1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite special editions

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by lurker75, Mar 8, 2005.

1. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leading on from the limited edition thread I was wondering what your favourite special edition DVDs were and why? I'm not looking for "because it's the only version in the world to have DTS" kind of answers. I'm looking for why these DVDs are special and what sets them apart from other DVDs. Also they must have cost under £20.

My three favourites special editions which are unlike any other DVDs are my Korean version of Hard Rain, Pearl Harbor region 1 director's cut and the Korean version of Black Hawk Down Superbit.

Hard Rain includes the script of the film in the form of a small book. It was obviously made to help Koreans speak and learn English because it includes the Korean version on the bottom of the page and the English version of the top.

The region 1 directors' cut of Pearl Harbor came in a beautiful package which unfolded revealing postcards and other little knick-knacks attached to the packaging. I hadn't seen packaging like that before receiving this DVD. The only thing I didn't like about the packaging was the cardboard slips holding the DVDs in place had no a soft material to protect the DVDs from scratching.

The reason I like black Hawk down was because not only was it a Superbit DVD it also included two discs worth of extras plus the original motion Picture soundtrack on CD. All of these goodies were then contained in a nice digipack packaging.

2. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I like my R1 'Wicker Man', in the wooden box with the burnt on image of said Wicker Man - creepy :eek:

3. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my R3 Special Editions of :-
    Ninja Scroll (beautiful box set with great contents)
    Kung Fu Hustle (LE set)
    and 'A Moment to Remember
    House of Flying Daggers LE set (got for £23 at release)

cheers

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I like special editions with fancy packaging, so for that reason some of my favourites would be

Panic Room 3 Disc
    Black Hawk Down 3 Disc
    Shawshank Redemption 3 Disc
    Hellboy 3 Disc

incidentally none of those cost me more than £10 :D

I also like my I Robot tin and my Hellraiser Lament Configuration boxset as they're a bit different, and i've just ordered a gorgeous holographic digipak of The Butterfly Effect which i'm really looking forward to receiving.

Another one i like it my holographic covered Halloween special edition DVD, but i also like this for the content, as it's a brilliant remastering of a movie older than I am. The first time i watched it, and heard it, i was gobsmacked :eek:

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    20th Anniversary Alien (R1), one of my favourite DVDs - has some cracking isolated scores too. Gotto love the way the DVD starts up, and has to reboot, lovely DVD menu!