1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your latest opinion on PS2 Pro Evo 4?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Bristol Pete, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    So, a few days on, what are your thoughts on Pro Evo 4 on the PS2 only???

I have to say that I think it is superb :smashin: A few days ago I stated that I did not think that the graphics were quite as good as Pro Evo 3, but I am playing on an LCD projector connected via RGB so the definition is not quite as good as say a plasma or a CRT with a decent connection. I set the PS2 up on my CRT yesterday and again, viewed through RGB it looks superb though I still find it annoying that so much effort has gone into foreign team kits whilst the Premier teams and National teams look a little poor in comparison. Still can and will update.... :D

Game play wise I cannot believe how much better this is that PE3.
    Sure, it is the same game but it really has evolved and the animation is spot on. It is so fluid, passing is smoother and thus better. I love the way that you can pass the ball into space for a player to run into. The animation is sublime and just tonight, I was playing a game where I played the ball forward to my striker who had his back to goal. However, spotting a runner I pressed left one and triangle expecting to have to turn and lift the ball over the top….oh no, the player actually lofted a through ball over the defense by back heeling it :eek: :eek: :eek: Bloody genius

I was amazed and I can only refer to it as a true Soccer A.M show boat moment if you are familiar with that programme :thumbsup: I never ever saw that in Pro Evo 3 and like most of us I played that every day for a year!!!!!!!

You really do need to work hard to score a goal or two now and it’s a delight when I passing move comes to fruition. I love crossing the ball with a double press of circle and sending a striker into the middle for a tasty bullet or directed header.

So, what are your thoughts???

Lets not turn this into a FIFA vs. Pro Evo debate again though hey??? :lesson:

Cap :)

Oh and I still struggle to score with Free kicks outside the area….any tips ?
    :confused:

2. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Tips on free kicks, er ive given up.

The game has grown on me like all PES titles do, the have a learning curve every year and for some that puts them off straight away, luckily i held out and now im pleased i did.

The graphics are subline too, which always helps.

Scored just 2 from outside the box so im a little disapointed there, i guess i'll have to stat up my pap Spurs team.

Anyhow time for another game before champions league weekly.

3. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    My mate has a jap ps2 and we have been playing the english patched version for months now...truly class game and nothing better imo. The one thing i noticed is that where on pes3 you could do snap shots from the edge of the box...you need to hold shoot for longer now to get the same amount of power. But otherwise the best footy game by a long way...

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Tips on Free Kicks! Well I must confess to being no expert but I can score a fair amount of them.

Generally the best scoring range is around 23 - 30 yards with around 24-25 yards being the optimum. The best positions to get a direct free kick are around the 18 yard box D. When taking the Free Kick I go for around 60% on the height bar & hold R1 down for extra power. Whilst running up I apply sidespin to curve the ball & a bit of top spin to dip it over the wall by pushing the stick in the up diagonal direction just before striking the ball. It takes loads of practice though as this ain't Fifa and you can't just keep scoring the same goals over & over.

Regarding the game - my only gripe is that some stadia play nice & quick with very smooth play and no slow down, but others play at a slower pace and still have nasty slow down in crowded penalty areas such as during a corner. Apart from that gripe (which is non existant if you choose a decent statium) the game is a dream. The best PES yet and my new all time fave game ever! I'll guarantee now that i'll be playing this in August 2005 as I eagerly await WE9 & PES5! :thumbsup:

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Plus Side
    Passing is alot smoother
    I like the new shooting system more
    Graphics are better
    The overall feel of the game is better

Now for the bad bits :(
    Slowdown is a joke at corners ect
    The commentary is still crap this year
    Also when you pick 2 teams from spain ie: Real and Barca, it shows you 2 Real teams in the tunnel. lol
    Keepers are great one on one, but if you look at your radar when just inside their half the keeper is way out of the box. i've scored a loads from 35-40 yards out because of this. i for one feel scoring like that is just like playing fifa. and yes this is on 6* before you say up the level. :laugh:

Overall though much better than evo 3 :thumbsup:

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Keepers - how keen they are to come off their line depends on their defence attitude and the specific keeper. My Gordon Banks rarely strays off his line and is very difficult to beat from range.

Not noticed the 2 teams from Spain thing before as I never watch the opening ceremony (it just prolongs getting into the action) but it is rather funny.

I agree the commentary is very crap but I wouldn't play with it on even if it was good personally - it's just an annoying distraction to the game.

Play in the Occhio Del Mar stadium - no slowdown at all, great stadium and you can have full crowd & stadium effects on. It's almost like playing a different game whilst playing in this stadium. There are also a few others were there are no slow down but Occhio Del Mar is my fave.

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'll try having a look at their settings, because with my skill its just too easy. ;)

Ok i'll give that a go cheers.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Must admit I didnt level any critism at the game in my original post but here goes -

Not really noticed any slowdown though, but will check out that stadium.

Yes, the commentary is a joke. Was testing the game AI the other night by playing it on a low setting and rattled in 8 goals only for the commentary team to say 'shame there have been no goals tonight!!!'. That sort of thing does let it down slightly. Oh, and I scored a blinder as Zidane and Brackly went 'thats clearly a penalty' :(

I have not noticed the Spansih quirk LFC. I will check that out.

The keeper AI is odd. Thay save everything in the box but let one rip from 20 - 30 yards and they just seem to watch the ball in. However this does seem realistic (Fulhams keeper just last weekend) so I dont know if thats dodgy AI or very clever......???

Finally, I have come to realise that player skill is very important in this game. Damien Duff is fantastic...........

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Cap :)

Ps, does anyone know if you can keep the ball on the floor when taking a free kick...I mean can you put it under the wall????

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes when close in for a free kick just tap the shoot button and it drills it under the wall.

10. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Also when you pick 2 teams from spain ie: Real and Barca, it shows you 2 Real teams in the tunnel

this is not a quirk if you look closely and let the intro play out,you actually see the away team are actually on the pitch waiting for the home team, so the players in the tunnel are the home team only and the away team are on the pitch

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Oh with the players standing at both sides of the tunnel? i'll have a closer look next time. :blush:

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Having just downloaded FIFA 2005 on my PC I must say that it looks awful on 1280x1024x32 with everything on high.

The commentary isn't great either. McAllistar says after a harsh challenge "there was no need for a booking there, the ref has to be more sensible" only to say 2 seconds later when the yellow card is produced for the same challenge "he had no choice but to give a yellow card there". Bloody annoying!

I hope they bring out a PC only footy game that has really good graphics, instead of having to put up with the pap you expect from consoles :mad:

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    True they could make an awesome PC footie game but sadly it wouldn't get played as it's just not the same playing footie on a PC as it is on a nice widescreen TV. I know you can connect your PC to a TV or Plasma but I have so much stuff connected to mine that it's just not practical to move it about.

Also at the end of the day how much better can a field & 22 men look. I'm happy with PES4 graphically, although it's a shame that they haven't used the extra power of the X-Box to make a graphically better version for that machine.

I did think PES3 looked nice on the PC with the graphics up high though - sadly although it was the same game it somehow didn't feel right playing it on a PC.

14. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    PES4PC in november. enough said ! looks 10 x better than the console versions (going on pes3pc) and alot easier to patch. + network play this year which will = a mod to play direct IP to IP online :)

15. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Can you change the commentary like you could on PES3. I used to put on the spanish I think. As you can't understand 90% of it, it works better.

Have not purchased yet, but have downloaded a option file in preperation. :smashin:

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes there is 5 language IIRC files like pes 3. guiem ballique (sp?) did the spanish one didnt he and it was funny. i remember i imported the jap commentary into my pes3 data_e.afs file. nothing funnier especially when they ooney shootooo

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    The Jap commentary on WE8 is best though :thumbsup:

18. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've just started playing and first impressions are that it will rock and be the only game I play until PES5 comes out :laugh:

I have seen on other forums that you can edit the kits to look EXACTLY like the real kits including sponsership logos. There is a update zip file about with all the Premiership kits, names, etc. which you can download with an X-Port or Max Drive & copy over to your memory card.

Can't wait!!!

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Indeed there is Micol - there is also a version (which contains a CD to Memory card program) that you can copy onto a CD-R. Then all you do is stick inthe CD-R and copy the option file to your memory card with the provided program.

It really is a master piece though and like all PES games it simply gets better with every game you play. I've just given France a nice 2-0 stuffing with England on 6 stars and it's a very nice feeling indeed. Should have had another 3 or 4 as well as I missed some great chances! The AI on 6 stars is very good though and is the closest thing out there to playing with another human.

The only thing with having a game as amazing as PES4 is that I now just look over the rest of my games and think "what's the point". :D

20. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LINK ME, LINK ME!!! I NEED THIS OPTION FILE!! :lease:

21. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LINK ME TOO! I can't wait to see all the teams in their full glory!

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    It can be downloaded from

ftp://lomungtung.no-ip.com/Pro Evolution Soccer 4/

The option file is called - Pesfan PES4 v1 Converted to .bin .cue by Gun.rar

There are also loads of other patches on here that replace stadia graphics, add player boots etc and also new music & crowd chants etc.

enjoy!

23. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what the fudge! You are kidding right? You can't change the crowd chants & music...can you?

24. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Apparently so, need a chipped PS2 mind, at least i think you do.

25. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Doh! There's a weird logon screen. What do I do now?

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    You need a modded PS2 though to use CR-R - if you haven't got one you need an X-Port or a Max drive to install them - they cost about a tenner each.

If it asks you for a user name & password for Lomuntung then use WE8 for both. I think that works but it's been ages since i've had to input it.

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Yes you can have all of the proper team chants (great escape etc for England) it really improves the atmosphere! :thumbsup:

28. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh well, never mind. I haven't got a modded PS2 and I've ordered a Max Drive anyway.

Are you sure you can change the music, crowd, stadiums etc. I know you can on the PC version, but I didn't think it was possible on the PS2?

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
  30. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow! I didn'y know you could do that. It is really tempmpting now to get my PS2 mod chipped.