1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Sagem HD D-45 Picture configuration

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Pepe, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Pepe

Pepe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hi just received this nice set on Friday and I have been messing with it during the weekend. I am curious about how other owners of this beauty have configured the picture options (value of brightness, contrast etc) or if you just use the default "cinema" etc picture options.

I have used the set to play videogames via RGB only and have not yet tested it with movies and progressive scan. I was used to a smaller Sony CRT and the picture feels a bit weird to me, I cant’s get the real mixture of bright and contrast and make the colors more natural and less intense.

I have the same feeling if I compare it with my Toshiba Retroprojector. It feels a bit like watching one of those bright flat LCD computer monitors, as if the image were too shiny.

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When I used DVE PAL edition I got the best results with brightness and contrast both set to the default of 50. I have sharpness at the lowest, -10. I'd be interested to see what others have as well just in case I calibrated mine incorrectly :)

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    My settings did not end up very far away from default. I have sharpness down to minimum.

Pepe: try running it in 'Eco' mode. It took me a while to get used to it and convince myself it was better, but now leave it on all the time. The novelty of very-white whites wore off after a while. Much more controlled in the 'Eco' mode. The full lamp setting is still there if you need to watch in bright daylight, etc.

4. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i told the people on this forum, that the Sagem HD45 picture is a little more worse than the Sagem HD50, I also played around in the shop with the setting, cut down the brightness, trying to change the sharpness, but picture looked much to sharp and overcontrasted to me, like some plasmas. With the pic settings I could not get the same pic quality as the Sagem Axium HD50 which was on the right side of the HD45.
    (funny thing was they both react on the same remote :) )

Because of its lighty bulb you can see every noise and artifact, etc especially on SD material and analog TV.

On HD material the PQ seems too have much too aggressive picture contrast and looking simply digital, while the Axium HD50 has that "real-life-I am in there-quality"

I`m going to buy a DLP RearPro because of the smooth PQ, cinema-like colours, so if a DLP display gets me the plasma PQ its out of race, as the Sagem HD45.

This is the best example that higher contrast is not every time a plus:

The US RD50 and the Sagem Axium 501 are displays with one of the very best contrast ratios, no plasma does reach this value, so maybe the Axium HD45 hast too much light and contrast which gets me to the conclusion that the US RD50 and HD50 both have the ideal contrast light ratio for best picture.

I`ll go with the european version of RD50 and I`ll hope I will like the PQ and the contrast/light amount :rolleyes:

best regards
    hifiboom

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The uk version of the RD50 has approx 20% more contrast than the american model
    as it uses the HD2+ chip

6. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Steve I know, but I think the europe RD50 uses the same bulb as the the Sagem Axium/ US RD50 while the Sagem HD45 seems to use a new lamp,....
    they show up a brightness of 700 cd/m² on the product page and contrast is also higher: 3000:1.
    While the viewing size is 5" smaller which is about 15% smaller screen size compared to the 50" RD50/HD50. That even does multiplicate the effect of contrast and brightness.

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a screen is to bright it can have an adverse effect on the black levels there are only 256 levels to play with using a PC & only a range of 16-235 with other sources.
    Texas Instrument's put a new dark coating on the back of the mirror's to reduce reflections they also increased the angle of tilt from 10 to 12 degrees the mirrors also have less wasted space between them all this was done to increase contrast levels.
    I read today that one Sagem HD45 owner is running his set in eco mode because he get's a better picture that way.
    Besides there isn't an industry standard to measure brightness & contrast every manufacturer measures differently.
    Lies, dammed lies & statistics

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Using 'Eco' mode on the lamp preserves contrast potential, but reduces peak whites and colour intensity (although the latter is separately adjustable).

A good example is watching 'E4'. They have a tendency to briefly show 100% white screen flashes during the channel trailers between shows. With the lamp on full, these whites are eye-ball searing out of the box (though are tamed by setting the contrast and brightness carefully). Eco mode still gives a bright white, but better controlled and peak limited.

9. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Steve: I would say the light doesnt affect the blacks to much, because HD2+ chip can absorb light very good. due to
    as you said.

I think it is just this multiplicator: HD2+ chip -> more contrast, more powerful lamp in combination with the new TI chip -> even more contrast and finally the smaller size which does add contrast too ( Screen size is proportional to the contrast and the brightness)