Your Top 5 Favorite Books : With Background To The Plot, Without Spoilers

Garrett

Reaction score
If yo can remember but what are your top 5 favorite books.

1 Midnight at the Well of Souls : sci fi story that sort of blend out of the world ideas with a journey you usably get in fantasy book.
2 The Hit David Baldacci : Government assassin meets his match second in the Will Robie series.
3 Vixen 03 : One of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books when he was on top form, from what I rember two plotlines for quite a few chapters then bang the meet.
4 The Nemesis Program : book 9 in the Ben Hope series somewhat in the James Bond story type for this one with as usual plots with historical links.
5 The Annihilist : A Doc Savage book not read in many decades but remember one of the best reads I had at the time I don't know if it stand up today, but just loved those Doc Savage books and when I was in Canada if ever near a bookshop I often when hunting for them.

Just did not make it
Dark of the Sun : Wilbur Smith
The Time Machine : HG Wells
Icewind Dale Trilogy : LA Salvatore
The Camel Club : second favorite David Baldacci book.
EDIT
Ice Station Zebra: Alister McLean I saw the film with some mates and they complained about it differing from the book so I read it and the films only half the tale.

Last edited:
Warlord chronicles by Bernard cornwell - the Arthurian legend detailed by an excellent historian, narrated from the view point of one of his warriors. A series that makes the legend believable

Revelation space by Alastair Reynolds - humanity is eyed for extinction as its level of technology has come too far, a cycle that has repeated itself over billions of years. This time the cycle may be broken

Pushing ice by Alastair Reynolds (yes again) - Saturn's moon janus has deviated from its orbit, in fact it's accelerating out of the solar system. One ship is nearby and gives chase to find out what this supposed celestial body is now doing!

Commonwealth saga by peter f Hamilton - a Dyson sphere has been found in a distant system, however its destabilising and what lies within becomes a massive threat to all life.

Player of games - iain m banks - jernau is one of the greatest game players Alice, from board games to interactive games. He hears of the ultimate game, one that an entire civilisation bases its life on, he wants to win but the prize is more complex than he can imagine

Commonwealth saga by peter f Hamilton - a Dyson sphere has been found in a distant system, however its destabilising and what lies within becomes a massive threat to all life.
Blow me if the bottom of my vac which it runs on cause in problems I best change brands. :rolleyes:

Blow me if the bottom of my vac which it runs on cause in problems I best change brands. :rolleyes:

Gotta watch out for the old uprights in particular, they absolutely suck!

Should probably go back and give some of the Dirk Pitt books a listen again, seem to remember him going a bit anti-Brit in one of his books whem I read the originally.

I really have difficulty picking my favourites as I've read so many and my memory is rubbish 😁

Dune the audiobook is right up there, it is utterly sublime.

The Martian, and to have such a superb film off the back of it is great.

Ready Player One, I'm of an age when it hits every nostalgia and sci-fi button I posses.

Alastair Reynolds and Peter F Hamilton have a couple of cracking universes in proper space opera style, again I need to go back and listen to them.

Pratchett. Good Omens is my favourite and then it's going to be Guards or Witches collections.

So many choices, The Expeditionary Force from Craig Alanson is proving to be very entertaining, have juice box, as is The Expanse, althought the final 3 really didn't do it for me.

Should probably go back and give some of the Dirk Pitt books a listen again, seem to remember him going a bit anti-Brit in one of his books whem I read the originally.
I cant remember that but do rember in the the Night Probe there was an aged British Spy who I think was not that bad and
gets the woman in the end.
I think round Sahara the books were going off a bit notably when Clive inserted himself into the stories.

From Goodreads:
In the midst of an international crisis, Heidi Milligan, a beautiful, brilliant American naval commander, accidentally discovers an obscure reference to the long-buried North American Treaty, a precedent-shattering secret pact between the United States and Great Britain. The President believes that the treaty offers the single shot at salvation for an energy-starved, economically devastated nation, but the only two copies plummeted into the watery depths of the Atlantic in twin disasters long ago. The original document must be found—and the one American who can do the job is Dirk Pitt.

But in London, a daring counterplot is being orchestrated to see that the treaty is never implemented. Brian Shaw, a master spy who has often worked hand in hand with American agents, now confronts his most challenging command. Pitt’s mission: Raise the North American Treaty. Shaw’s mission: Stop Pitt.

I cant remember that but do rember in the the Night Probe there was an aged British Spy who I think was not that bad and
gets the woman in the end.
I think round Sahara the books were going off a bit notably when Clive inserted himself into the stories.

From Goodreads:
In the midst of an international crisis, Heidi Milligan, a beautiful, brilliant American naval commander, accidentally discovers an obscure reference to the long-buried North American Treaty, a precedent-shattering secret pact between the United States and Great Britain. The President believes that the treaty offers the single shot at salvation for an energy-starved, economically devastated nation, but the only two copies plummeted into the watery depths of the Atlantic in twin disasters long ago. The original document must be found—and the one American who can do the job is Dirk Pitt.

But in London, a daring counterplot is being orchestrated to see that the treaty is never implemented. Brian Shaw, a master spy who has often worked hand in hand with American agents, now confronts his most challenging command. Pitt’s mission: Raise the North American Treaty. Shaw’s mission: Stop Pitt.
I think all I vaguely remember is the SAS in a forest being the bad guys, really not sure about the specifics but remember wondering at the time why did he have a bit of a grudge rather than nice story.

Warlord chronicles by Bernard cornwell - the Arthurian legend detailed by an excellent historian, narrated from the view point of one of his warriors. A series that makes the legend believable

Revelation space by Alastair Reynolds - humanity is eyed for extinction as its level of technology has come too far, a cycle that has repeated itself over billions of years. This time the cycle may be broken

Pushing ice by Alastair Reynolds (yes again) - Saturn's moon janus has deviated from its orbit, in fact it's accelerating out of the solar system. One ship is nearby and gives chase to find out what this supposed celestial body is now doing!

Player of games - iain m banks - jernau is one of the greatest game players Alice, from board games to interactive games. He hears of the ultimate game, one that an entire civilisation bases its life on, he wants to win but the prize is more complex than he can imagine
Loved Player of Games, such a great book.

Those Reynolds books sound right up my street. Just reading a few comments on GoodReads, some people suggest reading them in a different order. How did you read them?

I don't think I could pick a top 5.

Off the top of my head, a couple of Clancy books (Rainbow 6, Red Storm Rising), maybe Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I've read so many great books. What I have found now, is that adding Audible has really changed some books. The narration is just incredible. I listened to all of the GRRM books and Roy Dodrice was amazing.

In short, I can't do it. :D

I don't think I could pick a top 5.

Off the top of my head, a couple of Clancy books (Rainbow 6, Red Storm Rising), maybe Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I've read so many great books. What I have found now, is that adding Audible has really changed some books. The narration is just incredible. I listened to all of the GRRM books and Roy Dodrice was amazing.

In short, I can't do it. :D
You got me what does that mean as a non texter.

George RR Martin. Author of game of thrones books. With such a long name he’s often referred to as GRRM.

George RR Martin. Author of game of thrones books. With such a long name he’s often referred to as GRRM.
I no idea and I was Grrr as in :mad:, trying to guess if it was Grim or Greater Rail, Roads and Motorway.
Someone used GOAT as a thread title the other day and they only found out a few minutes before what it meant and they had to look it up.
Its as though we becoming a duel language nation for the natives, English and Acronym.

:)
Yeah I know what you mean. As I get older, I have to look up a lot more acronyms these days.

Loved Player of Games, such a great book.

Those Reynolds books sound right up my street. Just reading a few comments on GoodReads, some people suggest reading them in a different order. How did you read them?

The revelation space universe has multiple books but the main trilogy is where I started, with Revelation space, then Redemption Ark and Absolution gap. A fourth book was added later, inhibitor phase which I have yet to get round to.

After the trilogy I read the two in the prefect series which is set earlier, and finally chasm city which gives some background to the books.

Aside from that he has two other "universes" with very different books, both are worth a go but I would go for the stand alone books first, Pushing Ice is absolutely brilliant as is House of Suns

The revelation space universe has multiple books but the main trilogy is where I started, with Revelation space, then Redemption Ark and Absolution gap. A fourth book was added later, inhibitor phase which I have yet to get round to.

After the trilogy I read the two in the prefect series which is set earlier, and finally chasm city which gives some background to the books.

Aside from that he has two other "universes" with very different books, both are worth a go but I would go for the stand alone books first, Pushing Ice is absolutely brilliant as is House of Suns
It was Chasm City they recommended reading before Revelation Space to help understand the universe. Interested in your thoughts to see if that backed up the review or not?
I certainly plan to give the books a read.

I suppose its could be good to get a background but I don't think its essential, its not a long book either so would be quick to do before the main series

I suppose its could be good to get a background but I don't think its essential, its not a long book either so would be quick to do before the main series
Thanks, good to know. Now to add them all to my queue! :D

1. Anthony Burgess - Earthly Powers
2. Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
3. Louis De Bernieres - South American Trilogy [ Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord - The War Of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts - The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman
4. Iain Banks - Transition
5 . Jonathan Littell - The Kindly Ones

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom