Your M.A. & Amp Combination?

Reaction score
Can't say I've seen this anywhere, so I thought I'd ask the question.

I'm looking to change my amp, to a probable Arcam AVR 280 or 350.

What have you got yours hooked up to and what's your impressions?

Cheers,
Neil:thumbsup:

Arcam C30/2xP35 + MA GR20's for music.

Parasound 2205AT + MA GR LCR's /GRFX for movies.

Both set ups sound great and it's the first time in many many years I have no real urge to upgrade anything.

I've got the Arcam AVR300 and DV79 linked to Monitor Audio S6's and the detail of the music/dvd's is really good.:)

You will not be disappointed.:)

Just stereo at the mo.

An Arcam A85 hooked up to MA RS6's. Damn fine they sound too!

They're shortly to be joined by a P90, and some Ecosse ES2.3 cable if anyone cares :D

see my sig:thumbsup:

as on my sig. Hifi Marantz PM17 KI sig with GR10's, Home cinema - Pioneer AX3 with Silver6's.

To be honest though they Pioneer Amp does not suit the silver 6's one bit.

Also as in sig:

Sony 5200ES with RS6s & RSLCR up front and RS1s at the rear.

Never been troubled by the fabled "brightness" with this combo

Bob

As in sig, but looking to add an Arcam Diva A70 for a bit more control for music :thumbsup:

I bitten the bullet and ordered the Arcam AVR 280 from Superfi today.

Looking forward to the new sound.

(Anyone know how much the Pio amp would go for, immaculate condition with all the attachments, guide, mic etc?)

Cheers,
Neil.:thumbsup:

Good choice :thumbsup: As you can no doubt see from your thread, Arcam with MA is a popular combo.

Hope it lives up to expectations, and you have many happy days together :D

Good choice :thumbsup: As you can no doubt see from your thread, Arcam with MA is a popular combo.

Thanks Graham,

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Thanks Graham,

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

MA does go very well with Arcam, but we also find it goes pretty well with Cyrus too. And before everyone jumps down my throat with the brightness thing, the Cyrus pre/power amp (at a little more than the 8VS integrated) is much smoother than the integrated amps, and help tame the treble edge that some feel the MA's have.

GR20's bi_amped with Arcam AVR 350,GR10's on rear and GRLCR centre.

Bi-amping really makes a difference, it seems a bit more refined and seems to tame some of the "bright" sound that are accociated with Monitor Audio.

Cable choice is also important.

RS6s powered by Audiolab 8000s (preamp duties and HF) and 8000a (modded to run just as a poweramp on LF duties). Shek D2 NOSDAC adds a nice bit of warmth to the setup.

I've just been advised my new amp is waiting at home, so I'm going to have a thoroughly enjoyable weekend setting it up and driving the wife and kids nuts in the process!

Cheers,

Today I use MA GS 20 (Main) + GS LCR(Center) + GS10 (Rear) + Velodyne DD 15 as Sub. All this powered by a Denon 3808.

For HiFi I switch amp (manually I change the cables) and my GS 20 are powered by two Pathos Classic One mkIII (bridged mode - one for each speaker). It's mono-cabling, but I wonder what would be the sound if I keep the Pathos in stereo mode and use one for treble and the other for bass, in a passive bi-amp ?

In one case I have 2x180 W mono-cabling, in the other I would Bi-amp with 2x70W per amp. I don't have 2 pairs of cables avaible to test bi-amp, but if it deserve the test I can buy an other set of cable (but quite expensive as I use Supra Sword).

Anyway the GS 20 are not so Watt dependent, as I also have a tube amp (Consonance Cyber 100 15th anniversary) which gives 2x35 W but I never heard so much power from the GS 20, bass are incredible !!

At the moment I'm shopping around to replace my old Castle Harlech Front Speaker pair.One of the Harlechs has developed an Ominous Buzz in mid, voice, range ... yes I have tried switching the speakers around and it is one of 'em rather than the Denon. The Harlechs are matched with a Castle Keep centre and Mordant Short bookcase standing rear speakers. I need new Front Speakers that will complement my new Denon AVR-2808 surround receiver and my old Castle Keep Center.

My shortlist is closing down toward Monitor Audio RS 6 after having included B and W 684 a little while age .. just before I read that B & W were rather Sibilant with Denon. Oh, Bugger .... my Castle set up was chosen 12 years ago to reduce SSSSSSibilence! which sets my teeth on edge.

It seems to me that the RS6 should work with the Old Castle Keep and the New Denon but there you have the problem with the oft stated 'Listen To Them ' advice ... and believe me I Did Audition my original set up .. and that is not only the limitations of the dealers viewing/ audition room but also the fact that many people wont be replacing an entire system but rather replacing an old system a bit at a time.... try matching that in a dealers audition room!

Yes you could ask for a Home Audition but, to be realistic, that is only economically sensible for a dealer who is selling Really High End expensive stuff and so this kind of forum becomes the modern replacement for an Old Fashioned Audition of High End Stereo Hi Fi Sound. Hereabouts you can find people who may well have the near equivalents of the gear that you are proposing to buy from an inexpensive Internet dealer or a high street store and who might say that , for instance, B and W & Denon ... a bit on the Sibilant side.

So ... will my Denon AVR - 2808 plus proposed Monitor Audio Silver Series RS6, plus already present Castle Keep Center and modest MS rear speakers work do you think ?

Oops ... I forgot to mention that I also have a new BR XLS300/PR sub .. bought in specially ordered Mahogany to Match the Castles. The Harlechs are Doing It just to Spite me!

I've just been advised my new amp is waiting at home, so I'm going to have a thoroughly enjoyable weekend setting it up and driving the wife and kids nuts in the process!

Cheers,

How are you getting along with your new combo?

I wonder what would be the sound if I keep the Pathos in stereo mode and use one for treble and the other for bass, in a passive bi-amp ?

Hi, had the same situation with my GR60s and a pair of NAD C272s.
(plus FB212)
The results were better in bridged mono than running two stereo pairs.
Treble was less harsh and bass meatier, that was triwired with good speaker cable for the treble and mid plus a thick cheapo for the bass unit.
HTH
Tim

How are you getting along with your new combo?

It took me a day and a half to set it all up properly. Initially the bass was garbage and I had to move my front speakers to a different position, even though they'd been there for a year or so. However, once all had been repositioned and fine adjustments made, I spent the next day listening to music that I hadn't done in a long time and thoroughly enjoyed it. A completely different sound to the previous Pioneer amp, (which was one of the initial reasons I wasn't impressed), but once I got used to what it was throwing at me, I realised that it was exceptionally good.

A worthy upgrade to my system, very happy.

Cheers,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom