1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your recommendations??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by OldSkoO1, Nov 27, 2004.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi guys

Im not finding much info on the net about all in one sytems and reviews and i like to read up on things before i buy. Ive read through this forum but im still confused.

As far as it goes, ive seen a JVC THS8 which seems to fit the bill for what i need. Does anyone have experience of this system? I cant find any reviews on it! :( I did find a review on here for the THS9 system which seem to suggest its a nice little system. I really dont know if there is much difference between the S8 and S9 though.

Also is there any other system anyone can recommend. I do need a optical in for my xbox and DPL2 from my NTL cable box. Also my better half likes the systems that come with nice fitted stands (hence the JVC THS8). We saw the Sony SC8 but its a big system and the SC5 looks good but apparently its discountiued. I dont want to spend more than £400. The Denon 500SD is out of the question unfortunatly as she doesnt like the wooden finish. Doh!

Hope you can help us out :D

THanks in advance!!

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Denon is the best system in my opinion. The wooden finish is only on the top/bottom of the speakers and the sub woofer. The latter could be hidden. The speakers feel substantial and a lot better than the speakers that came with my last Sony system.

The point is the quality of the sound not how it looks. Why buy a substandard system just because the speakers look good?

3. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I understand you situation regarding your other half and the look of the system - I've been there. Alas though, I have to agree that the majority of opinion is in favour of the Denon DHT 500, the sound is excellent and has knocked spots of of it's peer group. Any chance of re-convincing her that the wood finish on top and botttom of the speakers is actually very nice? Has she seen it in the flesh - it looks better than it does in the pictures.

4. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree, if i could, i'd buy the denon tomorrow but sadly it didnt rub with her. She loves the living room and is one of her favourite rooms in the house and takes pride in its decor. She said the denon's wood finish looks old fashioned. I agree with everything you say its all about the sound but women really dont see it that way, unfortunatly.

It it was possible to convince her i'd have to get some decent mounts/stands that look passible for sleek design, any ideas?

Also still looking for oppinions on the JVC system. The THW8 (wireless) version of the one im looking at came top in its group in what home cinema magazine this month. If the wired version has that standard i'd go for it and spend the extra cash on a dvd recorder :)

5. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Oldskoo1 I am a woman and I think sound is very important :) . I have just recently bought the 500 after extensive research. Admittedly I was not too struck on a slightly wooden finish but the reviews of the product far outweighed the looks of the speakers and subwoofer. However, after not seeing it in the metal (and it is in the metal none of this plastic stuff) and seeing it for the first time at home, I was extremely impressed by the build of it. The speakers do look extremely classy alongside the subwoofer and stand out as being different. Denon's own speakers SS30 look very sleek (on avland site) and are obviously purpose built. I am awaiting a delivery on mine.

All I can suggest is that you keep reading What Hifi, Stuff, etc which may give you reviews on other systems. I am sorry you are not able to get the 500. :)

6. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think i've persuaded the better half into letting me buy the the denon :thumbsup: :clap:

Now my next task is to find some classy mounts. As far as i can see there doesnt seem to be that much cosmetic difference in AVF speaker stands from argos and the official denon ones.

Any ideas on mounting? I'll have a look through the forums as ive seen tonnes of posts on the denon system.

But, thanks very much for all the info you've posted. :D

7. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    These are un-obtrusive speaker mounts and work perfectly, look good and come with the necessary screws to attach to the speaker bottoms.

http://www.avf.co.uk/product.php?cat=HF&product=P6199

They're handy as you can mount them in many ways, so very flexible - Currys and B&Q stock them (B&Q were deinitely cheaper at the time.

As far as speaker stands go, the Denon ones on their web-site are suitable and available from AV Land

Hope this helps

Nathan

8. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the same rear speaker brackets as Nathan and would recommend them also. For the front speakers I have ordered the Denon ones. I had a look around in the local shops for suitable stands but the majority of them were for speakers that screwed in on the back. The Denon ones screw in underneath which limits the choice of stands you can have.

Delighted you are getting the Denon kit, just read another excellent review of it in the DVD Reviewer mag.

9. cyrusdad3

cyrusdad3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend Yamaha DVX s150. Picture and sound are great, 2 audio inputs, 1 optical input. Since has cinch output for active sub, You can add other manufacturers' speakers at later date.