1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Plasma. Pros and Cons.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TheBigApple, Jan 20, 2003.

1. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As a lot of people seem to be looking for advice every day on this forum about buying a plasma screen, I thought it would be a good idea if members could post information on their own plasma and what you think are its pros and cons, not information that has been pulled out of a technical manual but pros and cons found when using in the home.

Hopefully this will enable members to look in one place for up to date information about a specific model or ask questions before starting a new thread.

If enough people respond, maybe a good idea to make sticky.

I'll start with.

Pioneer PDP433HDE.

I selected this model after viewing quite a few plasmas for the following reasons, which I personally considered to be its pros.
    It works both as a large display but has the functionality of a conventional tv i.e teletext, wide screen switching, scart sockets, without me having to buy extra coverters.
    The picture is very tolerant to all kinds of different lighting conditions.
    The detail on images is very clear.
    You can manualy adjust the horizontal and vertical shift.
    You can have different settings e.g brightness, contrast, colour, sound etc for each of the av inputs.
    Sleep timer.
    Picture in picture.

Cons
    Although the unit doesn't have any fans ( so it is meant to have a silent operation) it does generate a buzz when the image goes bright i.e a cartoon or live broadcast with a lot of sky in the background. I have spoken to several different sources who say this happens on all plasmas, it's either this or have fan noise.
    Does not auto select AV inputs.
    Black levels are more very dark grey than pure black.

Hope this helps someone.

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think the "Real World" feedabck is a good idea Monkeyboy, but unfortunately I haven't bought one yet!
    (will soon though!...)
    Simon

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i really wanted a plasma for about a year but was scared sh**less hearimg about screen burn /connections ,
    so about 6 months ago i bought a philips 42pf9952 with tuner/media box , i choose this model because it looked great
    and was an all in one kit,
    i bought it online from www.nexnix.co.uk after a week i noticed that there was a whole line of pixels missing about an inch up from the bottom, phoned nexnix who said they would repace it straight away also they said ther was a new model just out higher rez and thinner would i like this one instead ? so i went for the new one philips 42pf9964 , a gorgous looking plasma very state of the art looking straight away i noticed problems with the screen , 2 black patches in middle of screen , grey lines in the dark areas too and a few dead pixels, and patchy screen like some areas had a different tint to other area of the same colour,
    phoned nexnix back, who were great ,
    they said maybe its time for a proper plasma now that i have a little bit more know how, so what can i have i said , they suggested the toshiba 42wb16 the clone of the panny4,

24 hours later a box turns up at the door half the size of the philips monster bloody thing,

next day the js box rgb to vga turns up
    i fitted the unicol bracket up myself hung the toshiba on there connected the ntl to vga up and brilliant , a picture 10 times that of the philips

not one dead pixel , next one or 2 adjustments to the contrast and brightness and a few other little tweaks all learnt from this board and a very good picture indeed, some channels are crap though but they crap on other tv in the house too,

next i wander over to the dvd player threads and they all talking about progressive scan , so i got to get one of these , 1 week later a philips 962sa from www.hivizone.com turns up connects it to component and dvds will never be the same amazing picture

over all the best purchase i ever made
    i run the screen saver every night for about 5 mins ( but my shrink says i should try cutting down a bit)
    the night mares are gone ha ha

hope this helps someone

4. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is a cool thread.

I'm going to be taking the plunge very very soon with a Pioneer 503MXE.

I would love to hear about the Pro's and Cons of this display from any owners.

Anyone care to help....

Tim:)

5. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What..., no Pioneer 503MXE owners out there?

Come on folks, I'd really like to understand any pro's/cons from real users before I make the plunge.

Anything appreciated.....

Tim:p

6. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Panny TH42PW5B in Nov 02 from EmpireDirect. It's hooked up to a Sony DAVS550 DVD system / SKY / VCR.

Pros

- Looks cool on or off.
    - Everyone, but everyone, comments on it.
    - On a discreet piece of furniture from quadraspire.co.uk it takes up far less floor space than our old 29" TV. This is very wife-friendly.
    - It opens up many more possibilities for arranging your room than a big TV: Hang it on the wall, put it in a bay. It will just look good in places a big black box wouldn't.
    - If you can relax and enjoy the picture (instead of hunting problems) then everything looks great. Clearly, a crappy image (like poor VCR) thats blown up to 42inch will look even crappier.
    - The experience of watching a DVD has been transformed (we didn't even have WS before). Since we have kids and don't get the chance to go out like we used to, this has made home movie watching a replacement for the cinema for us.

Cons

- It's not as straightforward as a TV
    - When we first watched "normal" TV (like the news) we were a bit overwhelmed by the size and intensity as it was so much more vivid than our old TV.... but it takes only a matter of days to adjust. And love.
    - Lip Sync can be an issue for some (read the other threads on this)
    - Connectivity is complex and takes a while to get your head around (again, this forum here helps big time)
    - Though it doesn't affect me there is a degree of paranoia with screen burn that often goes with the territory
    - Within a matter of months, prepare yourself that your panel will be superceeded by the latest greatest at half the price.

Enjoy !

7. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Excellent thread. Invaluable reading to us 'Gonna-buys'. Look forward to reading more.

8. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

Would I be right in thinking you now have a Philips 963SA DVD player ? How impressed are you with your new Panny / Philips combination for DVD watching ?? This will basically be my new set-up (when they arrive) . . . is picture quality as good as you hoped ??

Thanks,

9. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......wossat ? Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, who ? where ? (turning around looking) Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Oh, its ok, its only the damn! plasma buzzing its head off......... and yes, it is that annoying, and it is Loud !:mad:

The ones that say its not that loud are the ones that are still in denial (pretending its not that loud) and are lying to themselves.

I'm happy with my plasma, but If I knew it buzzed like it does before I bought it , I'd still have my CRT tv.

10. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Come on, 12,000 plus members and no sign of 503MXE Plasma owners.

Once more, pro's and con's of this screen before I take the plunge - I'm getting kinda nervy....

Timbo:D

11. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my toshiba/panny clone does not buzz, me and the misses have spent hours trying to hear it. even on a white screen no buzz i do not think all of the panny`s buzz its just some unlucky ones do, my hearing is senstitive to i can hear my pc and thats not even in the same room so if my plasma buzzed i`m sure i would have picked up on it,

hi montyuk i have a toshiba plasma /philips 962sa and they are a great together, i`m sure you will be very happy with them both

12. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    jmack: stop shouting - we can hear you fine. :clown:

Sorry, just had to do it.

Tim :D :D

13. sjhanson

sjhanson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I bought my 503MXE from Joe Fernand in December and I must say that, so far, I have been very happy with it.

I have connected my Arcam DV88+, Sky Digibox, Xbox/GC/PS2 and my PC.

Pros & cons-:

Pro : The picture using a progressive scan (NTSC & PAL) component feed from the Arcam is just wonderful - bright, vivid and almost 3D.

Pro : The one thing that I have really noticed, and this is true of all plasmas, is the geometry - just perfect, no wonky borders here.

Con : Initially, I had my Sky box through the TIVO but ended up connecting Sky directly as the sheer size and quality of the MXE showed up the MPEG2 re-coding of the TIVO was not quite as good as the original Sky feed. Now, most channels are good, with only the lower bandwith channels showing some compression artifacts. This is just the wonders of digital tv I fear! Sky Digital Plus looks like the next thing on the shopping list.

Pro : Games consoles really are a revelation...
    Con : ...but mind that burn in!!

Pro : Oh, and surfing the net or playing Quake III Arena on a 50inch plasma is something you should experience!

Overall, as I said, I am extrememly pleased - more so than I originally thought I would be.

Con : No widescreen switching for DVD or Sky (at least I haven't figured out a way yet!) You have to manually change the aspect ratio.

Pro : not paying for a terrestrial tuner etc, which I will never use, kept the cost down - although it is still not cheap!

Pro : PDA-5002 card. This seems very impressive and also gives me the flexibility of upgrading my display in the future, as and when new cards become available.

Pro : The WOW factor. Everybody, even my mum, has exclaimed how impressive it is.

I must admit that I have not noticed any major problems with blacks being grey but previous to the Pioneer I had a Tosh rear pro so you may notice it more.

The buzzing I have only noticed on the rare occasion but that probably has a lot to do with having my Denon amp turned up quite high most of the time!

Summary-:
    If you are heavily in to DVD watching then I cannot recommend the 503MXE highly enough.

14. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do yo mean by shouting is my replys in higher case if so i think ive pressed something while messing about in the settings
    sorry let me know

15. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh crap, I just got a TIVO on the basis that when I get a plasma it'll look much better than my VCR (I guess that's still true). Doesn't pressing "Aux" give you pass-through from the digibox (are you saying it's still mpeg encoding the pass through?).
    If you've connected your digibox direct do you have your TIVO connected at all? ('cos I can't work out how you can connect it unless it's the VCR output on your digibox).

If you think this has gone too far off thread, please PM me.

Simon

16. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sjhanson: Excellent feedback. Mr Fernand will be getting my business soon too; he seems a good guy who knows his stuff.

jmack: There was nothing wrong with your post - it was me 'trying' to be funny. i.e. people hard of hearing normally shout...

I'll avoid a career in comedy for a little longer I guess:blush:

Tim:D

17. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    themmings alot of people on here have bought from joe fernand and i have never read a bad report on his service, we know you are after a pioneer 50mxe , what else is going to go in your setup give us something to talk and think about?

18. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

Not got a plasma yet (will do sometime this year). But just to answer the question on the TIVO. Firstly I love my TIVO I use it mainly for its superb season passes and programming. I must admit tho its MPEG2 decoding is terrible. Solarisation can be bad as well as top of screen sometimes wavering on bright scenes. (I hope the HS2 HDD is a lot better when I buy it). Anyhow i've rampled on too long. Pressing AUX totally bypasses the TIVO encoding. The difference between Pure SKY feed after pressing AUX comparred to TIVO's mpeg decoded image is vast. Try watching football and you'll understand. Through TIVO colurs are all wrong and red's bleed terribly.

Ok heres my Plasma question : How does football through the SKybox look on a plasma? I currently have the Phillips 36" monster CRT and it looks processed to hell and poor. Although I realise a lot is to do with the poor Sky signal bandwidth.

Cheers

Deks

19. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi jmack: going for a re-build...

SCREEN: Pioneer 503mxe
    DVD: Arcam DV88+
    SKY SOURCE: Pace Sky+
    RECEIVER: Denon 3803
    SPEAKERS: B&W VM1's x 5
    SUB: RelQ150 or Velodyne CHT-10
    AV RACK: SoundStyle

...oh, and did I mention the rather large overdraft I'll be getting?:eek:

Although it won't be as large as the smile on my face when I watch my small, but growing DVD collection:)

Tim

20. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats sounds like a nice big overdraft and a very nice setup have you seen the thread on the avsforums with all the pics of the pioneer 50 with hd/dvd/sat/ etc some amazing quality picture they are comparing the panny.pioneer and fujitsu some good threads there to keap you drooling till yours comes,

21. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    jmack: where is that thread you were speaking about re. the pics/comparisons?

I feel the need to drool more before I pluck up the courage and make the plunge :p

Tim

22. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its on www.avsforum.com you will find it under display devices then plasma/lcd and i think have a look in the members gallery while your there some nice setups

23. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Since buying my plasma I just had to torture myself and look at some other models, one thing I have noticed is the amount of flicker on the HDE seems to be non-existent compared to other models.

Themmings, have you also seen the "get your plasmas out" thread on this forum.

24. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought a Panny Series 5 42 incher from www.plasma4u.com with a stand in silver. Ideally I wish I got black after seeing one but like others have said, everybody comments on how good the screen is. I first bought the RCA board but now have downgraded :D to the tuner.

More cons than pros but believe me I'm more than happy with the screen:

Pros: Progressive Scan with DVD and Games consoles is out of this world
    Pros: Its a reasonably easy beast to move around and place in areas where you wouldn't consider it.
    Pros: Watching a film really gives you a cinema feel.
    Pros: The picture on this is outstanding, I compared it to a Samsung, Hitachi and Pioneer and the contrast and blacks on the Panasonic were far better than the others.
    Pro: You can use what input you want and what speakers you want.

Con: I spent too much time worrying about the picture and not enough time planning how to connect it to my system.
    Con: With the RCA board you can't use Svideo and composite at the same time. This is just totally stupid and a really **** poor corner cut.
    Con: Only one RGB/Component input screens like this need atleast two.
    Con: Tuner won't auto switch to RGB/AV1 when you switch it on
    Con: Tuner board disables VGA port
    Con: Tuner disables screen saving facility - this is nuts in my view
    Con: Tuner picture quality, imo, is not as good as the RCA board and introduces a very subtle flicker
    Con: The tuners price which is a con.

Neil.

25. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi monkeyboy 73: Your talking about the Pioneer HDE right? And the other models you mention (as it pertains to screen flicker), are they other brands? What screen have you got?

Re. the 'get your plasma's out' thread yes, I've drooled at it many times. Hopefully there will be a picture of mine hanging on the wall in there soon.

Tim:D

26. Big L

Big L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these from Richer Sounds in October 2002

It came with one 'dead' pixel and, what seems to be, the usual Plasma lipsync problem.

I discussed both issues with Pioneer, and it appears the dead pixel is well within spec, as they advised "up to 30 is acceptable..... depending on where they are positioned"

They were surprised that I noticed and was bothered with the lipsync problem but suggested that I swap the tuner box "as this is where all the processing is done" to see if that helps.

Unfortunately, this is where Richer Sounds has let me down very badly

Dispite regular calls, 2/3 times a week since October!!! and a letter from Julian Richer saying I will get a replacement in November!!!, they seem unable or unwilling to arrange a swap :mad:

I eventually had to phone Pioneer myself to sort things out and I should have the replacement shortly.

Good

Connectivity through the tuner box (3 scarts, RGB, S-video & PC Inputs)

Picture Quality

No Noise (no fans)

High Contrast and Brightness levels

Richer Sounds Extended Warranty (250 Quid, for an additional 2 years)

Bad

Lipsync problems with Sky Digital and Dvd (less so with analog signal from Tuner box)

Noticable Jagged edge's to pictures with diagonal lines

Slow picture start up time (around 10 seconds)

Richer Sounds Service (or lack of it)

Hope you find this of interest.

Laurence

27. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I like my Philips 42PF9964, it came with everything I needed to get going, tunner, wall bracket and a choice of DVD recorder or DVD player and Dolby Surround system!

Pros

It has 4 scart connectors, svideo on the front on the tunner box and 2 sub d connectors on the plasma, both of which can be used.
    Dual tuner, split screen, picture in picture, mosaic loads of other nice little touches.
    Zoom function on selected area of screen, 1 4 16x.
    Freeze, snapshot function
    Very fast teletext and no hanging around for the page to change, I change it as I want!
    Its resolution is the highest I have on the market, max 1024 * 1024.
    Black looks black to me, its not gray or a shade of gray
    The built in speakers are excellent
    It looks great on the wall
    Philips give a 2 year warranty, should anything go wrong.

Cons

The wall bracket looks doogy

28. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes I do have the 433HDE

The other makes that I compared were Panasonic, Sony and Samsung.

Just had my media box replaced and to my suprise it does auto AV input selection :)