• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Your opinion on this speaker set up please

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys

Can you please give your opinions to the following proposed set up:

Sony 3200ES with:-

Fronts -Monitor Audio Radius 180
Centre Monitor Audio Radius 225

Rears Monitor Audio Radius 90 or 180?

Sub Radius 360 or continue with my Diamond Wharfdale sub?

Only really playing Movies and my room is circa 4.5mx5m but I am wanting to make sure they will also fill my dedicated room which will be 3mx6m in late 2007.

Your help is appreciated:smashin:

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Any reason why you keep restricting yourself to style setups?

There is a lot more performance on offer if you'll sacrifice some (not all!) of the style.

Russell

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Any reason why you keep restricting yourself to style setups?

There is a lot more performance on offer if you'll sacrifice some (not all!) of the style.

Russell

Russ what would you suggest?:smashin:

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
The SVS 5.1 system on Powerbuy is what I will upgrade to, when I have sufficient savings. This is based purely on opinions on these forums though.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Good suggestion :smashin:

And having just read the audioholics/SVS thread, I hasten to add, I'm merely an owner :rolleyes:

mhuk05

Prominent Member
There are also the Canton's in the Power Buy thread that are well spoken of.

What's your budget?

And you can use any make of subwoofer with your speakers.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the interest.

My Budget is going to be £1100 without the sub as I can use my wharfedale.

I want to Make sure that It will serve my dedicated room well when the exstention is done later in the year but integrate well into my lounge for the moment.

I do not really want floor standers as I feel they will be too boom in my room and even in my dedicated room cus of the size.

Recommendations or opinions are most welcome.

Thanks

Dave:smashin:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Dump the Wharfedale and go with the usual suspects, IMO.

SVS PB10, PB12 or Monolith or even maybe a bit better.
Maybe the SB12+, if size is a major problem.
Still in your budget and you can get a few bob for the Wharfedale.

Just noticed your room size 3 x 6M is identical to mine.

The SVS setup fills it, NP :thumbsup:
I'd guess any decent Bookshelfs would too :smashin:

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
Dump the Wharfedale and go with the usual suspects, IMO.

SVS PB10, PB12 or Monolith or even maybe a bit better.
Maybe the SB12+, if size is a major problem.
Still in your budget and you can get a few bob for the Wharfedale.

Just noticed your room size 3 x 6M is identical to mine.

The SVS setup fills it, NP :thumbsup:
I'd guess any decent Bookshelfs would too :smashin:

Hi mate,

I didn't realise you were an SVS owner. Could you please tell me why you seem to like these so much (buying blind makes me a little nervous you see :)).
The SVS 5.0 will be partnered with the SVS SB12+ or a Monolith I think.
I have a Pioneer VSX-1016.

Sorry to be a pest, audio is my weak point :)

Cheers,

Damo

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Hi mate,

I didn't realise you were an SVS owner. Could you please tell me why you seem to like these so much (buying blind makes me a little nervous you see :)).
The SVS 5.0 will be partnered with the SVS SB12+ or a Monolith I think.
I have a Pioneer VSX-1016.

Sorry to be a pest, audio is my weak point :)

Cheers,

Damo

Good question :smashin:

I had Mordaunt Shorts before, my most recent direct comparison, the 902 series.
The MS, whilst good in the treble and bass, were decidely weak to my ears in the lower mid range, which is where I feel it's most important.
With the MS, I used to run EQ to lift the lower mid range, but as soon as I set the SVS up, I turned the EQ off and all was well :thumbsup:
They worked for me in that they are extremely neutral.
They may seem a bit bright to some people, but AVsales actually demo them with a PIO amp, so you should be fine.
I've just paid more for a second hand sub, than I paid for the 5.0 speakers :D
So I'm now contemplating upping the SVS speakers.
I don't think a grand is going to do it, put it that way.
I think I'll be going with the new mid range fronts that SVS are bringing out shortly.

If you can beat SVS for value, I'd like a pointer.
I've never seen a bad post about them.

But as always you should listen for yourself, if possible :smashin:

Oh, go with the Monolith, IMO, definitely, :smashin:

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
Good question :smashin:

I had Mordaunt Shorts before, my most recent direct comparison, the 902 series.
The MS, whilst good in the treble and bass, were decidely weak to my ears in the lower mid range, which is where I feel it's most important.
With the MS, I used to run EQ to lift the lower mid range, but as soon as I set the SVS up, I turned the EQ off and all was well :thumbsup:
They worked for me in that they are extremely neutral.
They may seem a bit bright to some people, but AVsales actually demo them with a PIO amp, so you should be fine.
I've just paid more for a second hand sub, than I paid for the 5.0 speakers :D
So I'm now contemplating upping the SVS speakers.
I don't think a grand is going to do it, put it that way.
I think I'll be going with the new mid range fronts that SVS are bringing out shortly.

If you can beat SVS for value, I'd like a pointer.
I've never seen a bad post about them.

But as always you should listen for yourself, if possible :smashin:

Oh, go with the Monolith, IMO, definitely, :smashin:

Cheers mate. Will I be better off waiting for the new SVS fronts? Any idea how much they will cost? And how do you reckon my Gales compare to the SVS 5.0/5.1?

Also, a SB12+ is attractive because with the SVS 5.1 powerbuy it works out as the same price as the Monolith, is a load smaller so I can move it about, and it has eq. You also get a free Radio Shack SPL meter. If I were to get a Monolith then there is only one place I could put it really in my lounge.

Cheers,

Damo

Edit: Another thing that worries me it that perhaps 95% of my 'listening' is simply from Sky+. The plasma has no speakers, thank god, and so all sound goes through my amp. Would I notice any improvement with Sky?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I'd guess another £125 on top for the new fronts, but who am I to guess :D
My experience of Gale was poor, years ago, so it's not fair for me to comment really.
But I'd suggest you'd get a fair improvement.

More importantly, yes, it's the same old problem, sub-wise.
The Monolith will be the better sub without a doubt, IMO.
But it will probably need EQ, if my SVS PB10 is anything to go by.

The SB12+ is bloody good for it's size :thumbsup:
How effective the EQ is, I can't say.

Personally, I'd go for the big un and get a BFD, although they're rarer than a decent woman driver, as opposed to the SB12+.

But that's me :)

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
The SVS are really good, I demoed them with a few other forum members a while after I got my M&K750s. I have to be honest they were probably better for music not quite as revealing as the M&Ks and really good for HC.

I would still keep my M&Ks as they are better but they cost a hell of a lot more. I think you would be very happy with the SVS package, however don't underestimate the difficulties you might have integrating a powerful sub like the Monolith. It took me months if not longer to get my sub sounding good.

If you like fiddling for hours on end and fancy a challenge they have no fear and get the Monolith but if you would rather plonk thew sub down and enjoy I reckon the SB12 would be more likelly to give you what you are looking for.

Also the SB12 is rated by SVS to be close in performance to the PB10 with higher SPL in the higher (more used bass frequencies) but lower in the deep bass areas which tend to cause more room mode problems. (Ilkka's test show the PB10 and Monolith are not a million miles appart in performance either with the Monolith ahead).

I kind of wish my kit wasn't all sorted, all this decision making is half the fun :D

Adam

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom