YouTube and Speakers Tests

There is absolutely no way you can tell that from any youtube video. ..

That may sound harsh, but there's enough bad advice on here without something as ridiculous as this getting attention...

But I can and did.

It is all about keeping what you see and hear in perspective. Some people can, and obviously some people can't. That's OK.

If it represents no value to you, then don't use it.

But I do find it valuable, and I do plan to use it ... in perspective.

Steve/bluewizard

I'm loving the way you are sticking to your guns bluwizard if nothing else:thumbsup: after the video clip is recorded by what ever means? then played back on a pc/laptop any use that video has will have long gone by then,and also you say it is worth a look at these videos to get a feeling for the speakers but there is a chance that these clips could put you of from getting a real demo in a store,its abit like that clip in another post,showing your sub,there is a clip on there where all apart from the OP is wondering what he is trying to show or let us hear,I know if I had seen that before ordering my sub I would have had second thoughts about ordering,like others have said the best you can get from them clips is an idea of what the speakers look like in a room situation.

I really don't wish to appear rude but I think this advice is misplaced and could well mislead people who are new to choosing speakers.

David

Bugger !!! :mad:
I wish this thread had been posted before I bought my new speakers in January ( B&W 803Ss ).
The Wharfdales sound just as good as my B&Ws. Could have saved myself £3000.:(
I think I will need to go and have a look at some pictures of amps to see which will sound better with the B&Ws.

The bloke with the Dali floor-standers is suffering from a slight case of upper mid bloom. I recommend pulling them out from the corners by 150mm and adding 5deg of toe in.

The 9.3s could do with 0.5kg less sand in each stand to liven up the bass a touch too.

Russell

:D Agreed ;)

The bloke with the Dali floor-standers is suffering from a slight case of upper mid bloom. I recommend pulling them out from the corners by 150mm and adding 5deg of toe in.

The 9.3s could do with 0.5kg less sand in each stand to liven up the bass a touch too.

Russell

:rotfl: For some reason that just reminds me of Peter Belt!!!

Free sound improving techniques

(for those not of a certain age who may not have heard of Peter Belt, this guy is deadly serious. Deluded, but serious!)

Russell

I know you're well respected on here russell, but I fear you've just lost an almighty chunk of credibility. You clearly missed the fact that the speakers aren't bi-wired (didn't you notice that, honestly:rolleyes:), which would naturally give a cleaner mid-range and a whistle sharp top end, and indeed it's pretty obvious that the cable used is inferior £2 p/m stuff.

Your hearing is also suffering in other ways, as I could tell (quite clearly I might add) that the amount of sand is actually lacking :nono::lesson:

I'm stunned by the responses I'm getting. I expected them, if any, to range from mildly indifferent to curiously indifferent. Instead, I got Comedy and Tragedy in equal measure.

So ... again ... it is about perspective -

Either you see it or your don't.

Either you get it or you don't.

I'm content either way.

I'm simply pointing my finger - "Oh, look. Here's something."

From there on, you are on your own.

There are thousands of videos for every imaginable speaker, for the cheapest to the most expensive. Use them or don't use them; your choice.

There are thousands of other videos about every other aspect of audio, video and acoustics. Need to know how to make a do-it-yourself sound absorber? It's there. Need information of sound proofing rooms? It's there. Curious about a particular speaker? It's likely there.

So, you either see it or you don't, but don't think that because you can't see it, that it can't be seen. Just because you can't see the value, doesn't mean the value doesn't exist.

The information is there for you to use, or not use; your choice.

So -

"Oh, look. Here's something."

Now, do or don't, it's not that big a deal. Certainly not worth getting heated up over.

Do or don't. Use or don't use. It really is that simple.

Steve/bluewizard

Please feel free to actually read & analyse BlueWizard's post before instilling your hi-fi snobbery on us.

It's a different way at looking purchasing speakers, it's not gospel, just like a hi-fi magazine isn't. The mocking is totally uncalled for.

Please feel free to actually read & analyse BlueWizard's post before instilling your hi-fi snobbery on us.

It's a different way at looking purchasing speakers, it's not gospel, just like a hi-fi magazine isn't. The mocking is totally uncalled for.

There's no snobbery on here.. and I'm sure BlueWizard has been around on this forum long enough to accept that sometimes when people disagree they light heartedly make fun, and no offence is intended. :smashin:

However many people on here, including myself, seem to feel that recommending these 'reviews' makes a mockery of proper AV reviews and listening demos etc.. Not only that but suggesting that the audio from these YouTube clips gives any impression of the audio from the speakers in question is just wrong. All it does is let you listen to badly recorded music on your own PC speakers and watch some cones move in an out..

Now Steve may be right, if people want to do that then fine, thay can and they will welcome his post. However to suggest it's a serious means of reviewing speakers Is IMHO ridiculous. No better than choosing a TV by judging the PQ from photos in a magasine.. Or a car from how it feels on Grand Tourismo... :D

I suspended my initial disbelief and read it again twice. As then, it is still complete cobblers now.

If you can't see or understand that, could you PM me your mobile number? I'd like to listen to your Chord Carnival Silver+.;)

Russell

which would naturally give a cleaner mid-range and a whistle sharp top end, and indeed it's pretty obvious that the cable used is inferior £2 p/m stuff.

Mine was 99p/m stuff which I was told was superior to the inferior 80 p/m stuff. So if I bought some for £8 p/m would that be inferior to £10 p/m, or not? And if so is it better hiding it in the exterior or interior wall cavity?

So if I bought some for £8 p/m would that be inferior to £10 p/m, or not?

Depends on whether its triple shielded with a silver sliver :D

And if so is it better hiding it in the exterior or interior wall cavity?

So long as it's encased in sand it should be fine :thumbsup:

There's sand, and there's sand!

Audiophile grade sand MUST be used!

I use special sand in my stands that is a compound of isometric-hexoctahedral crystals and gallus domesticus teeth that I bought from an audiophile that knows his stuff. Seriously, you should see his elevation system, he uses a gelatine stack to absorb unwanted vibrations along the speaker cables.

Depends on whether its triple shielded with a silver sliver :D

So long as it's encased in sand it should be fine :thumbsup:

Its quadroople (???) shielded and then oven cooked in clay from Mauritius before sent to Cuba and rolled in tobacco leaves by old maids. No silver sliver seeing as its 99p/m

Would sand paper suffice? :D

When I first read this I did laugh and thought it was well written and looked for the posting date with 1st April in mind.

Thing is...we're not hearing the speakers...we're seeing cones move and video of speakers with sound...

What we are listening is:

Music played on a cd which adds its own colour to the sound...then the interconnects which again adds colour...or maybe a digi link...toslink or optical both sound different.
Then we are listening to the amp and the colour that adds.
Then we hear the speaker cables colour.

Then the sound is outputted from the speakers.....
Then we hear the colour of the room...then the colour of the mic used to record...then the cables to connect the mic..or he mic on the camcorder.

So are we hearing the speakers....NO!!

Minimise al these colorations by demoing the speakers in a shop with high end kit then all you have to deal with is your ears and room effects.

Still....a funny post :)

Last edited:
I must be in the minority here as I understand where steve's coming from. I'm never going to buy speakers from a you-tube vid but alot of people buy from a star rating in what hi-fi !!. I am confident alot of not so audiophile persons never audition speakers before buying - foolish perhaps I grant you. I understand all you are listening too is the quality of your PC speakers but I reckon it is another pretty useful tool. If you can do a little research into 50 types of speakers in an hour maybe you could draw up a short list and then go and properly listen to them. Even if its done by asthetics and the reviewers opinion. Maybe i'm very nosey but I like watching the videos.

I understand all you are listening too is the quality of your PC speakers but I reckon it is another pretty useful tool.

:confused:

In what way is it useful then? :D

Hmm ,I get your point. I suppose im just saying I agree with the fact that its another way to "see" speakers in action , peoples opinions and asthetics, how they look in a certain room etc or how big the floorstanders/subwoofers look in the home, how they seem to cope with levels , how deep they go etc (especially subs). People have been reading mags for ages to try and build a short list , and they are just a picture - allbeit sometimes with a slightly biased review :devil:- . For instance if I was interested in the quad 11L , i'd certainly go online and check out a few vids, but would obviously take the sound issues into account.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom