your opinions on a Velodolyne CHT-10

fred123go

Ex Member
Reaction score
heu guys,
system as on footer, or will be lol, got everything but the DC-2!very annoying!
Anyway-what are your opinions with partnering this with my M and K's?
I was recommended it by a proffesional home cinema installer so i trust his decision but need your views!
cheers
Fred

The CHT-10 is a great sub, but it may struggle in such company deppending on the size of the room. If you have a large room you will be better off with the cht-15.

Expensive processor with seperate expensive power amp, expensive M&K speakers and system to be completed with budget subwoofer.

The system will work with the sub but it deserves better and I would suggest that once again you wait for the right sub to come up in the classifieds.

Incidentally, if you asked the many different members of CEDIA (assuming that your professional home cinema installer was a member) what subwoofer they would recommend, you would probably get 30 different answers.

I'm agreeing with Ian on this one. You've one hell of a system Fred, which won't be done full justice with budget subwoofers.

As a minimum I'd suggest a B&W ASW675 or MJ Reference 1.

CHT-15s pop up in the classifieds forums for around £500 every once in a while, and keep an eye out on E-Bay for Servo 15's.

basically £450 is my limit-absolute limit! I am on a tight budget and i know my system is of very high calibre but i am a student and i need to stop working at Sainsburys and start doing some work for my exams in!
oh well
i will see in 8 weeks if there are any on classified
cheers for your opinions
Fred

Originally posted by fred123go
I was recommended it by a proffesional home cinema installer so i trust his decision but need your views

Now I wonder who that could be? :confused:

haha it was uncle eric. you guys probably know him, right?
Fred

Oh dear. :D

I can't believe you're 16 mate, that's really good going. I'd be very tempted to try and shuffle round some of your other gear to finance a complimentary sub though. Either that or just hang tough until you can afford one. £500+ will open up a range of new possibilities. I agree that s/h is by far your best option.

MuFu.

looks like i will have to wait till i have the money, 8 weeks, and then decide, i could go subless for another 4 weeks and get a more expensive one but i do want to enjoy my system as much as possible, and that would be 12 weeks i would have to wait till i get a complete system.
Av classified looks the best option atm and someone is bound to put one of the mentioned sooner ot later for a good price
cheers for the advice again-lol!
Fred
p.s. cheers Mufu but still not complete and pissing me off!i just want to get it all together and perfect-everything is temporary atm including speakers loactions and well basically everything!

Just a thought but sticking a CHT-15 or a servo 15 in your room could be a bit ott and it could be hard to find anywhere for them to go let alone have them in the optimum position for your room.

That was probably one of the benefits of your Mordaunt Short 500's in that you had the subs hidden away (even if they didnt have the performance you aspire to).

After you get a system your happy with for 5 minutes it might be an idea to get some discs to play on it, you seem to be blowing everything on your system at the moment rather than software.

i wish i made my mind up as well..but thats how i am! And cheapskate i am buying dvds etc to play my system on, if that is what you mean, i have a collection of 30 of my best films on dvd and i do watch a lot of films.
Hopefully this system will surpass my old one in every way-and the subs on the M-S 502's were IMO pretty poor, i think by getting a Velo CHT-10 i would be getting alright low frequencies, better than my M-S ones anyway. If i don't like the Velo one i will sell it and save up for a bit longer to get a slightly better one.
A velo CHT-10 sub is better then no sub, and it will do for now!
Fred
p.s. does anyone know if the Velo CHT-10 has a linking output so when i move to a bigger house i can have two?

does anyone know if the Velo CHT-10 has a linking output so when i move to a bigger house i can have two?

Just use a Y-Splitter at the amp to connect a second sub.:)

I own a CHT10 Sub and i'm extremely happy with the results.

I'm not running such a high calibre setup as you, but the intergration with my speakers was easy to acheive and i found tightness and depth was improved by placing it on a Isolation platform.

I haven't really heard any super subs(heard a REL 150 once:rolleyes: ) so i can't really judge on comparisons. The sub has delved deep enough on numerous occasions to make me smile :D and downstair's know when the Bass is big ;)

So in a round up, while there are undoubtably better subs, in the price range that you want to spend i feel this sub would do you great:smashin:

I think you proved my point fred, you have a £5k+ system and 30 dvds.

Originally posted by cheapskate2003
I think you proved my point fred, you have a £5k+ system and 30 dvds.

What does the amount of dvds you have, have to do with what your systems worth?
I only have about 20 dvds, because i only want to keep really good films that i know i'll want to watch again. Most of the time i just take a trip to the local vid shop and rent one out.
Also if i had the money there and then i much rather buy a piece of kit, than spend it on dvds, because most people could afford say one dvd a week. But its not every day you go out and buy a sub for example.

Just my opinion.:)

Steve

So on the basis of that you can have a high end system to impress all your mates with but only have one dvd that you know like the back of your hand.

Isnt it the love of films that makes you buy a nice system to enjoy them to their full extent?

ok cheapskate whatever.
So i only have 20 dvds SO WHAT, BIG DEAL. They are 30 films which are IMO brilliant and 30 of my favourite, unlike obviously yourself i don't need to buy every single dvd that is out to prove that my system is good or something. Just because you have like over a 100 dvds it doesn't make you any better. and looking at your list you have really bad taste!triple x...haha!two weeks notice...and many other one off films that, IMO anyway, would not warrant seeing more than once or twice!
Jesus-you like collecting dvds, well done to you!I on the other hand prefer to spend my money on my hardware and rent films so i enjoy them the most on my system and i can watch it a few times, i am not going to pay £15 on something i will only watch 3 times and might get scratched, or spend over grand on 'software'
anyway this has gone off the topic and the subject of the thread, i have no idea why you brought it up in the first place so no thanks
Fred

and cheapskate thats why there is the lights of Blockbuster, Appollo etc

A velo CHT-10 sub is better then no sub, and it will do for now!

p.s. does anyone know if the Velo CHT-10 has a linking output so when i move to a bigger house i can have two?

It's not only better than no sub, it's better than a lot of budget subs out there as many avforums members who own them will happily tell you.

The idea of starting with one and then getting another is a good one.

Matt.

You know, a CHT-10 + BFD would be cool in a small room, if your budget allows it.

MuFu.

Reg Uncle Eric,

I used to read his inputs with great interest, nowadays there is no sight of him! Where did he go???

Please try and keep this thread on topic everyone.

I had a nice little demo yesterday comparing the baby Velos: CHT-8 vs. SPL-800. The SPL was far and away the better sub (as it should be at 2.5 times the price of the CHT!), but the CHT was surprisingly good for the price. The amp and driver performed really well, and the only thing that really let it down was the cabinet, which didn't seem to be terribly well braced and had a tendency to sing along quite audibly.

But in terms of sound quality - the bass was tight and fast and clean. Not terribly deep, perhaps, but what can you expect from a £300 8-inch sub! It also integrated very easily with the mains, which was handy in a relatively short demo (two hours or so).

The dealer said the step up from the 8 to the 10 is quite significant, and if Velodyne have improved the cabinet any, I'd certainly be inclined to believe him! However, if the cab is the same design (only bigger), it may be no better on that front. Hard to say, but just thought I'd warn you.

Let us know how you get on.

Dunc

P.S. - I have an itchy trigger finger like you, when it comes to this sort of thing, but in all honesty, you would be better off saving up those extra 4 weeks and spending £5-600+ on it. With that you could get an SVS PCi maybe, or a secondhand CHT-15.

Originally posted by dunkyboy
the only thing that really let it down was the cabinet, which didn't seem to be terribly well braced and had a tendency to sing along quite audibly.

Useful for karaoke then :D

Did I strike a nerve there Fred? I didnt mean to offend you I just think that you might want to adjust your priorities. You seem to be gagging to drop every last penny you have into you system and not be happy with what you have for 5 minutes, how long did your projector last for example? I dont have to defend my taste in dvds but all of the "girly" flicks are my girlfriends of over three years. I dont want to marry my system......

And to keep it on topic, I have been very happy with my CHT-10 but if you are moving in the near future to a bigger dedicated room might it be worth holding off for a while until you can afford what you want and get a sub that suits that room. My CHT-10 suits my circumstances but as soon as I have moved into somewhere more permanent it will be the one of the first things to be changed. It may be worth buying something second hand and cheap so you dont loose a lot of money when you inevitably get bored with it and move on to something better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom