Your suggestions

paulgardam

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of spending about 1K on an LCD screen. My needs are as follows:

DVI port for the PC (needs to display pc full screen @ native res)
Preferably Picture in Picture for watching TV whilst on the pc
Quick response time for gaming
widescreen (obviously)
Connections for a DVD and Sky (preferably component)

Not too bothered about Hi-def yet as this is only a TV for the bedroom, and working for Sky has taught me that 2006 means 2008 - by which time I'll probably want a new TV by then anyway.

Is there any screen out there that will cater for all that? Is there a huge difference in picture quality in having 1366x768 pixels over 1280x768? Also, how good is Pixel plus and what do other manufacturers have in terms of a similar tech? Are Sharp the best make of LCD and how good are philips and LG? I've been looking at the LG RZ26LZ50, which seems to have all but the 1366 res, and the philips 26pf9946 (everything but component). I am patient so don't have to buy right away if you know of anything coming out soon. I've heard about a Toshiba and a Philips coming out next month. Hopefully they'll be what I need.

Questions over!

Thanks guys and girls
Paul

paulgardam said:
I'm thinking of spending about 1K on an LCD screen. My needs are as follows:

DVI port for the PC (needs to display pc full screen @ native res)
Preferably Picture in Picture for watching TV whilst on the pc
Quick response time for gaming
widescreen (obviously)
Connections for a DVD and Sky (preferably component)

Not too bothered about Hi-def yet as this is only a TV for the bedroom, and working for Sky has taught me that 2006 means 2008 - by which time I'll probably want a new TV by then anyway.

Is there any screen out there that will cater for all that? Is there a huge difference in picture quality in having 1366x768 pixels over 1280x768? Also, how good is Pixel plus and what do other manufacturers have in terms of a similar tech? Are Sharp the best make of LCD and how good are philips and LG? I've been looking at the LG RZ26LZ50, which seems to have all but the 1366 res, and the philips 26pf9946 (everything but component). I am patient so don't have to buy right away if you know of anything coming out soon. I've heard about a Toshiba and a Philips coming out next month. Hopefully they'll be what I need.

Questions over!

Thanks guys and girls
Paul

LoL , Paul you been tapping into my brain waves :eek:

Your post is pretty much verbatum what I would really like to know , my needs are more PC game based than TV usage.

This makes three of us then, although i'd prefer if it also had a d-sub connector as well as the dvi so i can hook it straight into my laptop as well, but i'm pretty sure thats not going to happen.
At the moment i'm thinking the the outgoing Toshiba 26WL46 looks the best value compromise, however i'd be seriously annoyed if i couldn't run 1366x768 with it hooked to a pc (as is being suggested is a problem with the new Toshiba 32" in another thread).

I'd love it if could be patient for once though and something perfect will come out soon, but that never happens with me!

I have roughly the same requirement, and have been looking at the new Toshiba 27WL46 for £950.

I am going to have a look at it on the weekend, it seems a very good price - a 27" screen for the price of most decent 22" ones.

By the way, I don't think that the 26WL46 has DVI, but the 27WL46 has.

Correct, the 26WL46 doesn't have DVI, but it does have the d-sub i'd want to plug my laptop into.. Where did you find specifications of the the 27WL46, let alone a price of £950?? A quick google turns up little which tends to suggest they are still a way off from release?

buyyourav.com has them adveritsed at £950 + delivery.

Electricalscentre has them for £1000 including a free DVD player. The picture on that site is wrong, though - it is of the 26WL46.

The fact that these are not on the Toshiba Stasia website suggests they won't actually be available for a while.

how about the Hitachi 28" some places just over £1000 not sure about its horiszontal probs. but highly reviewd

digital direct under £1000 only £984.

daveb975 said:
buyyourav.com has them adveritsed at £950 + delivery.

Electricalscentre has them for £1000 including a free DVD player. The picture on that site is wrong, though - it is of the 26WL46.

The fact that these are not on the Toshiba Stasia website suggests they won't actually be available for a while.

I have seen a few dodgy reports about Electricalscentre so beware. I sent them an email and asked if they had the 27WL46 in stock (I specifically said NOT 26WL46) and they said they did. I wasn't convinced!

Buyyourav.com are hping to have the 27WL46 in limited quantity in early November.

They expect supply to be tight until after Christmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom