1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinions please............

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by donjayok, Aug 4, 2003.

1. donjayok

donjayok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to get your opinions and answers on a few things as I am seriously thinging about buying a plasma although some things put me off.

1. I have a budget of £3500 wot plasma would be the best one to buy at this time?

2. What is the lifespan of a Plasma TV?

3. Are the fixable when they go wrong?

4. Wot are your opinions on the Hitachi 32/42PD3000's? Any known problems with them?

Thanx for any replies. ;)

2. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Before jumping feet first for a plasma, consider this here

3. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    1) This will depend on what you want ultimate picture quality, ease of use, the source you want to view etc. There is no single plasma that is best for everyone. When comparing remember to factor in stands, interface boards, connection boxes and leads as these are needed by some screens and can add hundreds to the prices. Go and look at as many as you can ideally at a dealer who has set the screens up properly.

2) Life is still umknown but a search on this forum will show that experience so far is that screens have life spans of many years.

3) If the glass is damaged the answer is probably no. Electronic faults should be fixable at a price. Extended warranties are very expensive from many suppliers but major retailers like John Lewis and Allders offer free 5 year warranties. Richers have a low cost warranty. If you are worried about these two points then an extended warranty might be an idea many users here have a touching faith in the Sale of Goods Act.

4) I have had a 42PD3000 for three months and can strongly reccomend this screen. Everything you need except for a wall bracket is in the box, picture quality is excellent and despite the warnings of buzzes my screen is quiet. Possible minus points are this is an ALIS screen (do a search on the forum to read the pros and cons), and some users complain about electronic buzzes.

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO - you should look at the following two:- Pioneer PDP433-MXE and Panasonic TH42PWD6. The former is a true high definition set (ie 1024 x 768 resolution), with 10 Bit Video Processing, 576 Million Colours, 832 Shades of Grey & 1000:1 Contrast Ratio the latter is a standard definition set (852 x 480 Resolution) with 10 Bit Video Processing, 1070 Million Colours, & 4000:1 Contrast ratio.

Bit of a red herring IMHO - as long as a normal CRT if used in the same way.

As flexible as any goods really, you get them fixed/replaced under warranty if you have issues.

Not everyones cup of tea, but some people love them. They are ALIS panels, check out ALIS - see if this is likely to affect you. You may also want to look at the Hitachi 42PMA400-E.

Youre doing the right thing, researching prior to buying. The forums are full of people who are going/gone through a simalar process. Lots of information is at hand.

Dont forget however, to view a short list prior to parting with any cash !!!

5. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    rang up alders they dont give 5 year warranties with plasmas or lcds the only place in england is john lewis

6. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    House of Frasers might price match a price match by John Lewis (if you follow me). HoF gave me a free 5 year warranty because John Lewis were offering me this when I price matched a Sony 32" telly with them (though the manager at HoF had to give the final nod of approval to do this).

The reason I didnt go with John Lewis was that they would add on the delivery charge that the price matched company would have charged to deliver (from London), whereas HoF is only 5 minutes down the road and I collected myself - saving 50 beer tokens.

Generally though, HoF will only offer the same warranty as the company you wish to price match against.

Mike

7. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i dont think house of fraser give 5 year warrantys on plasmas only tvs.if anyone knows any different let me know