Your Mobile Phone History?

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for fun, thought it might be interesting to see the paths of mobiles people have taken through the years, here's mine in pictures with a a few comments on each:)

Untitled.png

Sagem 715, was actually a good little phone in its day, wasn't much to choose form back then. One thing I do remember is when you sent a text message you had to manually input the number each time:eek:

sonycd5e.gif

Sony CD5E, who says Sony is about to go it solo for the first time on mobile phones?:laugh: Was a bit on the long side, but the jog wheel was a revelation in terms of input controls, FM radio too made it worth putting up with.

Samsung-A300-01.jpg

Samsung A300, I remember being wowed by the adverts when this released, was tiny compared to everything else at the time(hehe, especially compared with the above Sony). The little display window was a great design and was a nice phone to use.

Classic_Nokia_N_Gage.jpg

NGage, ah the memories, in a time where java games were pretty shocking, this was leagues ahead of anything else in terms of gaming, and was a trully pocketable gaming device. Oh, and you never did need to side-talk:p

NOKIA-N93-2.jpg

Nokia N93, talk about build quality! Metal housing made it heavy, but that Carl Zeiss lense and ability to shoot video much like a camcorder was superb, not to mention being great for gaming too!

Last edited:
iphone-3gs1.jpg

iphone 3GS, what can I say, the hype got me and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Never really got into the iphone and couldn't quite put my finger on why as it did everything slickly. Phone I moved on the quickest and not been interested in an iphone since.

blackberry-bold1.jpg

Blackberry Bold 9000, now this was a great phone, the qwerty was something else and it was a joy to make calls on. Sadly developed a fault though and Blackberry not having any more in stock offered me a replacement of......

bb-bold-9700-press.jpg

Blackberry Bold 9700, in alot of areas a real improvement over the original Bold, but it felt less usnique and the qwerty never felt as nice.

motorola-milestone1.jpg

Motorola Milestone, sublime design that actually felt like it could have been designed and made by the Finns at Nokia. Superb phone but shocking support, with its final update near crippling the phone, thanks Moto:mad:

nokia-e7-1.jpg

Nokia E7, always thought the build quality of my previous Milestone would take some beating, but the E7 managed that with ease! Wonderful phone that I doubt I'll let go, support fantastic on this one unlike my previous disaster phone.

nokia-n9-family.jpg

Nokia N9, had two of these so far(a 64GB and 16GB model) and have been unlucky to have issues with both so had to be returned. Trully brilliant phone though, in terms of OS and build quality. Will almost certainly be ordering another next week but waiting to see what Nokia reveal tomorrow regarding the PureView 808 or whatever the N8 successor is going to be named.

I know some folk here go through mobiles like there's no tomorrow. I tend to keep most of my phones for a good year or so. Have always kept one mobile at a time, but this time around I'll be keeping my E7 as a second phone as it's rock solid for my sat nav requirements with both Sygic and Nokia Maps.

Last edited:
Rather than post them all, I'll just go for a few prior to the smartphone days :)

First phone, I remember getting in on One2One as PAYG. This was before SMS was available, although an OTA update (yup, in 1998 no less) allowed it to receive messages. Shortly followed by ability to SEND messages. No more than 10 in storage though :)

motorola-m3788-1998.jpg

Another early one, and whilst it was stunningly small, it was also the least reliable Nokia of those early days :(

Nokia_8210_1.jpg

Who else had this? The buttons has a spongy action, it was superbly hard to use accurately, the camera was atrocious even for its time, battery life was shocking, and it had a leatherette cover you fixed on with poppers. And I loved it! I would love one of these again, its kind of like driving an old 80s Scirocco; an appalling experience, a triumph of design over function.

Nokia-7270-02.jpg

Finally, saving the best for last; The Duke. Anyone who had this phone will recognise that is was, no matter which decade we consider, a truly brilliant phone. Battery life measured in geological ages, build quality akin to the Pyramids of Giza and and user experience that was perfect for its day. If i needed a phone to make a call to save my family's life, this would be it.

250px-Nokia_6210.jpg

Had plenty more, but these are the stand out memories :)

Last edited:
Great thread idea. I will do mine later as not at my Computer at the mo.

Tetlee said:
Sony CD5E, who says Sony is about to go it solo for the first time on mobile phones?:laugh: Was a bit on the long side, but the jog wheel was a revelation in terms of input controls, FM radio too made it worth putting up with.

yep the jog wheel on those early Sony phones was great :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom