1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Opinions On This Sony HC Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bwstsw, Sep 28, 2003.

1. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I want to invest in a HC Projector, and this Sony one stands out to me. My budget is £1500, and I want a quality one, with very good colours, black levels etc. But as its very hard to go out and test projectors in shops (hardly any around here have them) I am kinda hoping you guys can give me some output.

Its to project on a screen of about 70", so it doesnt have to be an amazing one that can do superb pics at over 200" for example. Just one that has really good pictures at 70".

Sony VPL-HS2

1.2 megapixel High resolution panel 16:9 VGA-Wide
    High contrast ratio 600: 1
    40"-150" screen size
    Side Shot 2 (Horizontal and vertical side shot adjustment)
    1 x Composite, 1 x S-Video, 1 x Component inputs
    Remote Control
    Will work with 480i/480p/720p/1080i input signals

Specifications for the VPLHS2 LCD Projector

Liquid crystal panel Wide 16:9 panel 3x 0.62" poly silicon LCD
    Resolution 1.2 megapixel (858×484 pixels)
    Lamp 150W UHP
    Contrast Ratio 600:1
    Brightness 850 ANSI lumens (Cinema black off)
    Inputs 1 x Composite, 1 x S-Video, 1 x RGB/Component
    Colour System NTSC3.58 / PAL / SECAM / NTSC4.43 / PAL-M / PAL-N automatic / manual change
    Noise 30dB
    Electrical power consumption 200W (Standby 3w)
    External size Width 304mm
    Height 168mm
    Depth 321mm
    Weight Approximately 4.5kg

What do you think to this, its RRP is about £1399.99

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

Use the "search" button on the top right of the forum to check opinions etc. about the HS2. Questions and requests for information are an essential feature of life in the forum, but you might find it easier to narrow down your options/ more detaile queries if you search/surf/browse the forum - there's lots of info in the posts over the months.

It might interest you to know that this model is about to be replace by the HS3, already on sale in Japan, could be expected to come to market in Europe at the start of next year.

Sean G.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As the Ritz said, there are posts a plenty here, even regarding the HS2. Search under my name and you may find out some more.

I can advise that the HS2 is a great little PJ with a lovely picture, good contrast and excellent colour saturation.
    Of all three 'budget' LCD PJs I have owned, the HS2 had the sharpest edges which gave images a real 3D feel.

However, one thing let the unit down for more and that was the amount of screen door on show, particularly when whites or flesh colours were displayed. I was sat about 12 foot away from my 6 foot screen and after a week it really started to bother me. This may not bother you, but its something you need to consider to be honest. At first it did not bother me but it just got in the way after while. I can only pressume that this is due to the resolution.

One other thing of note is that the HS2 does not have direct component video in inputs and if you want to use component video to maximise prog scan you will need to source a separate lead from sony which costs about £110.00 after VAT.

Also, the ritz is correct. the HS3 is due soon. Although a newer version it seems to be the same machine on paper aside from a new HD input.

I realise that demoing a machine is tricky for you, but it may be worth travelling to see one.

hope this helps,

Cap:smashin:

4. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the info, but as I am new to all this, so is the lingo, what exactly is 'screen door'? I was hoping to connect this until direct to my sony dvd player via s-video, that is possible isnt it?

Once again thanks for any info, I greatly appreciate it at this time :)

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    no problem.

Screen door as an anomily of LCD projection where the strcuture of the panel manifests itself on screen, which can result in an effect called 'Screen door, chicken wire effect' and so on - dependant on the PJs resolution.

Basically, its like watching a movie through a screen/fly door that our american cousins may have on the porch!

However, it does not bother some people, as they simply dont see it, or they have the ability to look through it. When I had the HS2 at home for a week, my wife loved it and she was totally unaware of the screen door and therefore simply watched the movie.

Notebaly I had mine connected via s-video which delivered a cracking picture, although probably not as good as component.

Finally, I am happy to admit that the HS2 is a cracking introduction to the merits of front projection. I once described it as plug and play home cinema - which it really is.

There are a couple of forum members here who are more than happy with the HS2, it may be worth speaking to them. Paul 1762 springs to mind,

hope this helps,

6. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Jumping in a bit here, Captain what pj do you have at the moment as i'm having a little trouble with my HS2

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Whats the problem with your HS2 ?

8. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    On the top inch(approx) of the screen i'm getting a slight difference in either colour or broghtness. I dont know which it is as sometimes its there and sometimes not depending on the colour of the picture. I'm getting to the stage now that i'm thinking of going to the opticians just to make sure it's not my eyes.

It only happens on full screen films ie no black bars. It's been back to Sony once and they repaired it but to my eyes its still the same so i'm taking it bck to the shop tomorrow to see if they can help. Got it in Radfords Bath. By the way i,m not slagging Radfords off they lent me a Yamaha pj while Sony had mine for 4 weeks.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    cant answer your query but I can also vouch for Radfords, having bought my AE300 at the Bristol showroom.

Top service and customer support second to none.

Hope they get it sorted for you, nothing worse than a PJ distracting the film with a problem!