1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your HELP Needed - Big Plasma Novice!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gubbins, Jun 3, 2004.

1. gubbins

gubbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Hope you can help - seems like a pretty active forum with some knowledgable people on it...

I like the look of the Pioneer PDP434HDE screens. Cheapest seems to be £3,500 - not a bad price....but also seen the Panasonic 42" P30, which looks great too and is apparently (according to one hi-fi shop I spoke to) just as good a picture as the Pioneer. Me being a tech head, I looked at the specs. The Pioneer has a much higher resolution, but lower contrast ratio.

The Panasonic I can get for around £500 quid cheaper.

So, which one is best for me!!??? Lots of freeview watching, plus some DVD's with mates at the weekend...

Cheers and hoping for some good advice!

Gubbins

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    you will find alot of people will give pro's and con's of each screen ie panny having far superior black but these best thing to do is demo both panels and see which is better for your eyes, as your the one paying X amount of money

3. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Get yorself a 42pd5200. You definately won't be dissapointed and for £2500 it's a steal.

Many people prefer the Panny.. swings and roundabouts, horses for courses.. etc etc..

4. Nic H

Nic H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the same choice to make and went to demo them both. I have 99% decided to go with the panny - about £700 cheaper.

5. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the picture on either of the models you mention. It's worth giving some thought as to how it will fit in the room though. The new Panny is not particularly slimline when wall mounted and the desktop stands currently available don't really seem to fit with the screen design. You may have to cough up £s for the matching Panny floor stand, which will bump up the total cost.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bear in mind also the Pioneer tuner is analogue, the panny is digital. You've checked freeview reception? As long as that's OK the std. TV picture is likely to be better with the panny, but the rest will depend entirely on your preference. Whilst the PE30 is certainly a bit thicker than your average plasma, there is no external media box, and of course no HDMI, though personally I find this no loss.