Your questions for DTS U.S. Tell us what they are and we'll ask the top 5

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,591
    [​IMG] This is David Del Grosso. He is the Vice President of Marketing for DTS in the US.
    Today he kindly greed to answer the 5 most popular/interesting questions posed by Home Cinema Choice Online visitors.
    So what do you want to know about DTS? Given the opportunity to ask 5 questions of the DTS organisation, what would they be?
    Reply with your question(s) below.

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: Spectre ]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What advantages do you see D.T.S. having over other surround formats such as Dolby Digital?

martinc

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,443
    Dolby last year did a listening test using one of your encoders,and turned this into a comparative test,which strangly dolby said their digital system was the better of the two technologies.

I have to say i prefere DTS on DVD,(i liked it even more on LD,but thats another question)and i would say that in a blind test i could tell you what was DD and DTS.

So i guess the question is will DTS do a blind test with experts and members of the general public in an independant Location to finally put to bed the DD V's DTS debate?

[This message has been edited by THX 1138 (edited 24-02-2001).]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am living in Australia currently and so far we have only had one major movie release on DVD with a DTS audio track. When can we expect to see more DVD's with DTS audio tracks on them?
    I believe the situation is much the same in the UK at the moment and I think that we all feel a little left out when you look at the amount of DTS discs in the US.
    Most DVD buyers have DTS compatible DVD players and amps so we would like to be able to use that feature more often.
    I know that I would certainly buy DTS discs over DD discs if they were more readily available.
    Thanks.
    Neil Hamilton

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Neildo/index.html

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,591
    We will be asking two (additional) questions:
    1) There seem to be several new rival but similar sound formats from Dolby and DTS recently. What are the differences between DTS Neo 6 and Dolby Prologic II (if any) and don't you think the increasing number of formats is confusing to the consumer?
    2) With 5.1 sound promised for electronic gaming, we have already seen 'cut scenes' where a piece of video is played with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. But this is hardly interactive. Do you see games such as Quake with full in-game 5.1 surround? What problems do the real-time in-game encoding of a digital audio stream present, and have DTS overcome them?

To THX1138, you can read the Dolby press release at http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/techarticles/DolbyVsDTS/Dolby.shtml
    and the DTS reply at http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/techarticles/DolbyVsDTS/DTS.shtml

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 24-02-2001).]

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why has DTS reduced the data rate on recent releases as it claimed the higher rate would be benefitial to the sound and use this as the main argument over it's competitors?

7. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have nothing specific to ask, but my vote goes to Reiner for his question!

Thanks

Gareth H

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,591
    Reiner - even DTS's lower rate is higher than Dolby's. But specifically what titles are you referring to?

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question would be:

Will Jurassic Park be released again on DVD with a corrected DTS soundtrack?

(just to add: I was at DTS in Augora Hills, LA, last November and met with both David DelGross and Lorr Kramer as part of the Home Theater Forum national meet. Mr. DelGrosso and Mr. Kramer both expressed sincere disappointment with how the DTS DVD of Jurassic Park (R1) had been handled.

We later heard from a high-up person at the DVCC compression centre that they had been told to expect a re-run of the disc with a new soundtrack at some point. I would just like to know if there has been any update on the situation since).

Rob

[This message has been edited by Rob Gillespie (edited 24-02-2001).]

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question would be:

With new sound technologies like DTS-ES 6.1 and DD-EX being introduced, how do you see the future of multi-channel sound for movies, and in your opinion what other ways (if any) would there be to improve the "movie-goers" experience?

11. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question would be:

How can us poor souls in the UK get their hands on the DTS sampler discs at prices less than the current £55 for volume 4 (the bulk of this being made up of shipping charges).

Pathfinder

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know if their is any type of long term global policy/strategy for DTS as a company. I realise that we in England have a regional office (and strangely the web address for contacting/hitting the Japanese branch no longer seems to exist!) but to all intent and purpose the supply for the domestic DTS market here is practically none existant!!! Whilst again i understand that you yourselves have no control over the decisions made regarding (for instance) the DVD soundtrack format of a particular film, for those of us that wish to have the option requires the importation of discs from at least other countries if not continents! It would be nice to know that for the devoted/ardent enthusiasts of which i beleive there are many and ever growing there were "plans" afoot to allow us all an equal bite of the proverbial apple.

Regards

SteveEX

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Spectre, this is not a question of any specific title but the marketing argument by DTS.
    We are all given the impression that less compression means better sound (which I do not want to question here) and that's what DTS promised with it's initial data rate which was much higher than Dolby Digital's.
    Now they have reduced it by half and are not that far of the Dolby Digital rate.

So what's the argument I should now by a DTS DVD instead of one with DD soundtrack?

If you really want an example I can name Roy Orbison "Black and White Night" where I am not able to hear a difference between the DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 soundtrack (except that the LFE on the DD track is louder).
    Both do not sound bad actually, in fact they both sound superb!

14. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    Probably not the most clever questions, more thoughts than anything but.....

When DVD and DTS was originally taking off why choose the films that you did ( DAYLIGHT, OUT OF SIGHT, THE JACKAL Etc ) as your first batch of releases ? I understand that these films were brought out by DTS but why these films ?

Every now and then the question of posters, sample CDs or DTS plaques crops up, why are these not more easily available ( and cheaply ) to people in the UK ? Is there no chance that a small A4 card like poster ( similar to that HCC gave away for DOLBY a few years back ) could be produced and given away with each issue ?

Why can you now ( both you and Dolby ) not just give up and be happy with the sound you have created ? I understand the move from mono to stereo to pro-logic to 5.1 but things are now getting silly, 7.1 sound is good but not THAT good, how far can it go ?

Can you answer the THX question that is going on in one of the other forums, as to should THX mode be used on amps that have it.

And the final one is probably stupid but, what recommended settings do you have for mr average home cinema to bear in mind when trying to get the best from there amp and speakers ?

15. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Not a specific question (far too thick) but I concur with Pathfinder above - I would love to have 1 or all of the DTS Demo discs but whilst their actual cost is low the shipping asked for makes them far too expensive ...
    If there are no plans to have a European base for DTS why not strike up a deal with one of the etailers to distribute their demos & other merchandise ?

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

16. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to continue with this, what do you see as the limit with respect to multi channel audio.

HOw many channels can we expect to see appearing in the near future and can we expect to get three dimensions of sound with the addition of an upper channel?

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H
    but got bored so it became some latin sh*t

17. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Some computer technology companies now incorporating 3D audio into their sound cards. This effectively provides surround sound from 2 channels (For example headphones). Has DTS considered introducing an alternative in the Audiophile market?

18. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you going you going to forward these messages or use them to compile a list?

------------------

19. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finally,

do you think dts has lost the edge in terms of sound quality which it possesed over dolby in the move from laserdisc to DVD?

------------------

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,591
    I'll choose the 5 best.
    Any more?

21. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question would also be...

"How can us poor souls in the UK get their hands on the DTS sampler discs at prices less than the current £55 for volume 4 (the bulk of this being made up of shipping charges)."

The email back from DTS customer services was a joke..."our costs have gone up" dispite telling them that Amazon charge $8...

22. Digikid

Digikid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would ask the same as above. I have just asked the DTS online store if there was any other way of reducing the shipping cost for one disc. The sample disc was $10, shipping was $47.00....there reply was "Unfortunately at this time our only shipping method to the U.K. is Fedex International" This seems strange as other companies can ship for $10 or less.

23. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,591
    Thanks - the questions have been sent to David. I will create an article in the interview section when we receive the reply, and post an update here.

24. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,443
    Spectre,

What were the questions asked then.

25. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like I've missed the opportunity, but my question would have been to ask why DTS have encoded all of their DTS ES Discrete 6.1 soundtracks at the lower 754kbps bit-rate. This bit-rate was always a compromise to allow longer films with more soundtrack options, but using this data rate for 6.1 seems like yet another backward step.

Since DTS must encode all 6.1 soundtracks in-house for the immediate future, why not attempt to re-take the high ground by insisting on the use of 1509kbps.

Lowering the system's bit-rate is bad enough, but increasing the number of audio channels at the same time just doesn't make sense.

Adam

26. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,591
    We have received the reply email from David answering the questions we posed.
    You can read it in the interviews page of the articles section.

27. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JP section was interesting. I wonder exactly what has been changed with the new soundtrack and if Universal will put their hand up and admit the error.

28. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wast quite intersted in that reply too. Will the findings of the new version be put on this site or will we have to wait to see the results in the magazine first?

If there is a marked difference in this new version, do you think there will be a possible swap for all 'faulty' versions that are out there?

------------------
    "Why don't we wait here a while...see what happens..."
    The member formaly known as Jason

29. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,591
    Here is the reply in full.

HCCO : There seem to be several new rival but similar sound formats from Dolby and DTS recently. How would you describe the differences between DTS Neo 6 and Dolby Prologic II (aside from the different configuration of channels) and do you think the increasing number of formats is confusing to the consumer?

David : DTS Digital Surround and Dolby Digital represent 5.1 or 6.1 channels of discrete audio, so that 6-channel masters can be delivered as they were mixed. The new DTS Neo:6 and Dolby ProLogic II circuits are both "matrix" decoders that convert a 2-channel source into 5.1 or 6.1-channel surround... which adds value to your system, simply because there are thousands of stereo mixes that will never be available in discrete surround. We are confident that consumers will accept and appreciate having both discrete and matrix options. As for, DTS -vs- Dolby, in both cases the DTS decoders deliver a more engaging surround experience, even though Dolby salesmen insist that this is not the case.

HCCO : We have heard several reviews of Neo 6 stating that there is a problem with center channel information bleed into the rear speaker(s). Are DTS aware of this issue and is there a fix in the pipeline?

David : Pardon my ignorance on this one. We have yet to receive such a complaint. Please direct me to a specific example of such a review, and I will follow up with an investigation as to the validity of this claim.

(We were referring to the review of the Denon AVC-A1SE in which Bob Tomalski commented 'the downside [of DTS Neo 6] is that the centre-to-rear decoding suffers. Disconnect the front speakers, listen to the rears alone and you hear more speech bleed than with Pro-Logic'. We have send the URL of the review to David for his consideration.)

HCCO : Thinking about the addition of more channels into the home theater, how many channels can we expect to see appearing in the near future and can we expect to get three dimensions of sound with the addition of an upper channel?

David : Of course, 5.1 can be extended into ES 6.1 via the back-channel. And we are certainly aware of other "upper" channel and 10.2 proposals. However, for the time being, I believe that it's safe to advise consumers that they can get a lifetime of incredible entertainment, if they simply focus on creating the best sounding 5.1 playback system that they can afford!

HCCO : With 5.1 sound promised for electronic gaming, we have already seen 'cut scenes' where a piece of video is played with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. But this is hardly interactive. Do you see games such as Quake with full in-game 5.1 surround? What problems do the real-time in-game encoding of a digital audio stream present, and have DTS overcome them?

David : It is very important that these surround soundtracks become authored in a way that allows full interactivity... and DTS is working steadily towards such an announcement. Unfortunately, I cannot reveal the confidential details at this time.

HCCO : DTS movie soundtracks can come in a higher or lower bit rate. Wherever possible, those of us wanting the best possible sound reproduction would prefer the higher bit rate, but it seems like more of the recent releases are getting the lower bit rate. What is DTS doing to persuade DVD authors to use the higher bit rate for maximum sound quality?

David : We often recommend the 2 currently-available solutions. One, is to place all "video extras" onto a separate disc, so that the consumer can watch the movie in one sitting, then enjoy the extra footage at another time. This creates plenty of "space" to include a high bit-rate soundtrack. Second, is the choice to press onto a dual-layer or dual-sided disc. As these "longer playing" discs become more affordable, we believe many studios will use them... resulting in the best video features, plus the best audio quality!

HCCO : Both yourself and Lorr Kramer have expressed disappointment with the region 1 Jurassic Park DTS soundtrack. We have heard that there may be a new version of this DVD with a corrected soundtrack (source : a high-up person at the DVCC compression centre). What do you feel is wrong with the soundtrack on R1 Jurassic Park, and do you have any information on when a re-release might happen?

David : I'll send you a copy of the new pressing so you can decide for yourself if there is any difference. We have received a high volume of complaints that the first batch of Jurassic DVDs exhibited surprisingly low bass levels. Please let us know how you would rate the new pressing.

HCCO : And lastly, the enthusiasm in the UK for DTS seems to be considerable. There are a lot of people here who would love to own the DTS demo DVDs, but the cost of international shipping from the DTS online store is an incredible $45.65, making the total cost of owning the discs $55.65. Amazon's Worldmail shipping method (7 to 26 business days) costs $6, and their International Priority Shipping (1-4 business days) is $19. Do you agree that DTS would be serving their international customers better by offering a couple of shipping methods both with more reasonable pricing?

David : There are options available regarding shipping when the orders are placed. We will research whether or not there are more affordable options that we can make available.

30. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quote:
    HCCO : Both yourself and Lorr Kramer have expressed disappointment with the region 1 Jurassic Park DTS soundtrack. We have heard that there may be a new version of this DVD with a corrected soundtrack (source : a high-up person at the DVCC compression centre). What do you feel is wrong with the soundtrack on R1 Jurassic Park, and do you have any information on when a re-release might happen?

David : I'll send you a copy of the new pressing so you can decide for yourself if there is any difference. We have received a high volume of complaints that the first batch of Jurassic DVDs exhibited surprisingly low bass levels. Please let us know how you would rate the new pressing.

Hmmmm......Does this mean the people who were not happy with the first batch will get their DVD Exchanged?????

Spectre Let us know what the new pressing is like I am VERY interested!!!!

Cheers
    Ace