1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinions required please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CopeyJ, Aug 27, 2003.

1. CopeyJ

CopeyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering setting up a little side line business supplying plinths and isolation platforms made from various stone types i.e. Marble, Granite, Slate etc.
    They would be available in any finish, shape or size you like with spikes, Sorbathane feet or similar , and also a personal logo or initial if so desired could be engraved. As well as plinths and Isolation you could also have a bespoke pair of speaker stands or equipment rack.

Before I commit to anything I would like to know if this is something any of you would consider buying and what would you seriously want to pay? I am aware of other companies in this field and of what they charge and feel that I could offer better for less.

Any comments are most welcome.

Thanks

Jason

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Give it a blast mate. I cut a slab down to size last night and it was hard work. I was lucky enough to have my highly skilled neighbour helping and advising. I would certainly be interested in your work.:smashin:

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Only problem I can think of is shipping. Gonna be expensive as the slabs will be heavy.

Plus there's the chance of them arriving broken :(

If those things can be taken care of reasonably well, you'll probably do alright. :)

4. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a fireplace installed with a black granite (assoluto) slab that the pebbles sit on. I was serioulsy insterested in the HNE speaker stands with the granite base and top, but no way can I justify spending £420 just on stands. I would love something similar to the HNE stands but for half the price, but as granite is so expensive I doubt it could be made very cheaply, HNE obviously make a profit, I'd love to know what they cost to make. At the moment I've settled for standing my Misson stance stands on a granite slab made up of two granite floor tiles stuck together back to back with a light wood edging (not made them yet), not sure it makes any difference to the sound but it will look nice.

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I'd be interested, I need two circular bases for my kef egg stands as they need to be about ten inches higher than they are.
    I've been thinking about cutting slabs to size but making circular slabs is going to be a nightmare.
    As for what I'd pay then that would depend on how good they were.

6. CopeyJ

CopeyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your feed back people.

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Definately interested in speaker and sub plinthes.

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The funeral business slow? are you a stone mason? that is the first place I would go for plinths.

Do you have an idea of costs. Do not suppose you have photos of some work you have done already?

gingerone - not think of using round slabs? a good garden centre will have some.

9. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd like to get a decent 50cm x 50cm x 3cm stone slab to sit my subwoofer on. Rang a local stonemason and he quoted me about £50 (estimated). I don't need anything fancy, but if you could do something along those lines for less than £50, then I'd probably be interested.

Dunc