1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your LCDs, A suitable CRT replacement?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neilmcl, Jan 22, 2005.

1. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I'm still wavering over the idea of spending over £1500 on a 32" LCD or just spending half that on a decent CRT. I've managed to see most of the new contenders, except the Tosh 32WL48, and I must say the results have been not been that great. I put a lot of this down to the source inputs shown in many of the retailers.

My question is this for all of you have bought either a Philips 32PF9986/9976, Sharp GA3/GA4,GD1 or the Toshiba 32WL48: Do you consider your new purchase to be a suitable replacement for your previous TV, ie, is the pq at least as good if not better whilst watching off-air broadcasts, or accepting the fact the LCD is excellant for watching DVDs, would you prefer to have a new CRT to watch Sky/Cable/Freeview?

2. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Off air (ie analogue), and Freeview are fine on my 37pf9986. Analogue is not as good as good Freeview - some Freeview channels are much more heavily compressed than others, and this does show up quite noticeably. I suppose that the answer to this would be to set the picture to its softest setting and not use PP2. You are effectively cranking the resolution back down to typical CRT levels and disguising the crap signal accordingly.

Good Freeview signals can produce stunningly good results.

Can't speak for Sky - I do not believe in making the Dirty Digger any richer than he already is, whilst simultaneously destroying free to air broadcasting....

3. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I can in all honesty say that my Sharp LC26GA4E is the best tv i've EVER had :thumbsup:

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Neil,

I understand your dilemma. What you have got to do is to get stuck into these shops and get them to demo the sets properly!

Don't just hover about looking at crummy pictures wondering if 'This is it'!

Pull one of the less plooky yoofs aside at your favourite supplier and get him to sort you out a decent demo. Get it hooked up to a DVD via (at least) a good scart. Also see if he (she?) can get it connected to a decent Sky or Freeview source.

Spend ages making a total pest of yourself - trying as many TV's as you want. Get genned up on how to set the picture up properly and don't be frightened to grab the remote out of his (her) hand and have a good fiddle.

The Sharps and the Philips are Top Dogs at the moment, with assorted others in hot persuit. I can honestly that my 9986 performs miracles with DVD's and easily outperforms most CRT's for day to day viewing.

If you want, I can send you screen shots which kinda show the sort of PQ you can expect. Send me your Email address privately and I'll bung you some pics.

If you enjoy movies and have half an eye on future broadcasting then LCD is the way to go!

Let us know how it goes.

Jimmy

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Don't worry, I've done all of this and I'm more than happy with DVD playback but it's very difficult to get a dedicated Sky/Freeview feed in a shop. I realise that this can be quite subjective and if aesthetics were the only thing to worry about then I've already made my choice.

However all I need to know right now is whether the current crop of HD specced LCDs can seriously outperform a quality CRT, the Tosh 32ZP48 for example, when showing digital broadcasts in a real life home situatiion. Hence my original question.

Thanks
    Neil.

6. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have both a plasma screen tv and a 27 inch lcd and i would not go back to crt

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Neil,

Of course, us LCD owners are going to say 'Yes, just as good as a good CRT'.

However, as I said before, if you are less interested in stunning DVD performance and future HDTV broadcasts then it can be argued that a CRT is more suitable.

Check out the thread started by Faust where he does a direct comparison between LCD's and CRT's. He is a strict LCD non believer and it makes interesting reading.

All I can say is that to me, the PQ on day to day stuff on Sky is excellent. It is different certainly, but still mighty impressive.

Jimmy