1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinions please.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gmt steve, Jan 19, 2004.

1. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I currently have my Sky+ connected to iScan Ultra via S-Video, then VGA onto Panny PW5. I am considering getting a JS Tech RGB2Component unit and using that to feed RGB from Sky+ into iScan Ultra as component. Does anyone have any opinion or experience as to whether this will improve the picture quality by any useful lmeasure?
    Obviously component is superior to S-Vid, but the iScan does have a very good front end, and I wonder if it would be worth the outlay and additional complication.
    Anyone?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You may well notice an increase in detail, but as you suspect, it's quite marginal, and might not be worth the pushing £200 cost of the exercise! Shame you are oop north, I'd have been happy to show you. For me it would not be, s-video is a pretty good signal, sort of sawn off component to start with, and whilst rgb - yuv is measurably better without the iscan, really not sure it's worth it for you unless you are unhappy or in the pursuit of perfection regardless of cost.

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mmm, I know what you mean, before I got the Iscan I used a John Simm RGB2VGA and the main difference between that and a straight S-Vid feed was a cleaner picture via VGA. There was no extra clarity or detail really, just less noise. I suppose I'm asking if that's the same improvement I'll get with RGB2Component.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Less probably