You're Next (2013)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Adam Wingard's (V/H/S segment "Tape 56") 2011 horror festival favourite is
finally getting released on 27 August 2013.

yourenextpostersheep.jpg

Last edited:
^ This is a horror film I've been waiting to see for ages, glad to see a trailer was finally released a few days back. Even though I couldn't stand his film A Horrible Way To Die, this looks more my thing.

Now 27 August

im looking forward to this

lHmbua7.jpg

w0Crd2g.jpg

Vjtwx88.jpg

BidS3Og.jpg

xi57mWs.jpg

8U0xlRN.jpg

1B8Mv8R.jpg

2k315O6.jpg

GcyoWpy.jpg

GnGcfpq.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this last night, entertaining film. Twisty plot too, a horror that tries to do something new with a formulaic horror premise.

I saw this last night, entertaining film. Twisty plot too, a horror that tries to do something new with a formulaic horror premise.

Same here, did u see it at a freebie ? Thoroughly enjoyed it, so much better than the wet blanket that was The Conjuring.

Booked this for friday, don't let me down film :)

Saw this on friday, i just was'nt buzzed after i saw it. Nothing original or different here, i still enjoyed it, but it reminded me of
Scream with it's twists
, which is way better in everyday.

You're Next had average dialogue, when the
baddies kept get hurt
i just found it funny, gory kills was the main thing it had going for it. The characters made the usual horror cliche decision never to stay together. They knew there was someone in the house (or could be)
so why did the father go upstairs alone, and why leave the girl downstairs making planks of wood with nails sticking out on her own. Plus they walked past windows so causally later considering how it was started with the arrows.

Loved the instrumental soundtrack though. Like i say i still enjoyed the ride, but was hoping for something much more from the norm.

As for the ending they should have
just finished it when she got shot by the policeman. The policeman getting axed added nothing to the plot.

Edit

it seems Scream was a inspiration for Adam and the writer. 'Them' is a excellent thriller also mentioned in the article.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...-inspiration-and-the-v-h-s-franchise-20130822

Last edited:
As for the ending they should have
just finished it when she got shot by the policeman. The policeman getting axed added nothing to the plot.

I thought it did add something.
The ending doesn't treat the fact that the heroine grew up in a survivalist compound as something that should be viewed uncritically. She was raised by a bunch of paranoid nutbags, which may come in very handy in a rare, extreme situation like this, but it can have averse consequences.

This film is far more of a social satire than Scream was and more concerned with class and with satirising the selfish rich than with self-consciously exposing horror movie tropes. They may seem superficially similar, but the satire here is aimed at different things and is as much indebted to a satirist of the bourgeoisie like Luis Bunuel, as it is a home invasion film.

Last edited:
I thought it did add something.
The ending doesn't treat the fact that the heroine grew up in a survivalist compound as something that should be viewed uncritically. She was raised by a bunch of paranoid nutbags, which may come in very handy in a rare, extreme situation like this, but it can have averse consequences.

This film is far more of a social satire than Scream was and more concerned with class and with satirising the selfish rich than with self-consciously exposing horror movie tropes. They may seem superficially similar, but the satire is here aimed at different things and is as much indebted to a satirist of the bourgeoisie like Luis Bunuel, as it is a home invasion film.

100% agree, I would argue the closing moments were the most darkly amusing. I hate it when people suggest that others 'don't get it' hence thats why they don't like something, but it certainly seems that some people are missing the point with this one.

I thought this was passable fare, nothing special with loads of ideas snatched from other films. For me it was like a twisted mashup of Home Alone meets The Strangers.

The Strangers btw was an inferior rip-off of the French film Ils/Them.

The Strangers btw was an inferior rip-off of the French film Ils/Them.

I agree on that one. I already owned Them before watching The Strangers and could see the elements they had taken from it. To be honest I didn't go that much on Them either but as I said before still watchable without being poor. The reasoning in Them for attacking the house just didn't sit right for me though.

I still found Them far more creepy and suspenseful than The Strangers. As said above though, I think You're Next bring something new to the table of the home invasion sub-genre by being as much a satire an class as it is a splatter film. It's there in almost every line of dialogue and in action the characters take.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom