Your PC vs PS5/Series X

I'm on a 980ti so going to be a decent upgrade for me!

Prob looking at a new 3070/AND and a new Ryzen build in the future but got my eye on a LG OLED 48 CX first.

I've upgrade my PC to be a Console killer with a Ryzen 3800X 8(16) core CPU, MSI Gaming RTX3080, with PCI4.0 NVMe M.2 drive on a PCIE4.0 ASUS motherboard with reads at 5GB/s.

So, 29.7 TFLOP vs 10/12 for the consoles, plus the additional Ray Tracing & Tensor hardware cores. Not clear if consoles have dedicated hardware to off-load RT and certainly not the DLSS Tensor cores.

Already playing beautifully on my 55" LG B9 OLED at 4k/120.

Still don't want to cancel my XSX pre-order as I love the design of it :facepalm: Its a bloody bargain at £450!

Have cancelled my PS5 pre-order as nothing in near term I want to play on it and for me its ugly & too white.

Last edited:
My PC has a 2080 Super with the 9series i7.
I can't see the new consoles beating that.

The new XSX Console is meant to match a 2080Ti from what I've read, but time will tell.

Last edited:
See I'm not sure about my rig, the main thing missing is an M.2 NVME drive.

i7 6700k (overclocked to 4.5GHz)
RTX2070 Super (Overclocked so it's hitting 2055MHz on the core, and 15002MHz on the Memory clock)
16GB 3600 DDR4 RAM
240GB SATA SSD
2 x 7200 HDD's
Asus Z170 Pro MB

So my GPU is supposedly only 9 Teraflops, but it's overclocked and running at 2GHz so roughly the same as what was rumoured for the PS5.

Yeah, pigs might fly. :)
Well the 2080Ti is rated at ~14 teraflops plus has the additional dedicated RT/DLSS hardware so I doubt it too.

DLSS2.0 is a big plus as I can't see a difference between native 4K or 1440p with DLSS2.0 at 4K. With my 3080 it allows me to play max settings, full RT'ing at ~75fps at 4K.

Ryzen 1700X
1080Ti
16gb Ram

Planning to upgrade once new Ryzen is out

My current rig will be easily beaten by new consoles too.

i7 7700k overclocked to 4.9GHz (I could get it up to 5.0)
32Gb RAM OC'ed to 3000Mhz
1080 ASUS Strix (not Ti)
all SSDs and HDDs are still on SATA.

It's a few years old now, but I mainly use it for Photoshop work anyway.

First thing I plan to do when finishing my new 3080 rig hooked to an LG OLED TV is replaying RDR2. I have finished it on High, but framerate was hardly ever above 30fps :facepalm:

My son keeps mentioning a TV in his room (he doesn't have one now). I said I will give him the PS3 that sits unused downstairs as well, but I think I will just buy him PS5 instead so we can game together on it.

I mean tech wise. They are packing better haptics and new trigger technology. MS have been lazy with this years controller and improved nothing but the texture and the D-Pad.
If it ain't broke....

The Sony pads, for me, feel too small and flimsy. They're perfectly usable but Xbox controllers feel better to me. Plus the replaceable battery is a useful feature.
Also worth pointing out Sony brought the touch pad on the PS4 controller, which was pretty much useless.
Although I do think the new ones look like they will be better.
It's all subjective though, I know plenty of mates that prefer the PS4 controller so each to their own...

If it ain't broke....

The Sony pads, for me, feel too small and flimsy. They're perfectly usable but Xbox controllers feel better to me. Plus the replaceable battery is a useful feature.
Also worth pointing out Sony brought the touch pad on the PS4 controller, which was pretty much useless.
Although I do think the new ones look like they will be better.
It's all subjective though, I know plenty of mates that prefer the PS4 controller so each to their own...

I like evolution. I want better haptics, better controllers, better everything every generaiton.
I do not agree with the notion of if it isn't broke don't improve it at all.

I think the best gaming controller on the market is Valve Index controllers and I respect them for the strides they make in gaming.

Subjectivity aside, one company has tried to improve the controller; the other is lazy .. this cannot be overlooked.

My recently
I like evolution. I want better haptics, better controllers, better everything every generaiton.
I do not agree with the notion of if it isn't broke don't improve it at all.

I think the best gaming controller on the market is Valve Index controllers and I respect them for the strides they make in gaming.

Subjectivity aside, one company has tried to improve the controller; the other is lazy .. this cannot be overlooked.

Yeah I was being flippant with the 'if it ain't broke' comment. I agree with you that trying to innovate is a good thing.
I don't agree that means MS are lazy, it's a bit strong and completely overlooks other things they've done. Yes, they've made more incremental changes to the standard controller (which was better to start with) but let's not forget the Elite controllers, which are fantastic. Plus the strides they made in accessibility controllers.
Sony made one controller for 7 years, MS were doing different things throughout.

So my recently built rig:

Ryzen 3700X
2060 Super
32gb ram at 3200mhz
2tb XPG sx5200 nvme drive

Adding a Dell s3220dgf monitor at Xmas.

I'll update the GPU next year once supply settles down. I'd probably prefer to go AMD for that but we will see what's what once reviews are out.
Might upgrade the CPU further down the line but, as most games will be targeting essentially the same one, just a bit slower, I'm in no hurry with that.

So my recently built rig:

Ryzen 3700X
2060 Super
32gb ram at 3200mhz
2tb XPG sx5200 nvme drive

Adding a Dell s3220dgf monitor at Xmas.

I'll update the GPU next year once supply settles down. I'd probably prefer to go AMD for that but we will see what's what once reviews are out.
Might upgrade the CPU further down the line but, as most games will be targeting essentially the same one, just a bit slower, I'm in no hurry with that.

I think that CPU, NVME and RAM are good for at least 4-5 years at least.

I think its a good decision to hold off GPU until next year to see who sits where in the pecking order and price adjustments.

I think that CPU, NVME and RAM are good for at least 4-5 years at least.

I think its a good decision to hold off GPU until next year to see who sits where in the pecking order and price adjustments.
Yeah I hope so. Decided to spend more on the nvme now in the hope it'll last. Although I saw an ebuyer deal today for the gen 4 firecuda for £200, I paid £220 for mine less than 2 months ago. Sods law haha. I'm dubious about how much regular users/gamers will notice the difference between 3000mb/s and 5000mb/s. But I'm very often wrong, as the other half keeps reminding me :rotfl:

Good thread, been a few generations now since I built my rig (DDR3, GTX970, i7 4770) so decided to take a look at how much I'd need to spend to get up to date. And it would be more than the new consoles coming out. So I think I'm going to order a PS5, use the PC to play some older generation games I didn't get round to yet, and then build a rig in 2022 or thereabouts when hopefully the new cards start pulling ahead of the consoles.

Good thread, been a few generations now since I built my rig (DDR3, GTX970, i7 4770) so decided to take a look at how much I'd need to spend to get up to date. And it would be more than the new consoles coming out. So I think I'm going to order a PS5, use the PC to play some older generation games I didn't get round to yet, and then build a rig in 2022 or thereabouts when hopefully the new cards start pulling ahead of the consoles.

Great idea tbh. You can probably eventually grab a decent bargain GPU anyway when people discard their 20 series stuff. I mean I'll be selling my RTX 2080 as soon as I know where the GPU landscape stands and I can buy a new one for example.

the PS5 given it will have a phenomenal exclusive library IMO is a no brainer.

A 970 can still 1080p most games and you have XBOX game pass... so I don't even know if you need to be in a rush to buy the PS5 either.

PS5 at launch only has one game which stands out to me and that is Demon Souls.

Great idea tbh. You can probably eventually grab a decent bargain GPU anyway when people discard their 20 series stuff. I mean I'll be selling my RTX 2080 as soon as I know where the GPU landscape stands and I can buy a new one for example.

the PS5 given it will have a phenomenal exclusive library IMO is a no brainer.

A 970 can still 1080p most games and you have XBOX game pass... so I don't even know if you need to be in a rush to buy the PS5 either.

PS5 at launch only has one game which stands out to me and that is Demon Souls.

Agreed on everything you said there ken lol. Just looking at my steam library, Portal 2, Witcher trilogy, the Fear games, Half life 2 :eek: :blush: Got a pretty big list to get round to playing. I've also just signed up to PS NOW which has opened up even more games on my PS4 and some games I want to revisit. So while yes the exclusives from Sony will be tempting soon with God of War and some others coming, but nothing feels like 'need to play' for a few months.

I'm looking to use the oled at 4k 120hz so until PC's can max games to that level I'm holding off. How long do you think we are away from that. Next gen of cards from nvidia ?

Agreed on everything you said there ken lol. Just looking at my steam library, Portal 2, Witcher trilogy, the Fear games, Half life 2 :eek: :blush: Got a pretty big list to get round to playing. I've also just signed up to PS NOW which has opened up even more games on my PS4 and some games I want to revisit. So while yes the exclusives from Sony will be tempting soon with God of War and some others coming, but nothing feels like 'need to play' for a few months.

I'm looking to use the oled at 4k 120hz so until PC's can max games to that level I'm holding off. How long do you think we are away from that. Next gen of cards from nvidia ?

HL2 underwhelmed me a lot... but get on playing the Witcher triology. 1's story telling is freaking phenomenal.

Yeah, I mean I get why you'd want to max out your panel but at the end of the day, you've put your money into the display, which is what displays everything from colours to pixels so IMO I think its always the best move.

We obsess over GPU grunt but all GPUs do to a certain level is make things more clear and make games more fluid. It doesn't change the story, lore, mechanics, gameplay etc.

I'd rather play 1080p/120hz/HDR on an OLED than 4K/120hz/pseudo-HDR on a monitor.

I see GPUs as far more disposable than the display and sound equipment which can last years.

The recent build I've put together (apart from GPU) is a console hardware killer I think BUT, a console killer in general.... I don't know. Content is king and whilst my pc might beat console's on multiplatform titles if the game isn't available on PC then my PC can't be better.

Well its old but seeing as I've never had an XBOX I'm playing Gears Of War (first one) on PC Game pass at Ultra with 4K textures at 4K/120 and that doesn't even have DLSS.

Divinity 2 also at 4k/120. Need to try more games but only had it less than a week.

Think Gears 5 I'm hitting 80-90fps but not sure without trying it again.

The recent build I've put together (apart from GPU) is a console hardware killer I think BUT, a console killer in general.... I don't know. Content is king and whilst my pc might beat console's on multiplatform titles if the game isn't available on PC then my PC can't be better.

Didn't I read PS5 & XSX games will come to PC too? But maybe not all for PS5.

Yeah I hope so. Decided to spend more on the nvme now in the hope it'll last. Although I saw an ebuyer deal today for the gen 4 firecuda for £200, I paid £220 for mine less than 2 months ago. Sods law haha. I'm dubious about how much regular users/gamers will notice the difference between 3000mb/s and 5000mb/s. But I'm very often wrong, as the other half keeps reminding me :rotfl:

Mine has a 500GB gen4 520 Firecuda (on Gen4.0 motherboard) as the OS drive and a couple of 1TB Samsung 860 SSD's I already had for game storage. For the games I'm playing at the moment I just relocate to the M.2 NVMe drive and they are quick :D .

Motherboard has a 2nd 4.0 NVMe slot so will eventually put a 2TB in there when prices drop significantly next year.

I'm sure lots of them will. Tbh, I was really surprised that Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding made it but I really think that the rise in PC gaming has had to make Sony think about the potential addition to their consumer base. I think we'll still see some games that remain exclusives on PS5 though. Microsoft seem to be going in a different direction where I expect eventually there will be no Xbox console-specific exclusives. Sony is a long way from that idea.

I cannot think of a XB exclusive from the XBO era (sorry, never owned on) that isn't on PC but I can think of several PS4 games I wish were on PC - Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Shadow of the Colussus.

Is it me or does the new XBox not have any exclusives of note that aren't coming to PC?

I cannot think of a XB exclusive from the XBO era (sorry, never owned on) that isn't on PC but I can think of several PS4 games I wish were on PC - Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Shadow of the Colussus.

Is it me or does the new XBox not have any exclusives of note that aren't coming to PC?
Pretty much. MS like PC gaming as much as they do XBOX. A companion console to PC is clearly a Switch or PS5 or both.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom