1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Thoughts on Sagem Axium HD-D56B & Toshiba 52WM48

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ruby, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I currently have 4 day old Samsung SP50L7HX which I'm hoping to return to where I got it from (avwow.com). I'm not happy with black levels (in dark scenes) produced by this model. I've tried various settings (including using a THX optimizer), and I've also tried what I believe is the ultimate black test - I reduced the brightness to 0. Even then, the blacks remained a darkish grey colour. I know other forum members who own this same model are generally happy with the black levels, which makes me think that perhaps their is a fault with my set. I can't find any other way to explain the fact that the black levels on my 5 year old Toshiba 4:3 rear-projection TV blow the pants off the Samsung.

Anyway, if avwow.com allow the exchange/refund, I don't know what other model to go for. I'm considering the Toshiba 52WM48 and the Sagem Axium HD-D56B. I'd be interested to know anybody's thoughts about these models, especially in regards to the black levels during dark scenes.

2. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The black levels and in fact all colours are superb on the Sagem :smashin: matching the THX contrast settings 100% and providing deep vibrant tones.:clap:

Cheers:hiya:

3. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the mack.

4. Bandog

Bandog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a complete newbie and inexerience bloke all round, I have to say, I am unbelieveably happy with my Sagem, yes it is only the HD45 and not the 56 but the picture clarity is mind blowing.

This is just a laymans thoughts.

5. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    hmmm. The black levels on my sp50 are great. Ive never noticed any grey looking blacks. Im not sure what the other sp50 owners think

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Nor have I on my RD65. Blacks are one of its strong points. Certainly a CRT rear pro should not be outperforming a DLP set on Black levels.

7. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

No problems with black levels on my sp50, the blacks in blade trinity are as black as a black thing! :D

8. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Your responses make me think more and more that there must be a fault of some kind with my set. I'm not nit-picking when I say the black levels during dark scenes are really c**p. Even my wife noticed this problem, and she's about as far as you can get from a being a home theatre enthusiast.

I've emailed avwow.com abou a refund/exchange. Let's wait and see what they say.

9. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    cant you go to your local comet or currys to see a sp50 and check the black levels on that

10. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    indie24,

Something that I have noticed on all rear-projection sets is that blacks will appear blacker when the lights are turned on in your room. The real test is to see black levels during proper viewing conditions, which is to have most if not all of the lights turned off. All of the stores near me that have the Samsung, have placed the set in a well lit area.

11. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    did you turn your contrast up?

12. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    indie24,

I've got contrast set to 85 at the moment, but I have tried it higher as well.

13. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Can the Sagem 56 inch handle NTSC?

14. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes - no problem:thumbsup: .

With NTSC there are additional options such as Tone setting in the PQ settings which do not appear for PAL.
    On the other hand, the manual notes NTSC consists of 720 points per line and 480 lines per picture. PAL consists of 720 points per line and 576 lines per picture, whereas, the Sagem has been designed for 1280 points per line and 720 lines per picture giving it a much higher resolution then HDTV in either format.:D

15. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    All current DLPs are 1280 x 720

16. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I know. I was just making a silly point about HTPC HD output v scaled PAL or NTSC :D The 1:1 pixel discussion is interesting though.:smashin:

17. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Ruby - the SP50s I auditioned (2 of) had superb black levels, even under showroom lighting.

I bought the new Samsung 46" model and blacks are equally impressive.

One thing to try would be to play with the gamma settings in the service menu. Gamma will essentially allow you to "blacken the blacks" on your set.

If this doesn't help, I would certainly consider having the set checked out, as deep blacks are one of DLP's strengths.

If you are set on another brand I would avoid the Toshiba model. I tested the 52" model and its smaller sibling and the PQ fell far behind Samsung and Sagem.

18. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    The static picture quality of the Tosh is as good, if not better, than the Samsung, which is noticably softer by comparison, but then it's whatever floats your personal boat. What the Tosh IS worth avoiding for, is the motion blurring that it suffers from. I reckon the best compromise at the moment is the Sagem, and I say this as a Tosh 52" owner.

However, these things change with new models, so it pays to keep track of new sets from all manufacturers. It also pays to use your own eyes and make up your own mind. Just 'cos someone says something on here don't make it the gospel truth, so take everything you read here as nothing more than a vague starting point. And that includes anything I might say, I should add.

Regards

Mark

19. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    the_pauley,

How do you get into the service menu?

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    With the set in standby mode press INFO, MENU, MUTE, POWER in rapid succession. Make sure you take a note of any settings in case you have to reset to these.
    The static PQ of the set was not something I tested for. I was more concerned with watching moving pictures! I'm funny that way...:D

There are more issues with the Toshibas than motion blur. Contrast, brightness and colour saturation was noticeably poorer than the Sagems and Samsung models I tested. In addition as you mentioned there were the "motion blurring" issues, also that effect that has been refered to as the "oil slick" effect was particularly noticeable on skin tones. Played with the two Toshibas for ages but no amount of tweaking rectified these problems.

If these two sets were the only DLPs you had seen you might be very impressed, but after seeing the Sagems and Samsungs in action, the Toshibas weren't even a consideration.

21. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    the_pauley,

Using your instructions, I got into the service menu. However, all I could see was a list of codes (from 1 - 16) that didn't mean a thing to me. I'm not sure what to do at this stage in order to reduce the gamma level.

Out of interest, has anybody else had to mess around in the service menu of their Samsung SP50L7HX to sort out any picture problems they may have had?

22. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Just spoke with Samsung and they believe that there is a fault with my set. They have advised me to send it back to the retailer (avwow.com) for a refund or an exchange.

I'm leaning towards an exchange for the Sagem HD-D56 unless anyone can convince me otherwise. Avwow.com are doing it for about £2400. Does anyone know of a better price?

23. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was the best price a couiple of weeks ago and I still think the best price now.

Join the Sagem 56 Club!