Your help is required :)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Lotusmad2001, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Lotusmad2001

Lotusmad2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, i am still using an old (non Hdmi) all in one yamaha 5.1 system combined with a Samsung ps51d550, ps3,ps4,xbox360,wii (yes i'm a nerd!)

I'm wanting to overhaul the speakers with some B&W 684's to the front, 685's to the rear and whatever goes best with these for a center and sub.

Question is, I'm doing this in stages (av receiver first) will I be able to plug my old speakers into a new av receiver? I know this sounds simple but my sub is a massive thick cable going to the amp which almost seems something that yamaha has invented for its all in one systems....anyone know anything about this?

Also the av receiver i am looking at is a Yamaha v675. Will this be enough to power all of those speakers? and also is there a way with modern amp's to separate off the 2 fronts when I just want to play music?

Apologies for being a true beginner!

Jonny

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    No one can answer you unless you actually divulge the model number of the Yamaha system you currently have or at least relate more details as to how the speakers are connected etc.

The RXV675 will power up to seven conventional speakers. You'd need an active subwoofer with its own power supply and onboard amplification because the AV receiver doesn't power the sub or amplify the audio it outputs to it. You do not have to connect seven speakers in order to use the receiver. Even if using a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration you can choose to only utilise the two front speakers for stereo audio. You are not forced to output everything via all of the speakers present.

3. Lotusmad2001

Lotusmad2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forgetting the old amplifier and speakers for now. would the V675 or Denon x2000 amplifier be enough to power those speakers? People seem to suggesting amplifiers that are over £1000? Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks

Jonny

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    An av receiver such as the RXV675 will have no difficulty powering the B&W speakers you mention. It is of the level of receiver you'd expect to partner with such speakers. More power would only be required if your room is large and if you are sat some distance awy from the speakers. Receivers costing £1K or above would probably warranty better speakers.

5. Lotusmad2001

Lotusmad2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it true that Denon amplifiers tend to sound better with B&W speakers? The only problem with the Denon is that it only has 1 component input as I have an old xbox 360 and Wii that are both component.

Kind Regards

Jonny

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    THe B&W speakers have a signature sound that veers towards the clinical side of things and it is usually suggested that clinical speakers are better partnered with warm sounding amplification. It is true that older Denon models veered towards the warm side, but the more recent AVRX models have a more clinical signature sound. If familiar with previous incarnations of Denon AV receivers then you may not take to the new sound associated with the new models? You also need to take a little bit more careful about the speakers you partner with the new models. If you dislike a clinical sound then partnering the AVRX models with clinical speaker will not be ideal. After saying this, the new Denon receivers are not so clinical in nature to be considered bright or harsh and you should still be able to use the B&W speakers in question without issue.

7. Lotusmad2001

Lotusmad2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i am a true beginner, I have had the speakers in mind for years and they still seem to be a good option. Maybe I should be looking at amplifiers that are a similar price but perhaps suit my needs better in terms of inputs. The denon was ever so slightly more powerful which I though would maybe give me a bit more scope and provide better quality at higher volumes? There seems to be so many topics on the subject of these speakers with pros and cons but like most things they all seem to contradict each other!

For watching loud movies and playing games, would these slight variations in sound make much difference to me? I'm kind of hoping they would blow me away however they get set up / matched with.

Thanks for replying :)

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    There's practically nothing between the Denon and the Yamaha in terms of power, but the Denon does pip the Yamaha slightly in terms of THD. It has a slighly lower THD rating in relation to a slightly higher power rating, but Denon don't rate any of their receivers below the AVR4520 as being suitable for use with 4 ohm loads. Yamaha on the other hand are happy for their lower end receivers to be partnered with low impedance speakers. This soort of suggests the amplification and PSU onboard the Yamaha receivers to be more capable than that associated with the DEnon models.

Either amp will power the speakers to reference levels within a small to moderate room.