1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion needed: ATRAC or MP3?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tetanus, Oct 21, 2005.

1. tetanus

tetanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many of you out there are already ATRAC converts?

I am contemplating converting my entire library of MP3s to ATRAC. Since I have a Sony NW-HD5 and a Sony VAIO notebook that hosts my library - plus the fact that I use Vaio Zone & SonicStage for playing back music - I figured I should convert to ATRAC, seeing how DSPs only work with ATRAC tracks.

I have some considerations in mind, though:

1) Should I upgrade to another VAIO notebook, will I have any problems with transferring my entire ATRAC library from the old to the new? Will there be any DRM issues?

2) In the event that I eventually switch to a non-Sony DAP, how difficult would it be to convert ATRAC tracks back to MP3s?

3) Are there any restrictions burning an audio CD from ATRAC tracks?

Or am I just better off keeping my library as MP3s?

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    i'm doing this at the moment. I've come across 2 discs so far (out of 199) that soncstage will not copy. I just use real player to copy them to wavs and then import the wavs.

my hd5 will had does play mp3s but the foot print for atrac3+ is so much smaller i can stuff more into the beastie. My 9000+ tracks wouldn't all fit. I'm was using 192k mp3 now i'm using 64k atrac3+

I can tell the difference but in the environments I'll be using the dap in I dont mind the drop in quality. I can always listen to the CD anyway

3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Save yourself some pain in the future (in case you buy non sony hardware) and rip all the CD's as MP3 then convert to Atrac when you transfer to the player in Sonicstage

4. sk79

sk79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I second this. Who knows what you'll be using in 5 years and you don't want to lock yourself into Sony's format....

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    but you'll get two flats then one from the mp3 conversion adn one from the atrac conversion

6. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    atractt 3 files are smaller than mp3's and around the same quality. I converted my entire WMA libary to it then put em on my mp3 player then deleted the attract versions.

7. Poodle

Poodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sticking with ATRAC (256kbps), as I'm fine with the sound quality, storage space and Sony Products generally. I know I may well regret it in the future, if I switch, but I still have the original CDs, so can convert from them.

8. Prayin Mantis

Prayin Mantis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    This may seem obvious......keep your MP3's as well as converted ATRAC's. If you have enough harddrive space this won't be an issue.
    What I did was bought an External HD 160GB for £99 and put all my MP3's and then converted ATRAC's onto it.....so now I have both options if I want to stick with Sony or go elsewhere.
    I've got an HD5, that's why I converted to ATRAC - primarily because of the smaller file format...why?....I can fit more on with an insignificant loss of sound quality and I get longevity from the battery.
    :smashin:

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure whether you care or not but converting to Atrac wont make it gapless. Im pretty sure you have to rip directly to atrac to get gapless.

10. scholar1

scholar1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi i think the external hard drive route is what i want to do. i have never done this before so have couple of questions....
    does it just plug in a USB port?
    can i use it on two pcs?
    at the moment my SonicStage music library is saved on one pc, but I now have a better spec laptop in another room - I'd like to move all the music onto an external hard drive and then have the choice of which pc to use

11. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont own one apart from the HD5. And as far as Im aware it does plug into the USB port and you can use it on multiple PCs, just unplug and plug it into the other one, even when its on. The transfer speed will depend on your pc, if it has the old usb 1.1 it will be pretty slow, but USB2 will be much much faster.

With your sonicstage library you can back it up like you would any mp3 (just copy files) but to do that you must have the latest sonicstage 3.2, and copy protection must be set to off when ripping or converting to atrac.

12. tetanus

tetanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried converting 128Kbps ATRAC3+ to 132Kbps ATRAC3?

Since most of my existing MP3s are 192Kbps CBR, I am choosing to convert the entire library to 128Kbps ATRAC3+, since this is really the equivalent of 192Kbps MP3s.

But since the HD5 does not play 128Kbps ATRAC3+, I suppose I can only choose 132Kbps ATRAC as the next best encoding level. Also, I'm not too sure what MP3 encoding level 132 Kbps ATRAC is equivalent to; is it 192Kbps MP3?

Does any one know if cross-encoding between ATRAC3+ and ATRAC would result in too much loss? Or should I just convert all my MP3s to 132Kbps ATRAC?

13. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was converting my 128 Atrac3+ files to 132 Atrac3 so that I can import them in the NW-HD5H. The quality didn't change (at least not in my ears), although the gapless ability was apparently lost. If you also try to convert mp3->atrac3(+) gapless is lost. I'm not really sure about the quality, but I have the feeling from my hearing tests that Atrac3+ (not Atrac3) is better in almost case than mp3.

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second Sasso's observation: if you want gapless playback, transcoding from MP3 to ATRAC isn't the way to go. Unless, of course, you're prepared to use EAC/LAME to rip/encode your CDs as SINGLE FILES, then import to SS, transcode to ATRAC, and finally use SS's 'Divide' function to seperate out the individual tracks - thus enjoying gapless playback. Bit of a faff, IMO - you're better off ripping two versions (MP3 and ATRAC) and using an external storage medium - or your HDD - to back 'em up for the future, as already suggested in this thread.

15. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    thats right - it has to be ripped to atrac initially for it to be gapless. & yes gapless is a truly wonderful thing :thumbsup: ...listen to the album the way it is supposed to be listened to & without those hugely annoying gaps you get with mp3 :nono: