Your One A Day Little Known Film Music

Garrett

Reaction score
Just post one a day a piece of film music wrote just for a film you think may be not well known and you enjoy.

Mine
Going back a lot of weeks when they did a a program on Georges Delerue and was hoping an old favorite of his Nobody Runs Forever be played which they did not but quite liked this they did for Julia.

Who did a program on Delerue? I'd like to hear that he has fast become one of my favorite film composers especially in his work with the great french directors.
It's on this afternoon at 3pm on Radio 3 Matthew Sweet does >Sound of Cinema< every week there some >back programs< available as well I think last about a month after first broadcast.
Its my No1 radio program of the week followed by Sound of the 70s tomorrow.

Well this was not going to be my one for today but seeing @systemsdead likes Georges Delerue and I dearly love this although I love to have the soundtrack to this film (a bit like one Hitchcock would have made)but its over £90 new and almost £50 used:eek: I'll make do with this heart rending one track. And sadly I think the blu ray is region A(time for a 4k methinks).

I don't remember seeing Carroll street before might pick it up and give it a go sometime.
Another reason I picked it its 30 years old and not a big mainstream as Casablanca or The Great Escape which gets lots of repeats on TV, so many even film buffs like you may not have seen it.
BTW the film bombed, cost 14 mill and did not make .5 mill back:(

Well this was not going to be my one for today but seeing @systemsdead likes Georges Delerue and I dearly love this although I love to have the soundtrack to this film (a bit like one Hitchcock would have made)but its over £90 new and almost £50 used:eek: I'll make do with this heart rending one track. And sadly I think the blu ray is region A(time for a 4k methinks).

I remember this being reviewed by Barry Norman waaaay back when. It's one of those I've always quite fancied, but slipped of my radar. If you can cope with SD, a pre-owned dvd here will cost nearly a fiver including postage -
Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: The House On Carroll Street [DVD]

Then there's the Spanish bluray at £14.65 (including Post), which says all regions, but you would need to check there's an option to removing the dubbed version -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/House-Carr...8668&sr=1-10&keywords=house+on+carroll+street

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Island may have had the unfortunate pedigree of being a Michael Bay film, and acquired some harsh reviews (not to mention bombing at the box office), but I had a lot of fun with it. It's biggest plus point is the score by Steve Jablonsky, and this track in particular - My Name Is Lincoln(very Zimmer like, but that's a good thing imo).

The Island may have had the unfortunate pedigree of being a Michael Bay film, and acquired some harsh reviews (not to mention bombing at the box office), but I had a lot of fun with it. It's biggest plus point is the score by Steve Jablonsky, and this track in particular - My Name Is Lincoln(very Zimmer like, but that's a good thing imo).

Funny I enjoyed it first time on viewing and bought the blu but not the second, the first half for me the best bit which is quite horrific without an ounce of gore
the scene were they terminate the woman who just given birth then Michael Clarke who realises what there about to do, you almost feel like grabbing his arms and pullinging out of the screen. :eek: Shame he died at 54:(
, but the second act is not as strong and mainly ruined by the editing.

one of my favourite scores would be by Jerry Goldsmith for the John Milius flick The Wind And The Lion. Like John Barry, Jerry's scores always give me a feeling of sliding into a comfortable old pair of slippers. You always hear phrases that could have cropped up in their other scores. Some might call it a lack of imagination in the creative process, but I prefer to think of it as a thread that links all the scores together
The Wind And The Lion score always sounds like it could have been written for an Arabian Nights film, to me

One of my favorites of John Williams which the only time I ever hear it these days is when I dig my LP of it out, one by John that gets overlooked. Although classed as a TV Movie and is 1.33:1 aspect ratio was shown in at least my local cinema, then again the Man from UNCLE films were shown in the cinema.

one of my favourite scores would be by Jerry Goldsmith for the John Milius flick The Wind And The Lion. Like John Barry, Jerry's scores always give me a feeling of sliding into a comfortable old pair of slippers. You always hear phrases that could have cropped up in their other scores. Some might call it a lack of imagination in the creative process, but I prefer to think of it as a thread that links all the scores together
The Wind And The Lion score always sounds like it could have been written for an Arabian Nights film, to me

My favorite composer. The horn bit at 17 sec I think he re used in Star Trek film.

These two are highlights from Plaid's sublime soundtrack to Japanese anime film Tekkonkinkreet. You can't get the soundtrack itself for love nor money (except expensive import disc) but its available on YouTube in HD. Plaid are a UK duo and their brand of ambient electronica is right up my street. Film itself is pretty damn good too as I recall, although I'm not really an anime man.

White's Dream might be the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard in my life.

I'm more than happy to go on record as saying John Carpenter's Starman is one of my top ten films of all time, and I find the score utterly mesmerising. Jack Nitzsche does an absolutely stellar job with it.
This track in particular, is the standout -

@Rambo John J one of my favorites Mr G (mind you I could say for all his they are my favorites) I got this LP when I was a member of the Jerry Goldsmith Society . Goodness knows I got in the post with it in one piece.
Note the bit at 1.30 the signature bit I mentioned above.

It's a bit too nasty for some tastes, but I thought Death Sentence, was very underrated, not least because of it's excellent soundtrack. It stars Kevin Bacon as a family man pushed to the edge and beyond, by some very bad folks...
This short track by Charlie Clouser is called Sorrow, and is one of my favourites -

This one sounds a bit classical.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom