• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Youtube and samsung 4k tv how do i play in 4k?

ed2093

Novice Member
Well I have my nice shiney new 4k samsung 2014 Tv and whilst i am happy with the picture from none 4k sources such as bluray etc i would like to show it off in all its 4k glory.

Last night i was having a play looking at youtube 4k videos using the televisions youtube app. Thing is I am not really sure if these were actaully playing in 4k as i wasnt blown away by the picture and the fact they played straight off on my normal crappy broadband connection suggests they werent in 4k.

How do i make sure that they are actually playing in 4K? I know on the normal youtube site you can adjust the settings for each video but i can find no such option on the samsung app. I appreciate there will probably be a lot of buffering on my slow connection but i am keen to see what the tv can do.

next010

Distinguished Member
Try this playlist or subscribe to it then login to your Youtube account through the portal app.
4K VIDEOS - YouTube

Youtube 4K are VP9 videos so broadband shouldn't be a problem.

Another way is on PC or phone/tablet while playing at 4k tap the cast icon in the Youtube app and have the Youtube app running on the TV, it might appear there and see if you can beam the video to the TV.

You could try pressing info on the remote while a video is playing but I dont think Samsung give you much control over stuff here.

Makemebad1978

Not sure if this has ever been resolved but using my Samsung ue55hu7500t 4k tv the YouTube app only plays 4k video's at 1080p. You can check this in the "show video info" option in the apps settings.

dav1dk1ng

Novice Member
Same issue here, and yet even now I can find no solution to getting the native Samsung YouTube to stream 4K content? It's so frustrating!

thareapa85

Novice Member
the only way to view native 4k youtube videos in through the browser on the samsung smart hub app on your tv. connect a wireless usb mouse and keyboard (you can also use your remote) and watch this video make sure you select settings and pick the 2160p option ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom