Your record collection & the rarest

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by vespats, Apr 25, 2007.

1. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi im a big record collector been collecting for over 11 years now and just wanted to know if anyone else on this forum as the same interest.
    I have a collection of over 5000 record's lp's & 7" ranging from northern soul to pop, and would love to chat with other's.

2. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Bought a TT a couple of months ago and have now bought all my albums down from the loft (nearly 700 LP's) and haven't played a CD since I started moving them. Don't know about rarest but discovered on Monday that my copy of Regatta, The first Police album is on blue vinyl. Pity it sounds so dire.

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Quite a few on here are interested in vinyl, some having returned to using, many first taking up it due to the current crop of affordable, good quality TT's. You should get some feedback on queries you may make.

My collections not that big, only 700 lp's but it keeps growing despite attempts to prune it by dumping the non or low played albums.

My rarest? Hard to say. Probably one of the MFSl lp's, one of the other half-speed masters, Pink Floyd's 'Wish you were here' on blue vinyl, or Curved Airs 'Air conditioning' on picture disc. The sound is lousy on the latter, but what do you expect for the first ever picture disc? ;)

4. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,071
  5. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My rarest:

Oasis - i am a walrus = £300
    arctic monkey's - five minutes with ep = £65+
    libertines - what a waster = £40+
    several northern soul single = £50+ each
    Oasis - shakermaker = £30+
    and various other's

6. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,071
    ... is that rare because its a misprint? :D

7. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Yeah it's late at night missed the "the" out should read "i am the walrus" this is the rarest record i own bought it 2 years ago for £50 and just last week one was sold on Ebay for over £300 very good investment.:cool:

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Please don't mention the words 'rare' and 'investment'.:rolleyes: It sends shivers down my spine!

My mother had the copy of 'Please please me' with the ultra rare Gold Label, the one that has recently fetched a few grand on Ebay (one went for £3,500). I found out it's worth in about 89', while I was at work one day flicking through Record collector, I got home, belted round to mums, and asked where it was? On that day, can you believe this, she'd thrown it away! Aaaaaaaaaagh! :eek:

"Never could stand it she said, even though I loved them at the time"........... I hadn't the heart to tell her what it was worth, even back then.:(

That dustman (they always pull items like that out) must have thought Christmas came early.

*sobs*

9. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    A couple of weeks ago I went to a jumble sale and for 20p brought a 45 record from 1965 by a group called the Syndicats. They were an early British blues band. One of the group, Steve Howe, went on to form the band YES. It is a demo record. The last one sold on ebay for £177!:D

At the same jumble I brought a Denon DP 55 K record deck with a SAEC tonearm for a £5 in full working order.:clap:

10. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my Dad

He was on about owning Todd rundgren's Wizard a True Star hope i got that right. On vinyl many moons ago.. cough.. Someone borrowed it never bought it back. Was saying only a couple of years ago. Saw it in Virgin for for £3 in a sale on CD. Had other things on his mind and did not buy it. He See's now that its worth quite a bit of money. He asks do any of you guys remember that album. Did you like it. Dad says the album cover alone is worth a mention. The art work.

Something else a bit of triva. Dad asks in the 70's there were two albums that he remembers cost 50p when they were new. what! i hear you gasp.. Dad asks anyone remember them. One was Faust Tapes the other was a Warner sampler he remembers had Graham central station and little feet and something called Bad motor scooter on it . Vaguely Remembers a yellow cover..... Beyond me.

Anyone ?

[email protected] for her dad

11. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Heres a picture of the Todd Rundgren album. It is rather nice art work.
    http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=120048958302

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Have a fairly large collection of Queen vinyl (amongst other things)

THe rares ones include...

Seven Seas of Rhye - French PS - £350
    Killer Queen - Yug PS - £150
    Jazz - Pic Disc - £250
    Hammer To Falls - Live PS 7" - £200
    Love of My Life - Spain PS - £175
    News of the World - Green Vinyl £75
    (Cost me 50p from a second hand record shop in Manchester)
    Night At The Opera - White Vinyl £50

Alas no elusive Bo Rhap purple vinly :(

13. BackBeat

BackBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My rarest is a Led Zep single in a picture sleeve of with "Rock and Roll" on the A side and "Four Sticks" on the other.

A 70's 50p LP that comes to my mind is "Camembert Electrique" by Gong. Also "Relics" by Pink Floyd I'm sure was 99p when it first came out.

By the way, "Bad Motor Scooter" was by Montrose.

14. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I still have my 99p Relics, and if i recall the two 50p albums that i bought were Faust Tapes and Radio Gnome Music, both of which i no longer have as i sold them to friends in the late 70's as i never played them anymore.

And talkig of Montrose i have their debut on vinyl as well, Bad motor scooter, Space station no 5, it's still a belter.

15. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    not sure about the GCS album, but all larry grahams 70s albums are worth getting, as are the sly/family stone albums

something interesting to read is this link with an interview with russ titleman who worked on many projects and with many people i've met and admire greatly, from larry graham to chaka khan, george benson and prince, and the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies "performance" by nic roeg, where he played with randy newman and ry cooder

oh, he also worked with both phil spector and brian wilson in the early days, and eric clapton in later times

there's a part where he mentions marcus miller playing larry grahams track hair at 16rpm so he can learn the bass parts, thats a fonky track

http://www.spectropop.com/RussTitelman/index.htm

as for my rarest record? it's probably one of my prince promo's. i've got a few 12"s and cds with unreleased mixes and tracks, some stuff had pressings of 1000 copies, some only 50 copies, some of it was for in house use at his studio, so that kind of stuff is nice to have, especially when it's music thats not been released officially. i've also got a few in house videos, one of which is for a single that was never released. he had a clearout once and i picked up a whole bunch of stuff that would go for a few quid on fleabay, like several cds worth £100 each to collectors

apart from that, i think some of my "the the" stuff like the early 12"s and banned sleeve for infected (i got 2 copies of that) must be pretty rare, and i have a few signed things, such as an oasis promo single for the 1st track of the third album, which i think is the original band except it's the second drummer, not the original guy, but it's got liam and noel's signature and it's got promo only etc printed on it. dunno what thats worth now. i've got promo versions of most of the oasis early cd singles. best of all, most of my really rare stuff cost next to nothing, or nothing at all :D

16. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,284
    I still have the vinyl version of A Wizard, A True Star. I don't think it would sound the same on CD. It's a very long album for vinyl which kinda gives it a sound of it's own. The CD might sound better in a technical sense but it wouldn't the album I know

All the best
    Bri

17. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies for the wizard thing The Graham central station was just a track on the sampler cd along with the Montrose. Bad motor scooter and Little feat. Thanks for the Montrose nudge that was the name dad was trying to think of

Couple more. He wrote down . Album “Unlock The Gates” By Gypsy another nice cover angles on
    Line up includes David Palmer vocal yes him Steely Dan Chicago horn section. Why this come to mind. RCA changed the thickness or the way they made vinyl. It was much thinner like paper compared to the other albums he bought. Why the change Dad asks was it economics?

Also The first 12 inch single anyone remember. Undisputed Truth. You Plus Me Plus love. Any one remember that.

[email protected]~~ for her Dad

18. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,284
    The general quality of vinyl declined very badly at one point. It was blamed on an oil/petrol shortage as I recall. The records became very thin and would warp, you could get sea sick watching the stylus bob up and down. I think it was just an excuse to cut costs and up profits. I was forever taking faulty albums back. There were other problems too such as rough cardboard inners that would scratch the records.

Cheers
    Bri

19. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this is allowed logging into to my daughters account. My apologies if I or we broken any rules. Seems silly to have two accounts when we live in the same house and share the same interests.

Anyway. I miss the actual record buying and collecting. Every label even was a house hold name
    Everyone new who Decca and Parlophone were by just the colour of the sleeves. Checking out the B side of the latest stones or Beatle track was as exciting as playing and as much a conversation piece as the A sides..

Did you keep yours on shelves in your room to. Did you keep them in labels or artists when you bought singles . Ours or there no longer mine were a family .. There for all of us to enjoy. So there on shelves. They still bring a lot of interest from my wife and Daughter who seem regularly discovering new band or artist or song she never heard that was out before she was born. The LP has become a weight problem with the volume of albums we have inherited recently.

There is another great bonus to. What with the internet. Because Lisa and my wife have such a great interest in music as well. They surf to find out more about who and what there listening to. Which in its self becomes an education or history lesson. The big smile comes when Lisa finds the Guitar tabs of something that she found in the collection and in a few hours singing the song to us with all the chords worked out. What’s more were all talking to each other constantly about music which must drive people outside of our family group mad. But we do not really give a hoot.

I appreciate we need progress of course I do. I love the quality of the CD. But what a great hobby record buying was when the singles and albums were around what with the covers the labels the artwork. I wonder whether any ones ever thought through a music museum to catch this moment in time. Would open up job opportunities for music historians and researchers. Imagine going into the museum to see all the Beatle and rolling stones singles albums and other artist like yes ect and all those great covers we all so much have been part of our teenage lives on display. My mother collected all the Beatle monthly magazines. Except for volume one. I believe its all worth keeping don’t you.?

There is a question that always intrigued me about a LP. Can anyone tell me please Was it my imagination or dose the quality diminish as the stylus reaches past the middle of the record that’s playing. I always thought in my head that the last track on a album never sounded very good . Compared to the first song or was this my imagination.

My daughter covered this in General chat I appreciate not so long back But I was telling her how I used to have the ferrograph reel to reel Tape machine and I had a Phillips 4307 always plugged in the radio on Sunday for the top 40. I had it of to an art. Record mirror open at the chart page. Tom Browne on the controls at the other end. Trying to record each song without getting Toms voice on the recording.. I wish I had have recorded Toms voice now. Its funny how your Deceptions change about things.

Going now Lisa is up awake bright eyed bushy tailed now I see she was still up 6 this morning !! By her last post.

Thanks for letting me share the memory

John Burrell

20. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Yeah, that came about late 71-74. However, it's not consistent across labels. The worst culprit was RCA, I have a few really duff, thin as paper LP's from them, and from EMI as well. But others like WB, Decca, Charisma, Polydor, Virgin etc, all kept up a reasonable, or, as in the likes of Deccas case, excellent, standard. All of my Decca LP's from 67-78' are on thick, heavy vinyl.

Things got better again through the 70's, but then declined sharply in the 80's. Roughly around the time CD's came out............:D I wonder why!?:rolleyes:

21. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vinyl has got better the last few years especialy 7" ones. I buy 5 - 20 new ones a week and a lot of them are nice and thick which is always good.

Also making a lot of colured vinyl again and different picture sleeves.

The biggest problem is the new bands alot of them are releasing first single 500 only which are hard to get hold of then go for stupid money on ebay.

22. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,284
    John

No problem with me that you're using Lisa's account. Nice to hear from you.

If you think about it each groove on a LP provides just under 2 seconds of sound. As the LP plays each 2 sec groove is shorter than the previous one. By the time you get to the last one it's much shorter than the first so the last 2 seconds are recorded on much less vinyl than the first 2. This must be what you are hearinng. This system is called Constant Angular Volocity (CAV).

CDs use Constant Linear Volocity (CLV). Unlike LP they start from the inner "groove" and play towards the outter one. The CDs rotational speed is constantly slowing down.so each "groove" is getting longer and so provides a little more music on each rotation. There should be no sound degradation as on LP.

Hope this makes sense.

All the best
    Bri

23. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Good summary Brian.

It also involves a whole lot of other factors though, tbh. These include (but aren't all by any means) tracking ability, tonearm quality, and last, but by no means least, the styli. With large 'cheap' styli, usually MM cartridges, this effect is much more noticeable. This is because the stylus doesn't fit into the groove properly and cannot read (very much of) all the data that is there. As it moves across the record therefore, as the grooves become tighter, a cheap MM (or cheap MC tbh) reads less and less data, giving increasingly noticeable drop in sound quality. With more expensive styli, many of which are shaped differently to drop right into the groove, the amount of data retrieved expands exponentially, and that effect is greatly reduced. On a very large number of LP's you don't notice it at all. Again though, that is also influenced by other factors.

In fact, tests have shown, that despite the problems Brian has outlined (correctly) LP vinyl can hold more information than a standard Compact disc. There was in fact at one stage (I have the article from NS in the early 90's) talk of using vinyl with laser readers as it can hold such a vast amount of information. However, DVD was born and that particular avenue was abandoned. At least as far as we know.

The problem with vinyl is getting the data off it. Even with the very best styli, and this is, to be fair, an area steadily getting better, only about 55-65% (at best) of what vinyl holds is extracted. Whereas with a good quality CD player the vast majority (see below) of data is retrieved.

CD's of course, unlike vinyl, are made up of only little oval(ish) pits which contain 0 & 1's. The sequences of these are read by the laser, then transferred to the DAC which converts them back into sound. In the process, the better CD players try to prevent as little loss in the signal as possible. With the use of CLV, the data is spread over the disc more evenly, but again though, this is not a constant factor as CD players don't read at a consistent speed, unless they cost a lot of money that is, and as such data retrieval isn't as good on some players as others. Add in the use of compression, data protection features such as soft sectors, and the playing field (bizarrely!) levels out. In the department of dynamic range, it shouldn't be a level field as Brian says, but thanks to poor engineering, the desire to make CD's 'ideal for portability' and paranoia, it is.

What a crazy bunch the CD producers are!:rolleyes: :suicide:

24. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Huge thank you for all that information. We had to read it a couple of times. To understand it, but getting there.

I must apologies to Vespats for destroying his thread. I am sorry. Sorry that i took your thread of the rails slightly. [email protected]~~

Wonder if we can get your thread rolling again by asking you what the first record CD or tape Any one remember tapes Will they ever find a collectors market. Whats your most cherrish Item and why. :)

All at burrell towers.

25. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    My first LP? Easy! Led Zeppelin II, bought from my local HMV. Rather bizarrely, it's still my all time favourite album - although it took a few weeks to grow on me at the time.

When I first bought LP's I used to keep everything in the order I bought them, then adding behind the first LP of an artist every new album of theirs I collected. As such, and unlike the rest of the collection, the first 100 or so give a unique snapshot of how my music taste changed. All my subsequent LP's, CD's and Hi-res are in alpha order. Boring I know, but it's easier not to repeat buy that way.

My first ten albums were:-

Led Zep - II
    Beatles - Abbey Road
    Elton John - Don't shoot me I'm only the Piano player
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Pink Floyd - DSOM
    Rush - Farewell to Kings
    Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
    Deep Purple - 24 Carat Purple
    Black Sabbath - Vol 4
    Rainbow - Rising

'Heavy' stuff huh!:D

26. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first ever record i can remember buying was breakdance soundtrack still got it now, would never sell it still love a few tracks on it.

Also remeber buying lisa lisa and the cult jam, i wonder if i take you home on 12" still love that aswell.

My most cherished item tho is my copy of i am the walrus by oasis very sought after aswell and picked mine up for a nice £50 a couple of years ago.

27. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,284
    How do you remember this? I've been trying to remember my first album but I can't. To my great shame I can remember my first single Sugar, Sugar by The Archies. You know whats worse? I still like it. Can't believe I'm owning up to this.

Cheers
    Bri

28. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Only because, as I say, sad as I am, I kept those first albums in the order I bought them! :D Otherwise I'd have no chance!

29. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had a 7" Springsteen "Rosalita" Dutch release which I bought for £4 way back when, sold it the other year on ebay for £250

Also had a 1 track cd promo single of Springsteen's "One Step Up" sold that for £101

still got a few rare items, must dig them out and have a look on the bay of E

30. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a good buy brought just over a 1000 7" singles of someone for £35, just been flicking through and there is a few foreign picture sleeves beatles, which must be worth more than £35 alone. Also several smiths records all in good condition on original rough trade. Best of all a copy of Brother hood of man " save all your kiss'es for me" :rotfl: