this was happening because I sidestepped it by driving my APPS from my BluRay player, but it appears to be some sort of watchdog timer OR watchdog data GB limiter.

I would still suspect your router though; wired or wireless. Call your provider and ask if there is a new, or a better, router that you can swap yours out for?

When I switched out my router, it got a lot better (before I moved my hub to the BluRay player - which solved everything). The behavior seemed similar to when you’ve run out of space in DVR mode. I would be right in the middle of a a random choice of media and it would LOCK UP.

It’s firmware, either in the TV or the router, saying, “I’m too tired tonight!” And, every new day has a new ‘tonight.’

chrisnewton35

Try using the home button to bring up the bottom menu, slide over to APPS, click on that, slide over to YouTube.be but don’t push the select button. Instead, push the down button where it brings up a menu that allows you to delete the APP and delete it.

Then, go back to APPS, move UP to New APPS (or something like that), find YouTube.be APP for download and download it. That will get rid of the ‘black screen.’ At least for a while.

I never quite figured out why this was happening because I sidestepped it by driving my APPS from my BluRay player, but it appears to be some sort of watchdog timer OR watchdog data GB limiter.

I would still suspect your router though; wired or wireless. Call your provider and ask if there is a new, or a better, router that you can swap yours out for?

When I switched out my router, it got a lot better (before I moved my hub to the BluRay player - which solved everything). The behavior seemed similar to when you’ve run out of space in DVR mode. I would be right in the middle of a a random choice of media and it would LOCK UP.

It’s firmware, either in the TV or the router, saying, “I’m too tired tonight!” And, every new day has a new ‘tonight.’
So just to clarify mate.. Yours was doing exactly what mine is doing?.. Did it effect other apps? As all other apps are fine.

I do have a shield TV connected so it's not a huge issue but when things don't work it bugs me lol

ISeeDesignHer

Ah. I remember running into the greyed out delete thing. I think I found another way to delete it through Settings. I just poured an hour into exploring every possible avenue to get to ANYTHING relevant to APPS.

OK. Now I may remember. Mine is WiFi connected only. When I swapped out my router, and before I told the TV the new password, I was able to do a Factory Reset and then delete the APP. Don’t ask me why? I think it had more to do with the TV being ‘isolated’ Than it being reset though, so try removing your network password first. The factory reset is harsh medicine.

Also, write down every setting in every menu before you do the factory reset.

You can see that my undoing the black screen lockup was the result of doing more than one thing at the same time (I was desperate), so I’m still not sure where the problem was - but something was tagging the YouTube.be APP as being ‘expired’ as in a trial period or as in too much data this period.

BTW, I don’t know what a ‘Shield TV’ is. I’m just a ‘bloody Yank,’ so that may be why.

ISeeDesignHer

Also it won't let me delete the YouTube app its greyed out
I think that I had to move the Youtu.be APP off the Home Menu before I could delete it, and then reinstall it. Running the APP from my BluRay player instead of the TV completely solved my problems so I haven’t needed to delete & reinstall again.

Duncan1977

I don't think it is that - as mine randomly started doing it last week - and, I have had the same router for donkeys...

With there being a few of us (and noting the app was last updated on 29 April) - I think that there is a bug in the latest release - especially apparent, as a YouTube Premium user (there has to be at least one of us!), when clicking on the one page that does have videos, ads start playing - which tells me that it loses my login bits and bobs...

Fingers crossed an update comes out soon to resolve, if not - I'll just keep reinstalling from the apps page...

ISeeDesignHer

I don't think it is that - as mine randomly started doing it last week - and, I have had the same router for donkeys...

With there being a few of us (and noting the app was last updated on 29 April) - I think that there is a bug in the latest release - especially apparent, as a YouTube Premium user (there has to be at least one of us!), when clicking on the one page that does have videos, ads start playing - which tells me that it loses my login bits and bobs...

Fingers crossed an update comes out soon to resolve, if not - I'll just keep reinstalling from the apps page...
That would be consistent as I bailed out of the TV’s APP and into the BluRay player’s APP, but the symptoms were the same while I was using it on the TV.

jamiecoop1967

Novice Member
I began having this problem 7 days ago (May 21, 2019).

YouTube grayed out the same, tv or smart hub reset required daily.

I specifically asked if I was the only person in the world having this problem. Sree assured me no one else in this time/space continuum had ever experienced such an issue.

Today Customer Service reset my DNS from default 0.0.0.0 to 8.8.8.8. I don’t know what that does or if it will help.

Tired of resetting every-single-day!!

chrisnewton35

I began having this problem 7 days ago (May 21, 2019).

YouTube grayed out the same, tv or smart hub reset required daily.

I specifically asked if I was the only person in the world having this problem. Sree assured me no one else in this time/space continuum had ever experienced such an issue.

Today Customer Service reset my DNS from default 0.0.0.0 to 8.8.8.8. I don’t know what that does or if it will help.

Tired of resetting every-single-day!!
Let us know if it helps mate, i am sick of having to re-install the app every day to make it work

rushy7

Hi ,I`m having the same problem with my ks8000 ,to get round it i let youtube load then hold the return button in on the remote for a few seconds then load the youtube app again,this works and you dont have to reinstall or sign in again
hope this helps

jamiecoop1967

Novice Member
Thank you for the suggestions.

To recap:

I have a QN55Q8FNBXZA television.

Firmware is T-KTM2AKUC-1251.0, BT-S

Today is the sixth day in a row that the YouTube app has failed.
  1. All other apps work.
  2. YouTube works on my phone and on my computer.
  3. YouTube works in the Tizen browser when I go online with the television.
  4. YouTube does NOT work when using the YouTube app AND Tizen.

I believe this demonstrates that there is an issue between the YouTube app and Samsung’s Tizen OS.

Today, I reset the network and 9 minutes later the YouTube app began to work again.

I don’t think the network reset solved the problem, but something did.

A CSR initially instructed me to contact YouTube, then assisted me himself.

I looked online, there is no way for me to contact YouTube.

Samsung must have a method of communicating with YouTube.

Samsung designed and built the television I bought.

Samsung designed the Tizen OS.

I think someone at Samsung would want to contact YouTube to help their customers (which would include me).

chrisnewton35

Thank you for the suggestions.

To recap:

I have a QN55Q8FNBXZA television.

Firmware is T-KTM2AKUC-1251.0, BT-S

Today is the sixth day in a row that the YouTube app has failed.
  1. All other apps work.
  2. YouTube works on my phone and on my computer.
  3. YouTube works in the Tizen browser when I go online with the television.
  4. YouTube does NOT work when using the YouTube app AND Tizen.

I believe this demonstrates that there is an issue between the YouTube app and Samsung’s Tizen OS.

Today, I reset the network and 9 minutes later the YouTube app began to work again.

I don’t think the network reset solved the problem, but something did.

A CSR initially instructed me to contact YouTube, then assisted me himself.

I looked online, there is no way for me to contact YouTube.

Samsung must have a method of communicating with YouTube.

Samsung designed and built the television I bought.

Samsung designed the Tizen OS.

I think someone at Samsung would want to contact YouTube to help their customers (which would include me).
See this thread i created on the Samsung Forum
Youtube issue on Q6FN - Samsung Community

They are looking into it now

mstar

If it's any help i soft reset every now and again holding the stand by button so it switches off. I d this around 1 a week and it must clear cache etc and I dont get the error no more. Maybe not the ultimate solution but works for me.

chrisnewton35

Hi ,I`m having the same problem with my ks8000 ,to get round it i let youtube load then hold the return button in on the remote for a few seconds then load the youtube app again,this works and you dont have to reinstall or sign in again
hope this helps
this worked for me too, still not ideal but quicker ! thanks

ISeeDesignHer

this worked for me too, still not ideal but quicker ! thanks
I think we can say two things now;
a) the workaround works but is temporary, and
b) There is a definite TIZEN <-> YouTu.be clash, most likely in the “1251.0” firmware.

I have a US model QE55Q70RAFN and it has the same firmware and the same problem.

I’m so happy that I am running YouTu.be from the UDP M9500 BluRay player instead of the TV. Not a single glitch. EVER. And, plugged into the HDMI-4 ARC input, I never get demoted to 1080P SDR when the content from any of the BluRay player’s APP offers up better. Even my DLNA photographs are brilliant 4K HDR when streamed into the player, and not the TV.

Samsung has better firmware coders in their BluRay division than their TV division, it appears.

So, what do they do with this reality?

They announce the closing of their BluRay division!

I’m sure that they’ll fix the TV firmware problem, but, in the meantime, if you can run this APP from somewhere else in your ecosystem and feed it to your TV, you can just wait for someone to post success with a new firmware rev while never having THAT problem in the meantime!

Leet2274

Same problem here on q9fn but it only started doing this after recent firmware update to v1251, and since this update the tv has turned itself off into standby 5/6 times now, some times after being on for only 30 - 60 minutes.

Dalesman

Never used the App for You Tube on the TV or ever watched You Tube on TV however can you load You Tube via Firefox on the TV.

ISeeDesignHer

Never used the App for You Tube on the TV or ever watched You Tube on TV however can you load You Tube via Firefox on the TV.
Yes. You can load pretty much anything from the internet using Firefox as a browser.

I used to do that as a workaround but it comes at a cost. You have to navigate with the arrow by pressing left/right, up.down; unless you have a BlueTooth keyboard with a keypad or a mouse. It doesn’t automatically go full screen. You have to do that as well.

The best solution I’ve found is to run the APP from a WiFi enabled BluRay player being the host. That way, the TV’s APP never is invoked.

CubeHero

Hi
I have a KS8000 and my youtube app is also on the blink.
When I click on some videos its just blank and when I click on others they work.
I've tried to delete the app and reinstall it but when I delete it its still there and has the same issue.
Could someone give me walkthrough of the temporary fix as I'm a bit dim.
Thanks

Last edited:

Duncan1977

Hi
I have a KS8000 and my youtube app is also on the blink.
When I click on some videos its just blank and when I click on others they work.
I've tried to delete the app and reinstall it but when I delete it its still there and has the same issue.
Could someone give me walkthrough of the temporary fix as I'm a bit dim.
Thanks
Either hold down the power button on the remote for three seconds to do a warm reboot (the SUHD splash screen will come up) or when in the app, hold down the return button on the remote for three seconds which force reloads the app...

Both of those options are easier to me than using another source (my UB900 is too slow and my ATV4K uses the wrong colour space for YT)

On the bright side as it appears to be all versions of tizen affected, hopefully won't be too long until it's patched :)

blackmesa8

I have not had a issue with the Youtube app not even once. I have been monitoring this post to see if I am doing something weird or differant that stops it happening. I do use it daily too on a Q9FN with latest firmware. This is the only thing I can think of.

Anyone on here with the issue using Ethernet instead of WiFi? I always use Ethernet where possible but most people use WiFi i think, maybe WiFi is part of the cause and since I use Ethernet I am not getting the issue?

Duncan1977

I have not had a issue with the Youtube app not even once. I have been monitoring this post to see if I am doing something weird or differant that stops it happening. I do use it daily too on a Q9FN with latest firmware. This is the only thing I can think of.

Anyone on here with the issue using Ethernet instead of WiFi? I always use Ethernet where possible but most people use WiFi i think, maybe WiFi is part of the cause and since I use Ethernet I am not getting the issue?
to be fair, you could be half onto something here - maybe Samsung / YouTube have changed their handshaking or something - after getting 500mbps Virgin - I yesterday upgraded my router from a Netgear R6250 to an Asus AC86U - haven't had any issues since that was put in place.

Epak

Novice Member
I have no problems with the youtube app. There's one app that doesn't want to start the first time, but always works the second time (Viaplay).