1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your opinions

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by monkeyboy69, Mar 17, 2003.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    looking to get one of my first ice installs and don't want to blow the budget too much.

don't really want to touch the head unit but looking at to amp it from there outward. I've been speaking to a friend who just happens to do installs as well and he's swaying me towards

a phoenix gold amp 300.4
    lanzar cdm6c 6.5 mids

while keeping my 10'' infinity cappa in the boot. Just wondered what others thought of these brands as I'd rather look at quality rather than blue chips company products.

any thoughts

2. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey,

From you post it looks like you just want a pair of comps and a 4 channel amp, is that right?

What's your budget?

Is you sub a single 4ohm voice coil?

Answer these question and i'll show you the way!

Matthew

3. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    well you lost me there slightly

yes the amp is a 4 channel but no idea about the 10" infinity being a 4 ohm single

The price I've been quoted for the above plus install and a new box being made for the sub is around 650 and was basically looking to see whether I'm being ripped off on the speaker front as they seem bloody dear for 6.5 mids plus tweaters

been trying to look for someone online who does the lanzar brand in the uk and see what price they are quoting

any good online pricelists around

4. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey,

I wouldn't touch anything made by lanzar with a barge pole.

Get some nice Focal Access components for you fronts. THey're available from halfords.

Have you already bought the Phoenix Gold amp?

It's important to know the voicecoil configuration of the sub - do you have the model number?

LMK

Matthew

5. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Halfords???????

you've got to be kidding, selling last seasons stock at over inflated prices.

can you justify the comment in regard to lanzar, why so bad? I've only heard good things

6. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey,

Yeah, I know Halfords have a bad rep but they also sell Focal's Access range which are very high quality at the 'entry level' price range.

Other stores sell Focal speakers, but I just thought I'd mention the fact that they sold them in Halfords incase you wanted to listen to them.

You can have a look at the range on the Focal website

The 130mm (5 1/4") comp set costs £120 and the 165mm (6 1/2") set is £130.

They will trounce anything in that price range (for new equipment) full stop.

Lanzar - low quality components, ridiculous power ratings. US ICE Enthusiasts wouldn't even describe their products as 'budget'.

Basically you can get much better equipment for the money.

Now, back to the question of the sub's voicecoils. If it is a single 4 ohm voice coil sub then you need an amp is optimised (when bridged) to run at four ohms. However, if it is a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub then you have a choice of either wiring the coils in series (to give an 8 ohm load) or in parallel (giving a 2 ohm load).

On the assumption that you sub has a single four ohm voice coil i'd reccomend that you look at a Rockford Fosgate Power 551x
    - this will ouptut (at least) 2 x 70 wrms to your components and a healthy 1 x 275 wrms (@ 4 ohms) to you sub. It costs £280 ish and is a very nice piece of kit.

In your second post you mention being quoted £650 for installation, a sub box and then I assume (due to the price) a 4ch amp (the PG?) and a set of comps + cables?

Well, if you bought a set of Focal Access 165a's (£130) and a nice RF Power 551x (£280) you'd be looking at £410 for equipment. Add £60 for your cabling, and another £60 for a box (should be custom built to Inifity's specs - not just an off the shelf model for that money), and we're at £530 - leaving £120 for installation.

Now as long as it's a nice clean and proffesional job that's not extortionate however..... that's almost 5 hours (@ £25 per hour) labour - which does seem a little high.

I reckon you shouldn't have to pay much over £600 personally - you could build your own box for around £15 (if it's sealed) or £25 (ported).

Just my opinion, but I think you'll just end up dissatisfied with the quality that you'll get from Lanzar.

Matthew

7. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CAD price for the PG amp is below:

Phoenix Gold QX300.4
    4 X 60W / 2 X 300W Bridged
    Price (Inc. VAT & Carriage): £259.99

it's meant to be a nice amp by the way.
    CAD link

8. Mahtey

Mahtey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey,

The power ratings on CAD's website are incorrect - I thow this because my friend has that amp and i've looked at the manual and also because I just downloaded it to check

Ratings at 14.4v are

4 x 50wrms @ 4 ohms
    4 x 75wrms @ 2 ohms

and

2 x 150wrms @ 4 ohms

So in the configuration you'd be using you'd get....

2 x 50wrms @ 4 ohms

and

1 x 150wrms @ 4ohms

Phoenix Gold make great amps - unfortunately the QX series aren't all that - now if you were looking at their titanium amps? A whole different story, and price range.

Go with the Rockford Fosgate, a lot more power and much better built - at that price level.

Thanks,

Matthew

9. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Mahtey actually.

I only posted what I did before to show the price and where from.

Go for the RF 551x, i'm probably going to get this one to power my PG Tantrum sub and new components when I choose them.