1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your view on this Amp/Receiver/Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Malky1903, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've been offered this hi-fi for £300. Is it worth it? My mate bought it 6 years ago plus the turntable which cost him £120 at the time. Overall, is a 6 year old £1100 system worth £300 now? I've had a listen in both hi-fi and DD modes, although it is a pro-logic receiver, and it does sound quite good. Would I be better off buying a second hand all in one amp/receiver such as a Marantz 4200 or similar and a speaker package for maybe £400/£500 instead or is this system just as good?
    Any feedback would be appreciated :)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check that the CD player still works, and tracks OK. IMO Kenwood and Aiwa (same brand) lasers seem to burn out very frequently.

Also check that is has a digital input or stereo input (two RCA connectors) because if/when the CD dies you can easily replace it.

Every CD mech. in a Aiwa Midi system I've used eventually fails. IMO low quality pickups.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    £200-300 for something like that is probably reasonable if it all works,but quite honestly I think you'll get better results with your second option of finding a good value secondhand system elsewhere,that's only a couple of yrs old.

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've been assured that everything is in perfect working order. There were no apparent problems when he put in a couple of CD's and played his DVD player through it in DD5.1. Everything looked and sounded OK to me.

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I can't remember which of these two it has but it definitely has one or the other.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Well....the choice is yours,and buying off your mate you would know how it's been treated...does it actually have Dolby Digital or just Prologic?

7. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I know for sure that it has been treated well. It is a pro-logic only receiver but upgrades to DD5.1 when you connect the 6 channel input. I believe it can also process DTS if your DVD player has an onboard decoder.

8. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My thoughts on this so far;

FOR
    Decent sound quality in both 2 and 5.1 channel audio
    Can decode DD5.1, DTS and SACD with 6 channel input and supported DVD player
    5 CD changer included
    5.1 speakers included
    Cheap

AGAINST
    Seperates are quite large
    Could die at any time though I doubt it

9. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Malabby,

To be honest with you I personally reckon that you'll be better off with hunting down a bargain on-line to buy a more recent receiver
    and speaker package.

One question :- do you have a DVD player with built in DD and DTS decoders? If you do you'll have to hook it up with 6 phono interconnects to get full 5.1 surround sound from the Kenwood.
    Not only will the back of your equipment rack look like a nest of vipers, but you'll lose out on any form of upgrade path (eg 6.1 surround etc).
    Bear in mind that since this system was first released there have been major developments in home cinema gear, and I think that being patient and holding out and saving for a while longer, you'll be able to buy either an all-in-one system or seperates that will blow the Kenwood out of the water in both features and perfomance.

Also Kenwood has pulled out the home cinema/hi-fi game, and decided to concentrate in the IN-CAR/home appliance arena so if it does develop a fault you could be stuck for spares/repair.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a few Kenwood products in my time and not had any problems, but I feel you could do much better with some budget/mid-range products and be sure you are getting more for you money.

TTFN.

10. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the advice graham r j. My DVD player is the Sony DVPNS700, so hooking that up shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll hang fire on this idea and shop around a little to see what else I can get for my money. Looking to spend around £200 on an amp/receiver and the same again on speakers. These are second hand prices of course.

11. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should be able to get something pretty good for around £400 pounds for amp/reciever and speakers.

check out Richer Sounds for some good deals eg:

Marantz SR4300 (6.1 channel reciever) - £199

Eltax Liberty 5.0 speaker package - £249

OK slightly over £400 I suppose :devil: but good starter system (IMO)

also don't forget this forums own hardware selling area for 2nd hand items

regards
    Gary