Your last petrol engine?

ashenfie

I’d totally disagree with that, I’ve seen Mustangs in my rear view mirror with their rear ends getting very twitchy while trying to stop me from gapping them. My car is very driveable, you’ve just got to remember that you’re driving a muscle car, not a sports car.
Not saying Mustangs are good by any means and going out in the winter/wet scary but a Dodge Challenger takes that to another level.

AMc

Distinguished Member
I didn't say it'll be cheap :) Horse riding isn't cheap, nor aviation. Driving a combustion car will be viewed the same way, purely for pleasure rather than transportation.
I agree with this sentiment. Petrol cars will become toys - chances are that they won't be welcome on public roads in amongst the EV self driving cars but I can see closed road events and trackdays.
While it's legal to ride a horse on the road - I very rarely see them and there are A LOT of stables and paddocks in the surrounding area.

I'll be very happy to relinquish my drudge driving to a robot EV car - if I can also get the odd road trip or track day in something with no roof, manual gear box and plenty of oomph! all the better.

And to the original subject - I've always yearned for a big lazy american V8 in a muscle car - even though I know they're seldom the best handling or the fastest cars. :thumbsup:

ostewart

I’d totally disagree with that, I’ve seen Mustangs in my rear view mirror with their rear ends getting very twitchy while trying to stop me from gapping them. My car is very driveable, you’ve just got to remember that you’re driving a muscle car, not a sports car.
I even managed to close a good gap on a 5l mustang recently, as it was on slightly damp B roads and it simply couldn't put the power down. Every time the driver even touched the accelerator the rear end would start twitching, bearing in mind I chased it down in a 1.8l Ford Focus. Mustangs are not made for English roads at all.

Last edited:

markj113

Standard Member
lucky enough to currently own a 5.2 V10 lambo gallardo LP560-4 Spyder. have to say it sounds great and even better with the roof down :)

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I decided my current car would be my last combustion engine before going down the electric route so bought an audi s8 5.2 litre v10, perfect size to get the kids in and still have fun when on my own, needed to tick a v10 off my list aswell.

TerFar

I have been thinking that if I was to buy one last petrol engined car before their demise what would I get.

C63S AMG
Lambo V10 or V12
Nissan GTR
WRX STi
Evo 6

Are the ones that come to mind for me. Not based on the car per se but just the engine, the noise, performance, smell etc.
Ford Focus!

Dorian

Supra TT 6 speed manual. That would be my forever car. They say never meet your heroes but I've driven one once and it did not disappoint! Doesn't sound like an Italian exotic but it's the one for me. Maybe in 10 years if prices stop doubling every 3 years!

gangzoom

Maybe in 10 years if prices stop doubling every 3 years!
I suspect there is a whole load of 'affordable' iconic combustion cars from the last 20 years that's going to rocket in value as we move towards more mass market EVs.

The current combustion cars with all their electric superchargers, fake noise, auto boxes have little charm and are already superseded by EVs. For example am not sure why anyone would by a current 911 over a Taycan given price parity.

The older stuff however deliver a very different driving experience. If you have the physical space to keep one, buying any number of iconic used combustion cars now is almost certainly a sound investment.

If my wife allowed me I would get a DC2 Teg and a VX220 tomorrow. Even now with prices going up they cost a fraction of new EVs or combust cars, but come 2035 they will be like gold dust. Apparently even gen 1 MX5s are now hard to source.

IanW

I'm already planning mine, BMW M3 Touring. I currently have a BMW 330i Touring and love it to bits, best car I have ever owned, including Imprezza STI, Lancer Evo and Focus ST.

The M3 Touring will be a keeper and I suspect a future classic.

Dorian

If my wife allowed me I would get a DC2 Teg and a VX220 tomorrow. Even now with prices going up they cost a fraction of new EVs or combust cars, but come 2035 they will be like gold dust. Apparently even gen 1 MX5s are now hard to source.
Yes well said, agree with all of that!

Im probably going to look for a DC5, they are not cheap but are still affordable, look great and should be a cracking drive

Aardvarks

I have been a rep all my life and driven the usual rep barges, 1600 Cortina, Sierra, Cavalier, Vectra, Astra and latterly diesel BMW, Audi, VW and Toyota. The most BHP if have had is a diesel with 184 hp. I have always admired Aston Martins but will never have one so my last car with a petrol engine is likely to be a Jaguar F Type with the 2.0 Litre turbo four pot and 300Bhp......it is the style that I want...maybe the panoramic glass sunroof and 19 or 20 inch alloys.....depends on what ex dem or low mileage examples come up for sale. Just once I want to pretend I am James Bond.....I have worked over 40 years and driven over 1 million miles...….one bit of fun at the end isn't too much to ask is it?

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I'm definitely keeping my GT3, I might keep the M2, if only it was a little lighter and normally aspirated.

I'd also be happy with a carbon foot print allowance, I'd buy uk produced food, not fly on holiday, work from home, train to London or where its practical. But I still want to drive a petrol engine car every now and then :), and I definitely want to see 9,000 rpm every so often,

L9513857.jpg

Last edited:

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
I'm already planning mine, BMW M3 Touring. I currently have a BMW 330i Touring and love it to bits, best car I have ever owned, including Imprezza STI, Lancer Evo and Focus ST.

The M3 Touring will be a keeper and I suspect a future classic.
M3 Touring will be all the car you will ever need

mjn

Distinguished Member

lmccauley

I've been to several incidents with an old Dennis Pump Escape which had half a Merlin engine in it. It simply purred when pumping. Now in a museum.............and me!
Several summers ago, I was driving down a country lane in my Boxster with the roof down, enjoying the sound of the flat 6 boxer engine. Suddenly, the Battle of Britain Flight flew over at quite low level. It was a magnificent noise, and I thought "Germany 0 - England 1".

scarty16

Pure petrol & diesel engines cars will stop being sold quicker than you might imagine.

People won't honestly want them.

Look at Norway as an example of how fast the change can happen (new cars), and it is only in the last 12 months that the major manufacturers have really started to push.

1601891526779.png

or the UKs year to date figures

1601891657692.png

dmpzsn

I have several problems with replacing my ice vehicle with an electric,

They don't make them with a deep enough boot opening to take my scooter plus hoist, plus I need a 7 seater for when I carry rear seat passengers I can still take my scooter.

None of them have the range I need without charging mid journey.

I have nowhere to charge at home.

I hate automatics:mad:

Untill they come up with a suitable alternative I'm going to have to stick with my petrol/diesel powered vehicle.

scarty16

I have several problems with replacing my ice vehicle with an electric,

They don't make them with a deep enough boot opening to take my scooter plus hoist, plus I need a 7 seater for when I carry rear seat passengers I can still take my scooter.

None of them have the range I need without charging mid journey.

I have nowhere to charge at home.

Untill they come up with a suitable alternative I'm going to have to stick with my petrol/diesel powered vehicle.
I give you the Rivian R1S or R1T

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be devil's advocate, pure electrics aren't automatic. As in - "automatic" suggests that something that needs to happen is done for you by machinery rather than by you. That something is changing gear. Pure electrics have no need to do so. The electric motor will happily propel the car from a standstill to whatever its top speed is (well over the legal limit in most cases) in a single gear. It seems unlikely (though not impossible, I suppose) that anyone would need nor want nor therefore build, an EV with a multi-speed gearbox.

scarty16

Just to be devil's advocate, pure electrics aren't automatic. As in - "automatic" suggests that something that needs to happen is done for you by machinery rather than by you. That something is changing gear. Pure electrics have no need to do so. The electric motor will happily propel the car from a standstill to whatever its top speed is (well over the legal limit in most cases) in a single gear. It seems unlikely (though not impossible, I suppose) that anyone would need nor want nor therefore build, an EV with a multi-speed gearbox.
Those crazy fun-living Germans eh!

The 2020 Porsche Taycan features a two-speed automatic transmission at the rear axle, a first for an EV. This multispeed gearbox aims to improve both acceleration and efficiency at higher speeds. The Taycan can also disconnect its rear axle and run entirely on front-axle power.

dmpzsn

I give you the Rivian R1S or R1T
I very much doubt that that one will be available on motability, if it is the deposit will be horendous. :rotfl:

Basically the same as my scooter, I do know what an electric vehicle can do, I've been using scooters since 1996, turn on ignition, pull forward or reverse lever and away you go.

As you say, acceloration is great and the vehicle is very quiet.

Doesn't change one of my points though, I can't charge the vehicle at home and If I've a long journey, middle of Exmoor to Bristol, then I'd need to charge at Bristol. At the moment at neither of the hospitals I go to are there charging points and even if there were sometimes I drop and go to my next passenger.

scarty16

I very much doubt that that one will be available on motability, if it is the deposit will be horendous. :rotfl:

Basically the same as my scooter, I do know what an electric vehicle can do, I've been using scooters since 1996, turn on ignition, pull forward or reverse lever and away you go.

As you say, acceloration is great and the vehicle is very quiet.

Doesn't change one of my points though, I can't charge the vehicle at home and If I've a long journey, middle of Exmoor to Bristol, then I'd need to charge at Bristol. At the moment at neither of the hospitals I go to are there charging points and even if there were sometimes I drop and go to my next passenger.
Agree about the price and the less said about the looks the better, a look I guess only its designer could love.

I just did a quick check about the distance from Exmoor to Bristol - 92 miles each way
So given a 400 mile range, well within a single charge, and if you want to charge, and there are plenty of chargers you could use between Exmoor and Bristol, even if you can't charge at home.

1601906303255.png

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom