1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite scene from a film please ?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Bristol Pete, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    OK, so we all know what our favourite films are, but lets have a chat about our favourite scenes from film, whether it be from a favourite film or not.
    Lets reason as to why a particular scene can eclipse a whole movie. I will go first and my opening gambit has to be -

Narc.

This is a superb movie, film of the year for me. The opening scene is simply filmmaking heaven. Using the classic hand cam, Jason Patrics character chases down a drug dealer. With a washed out colour palette, amazing visuals and a storming ambient soundtrack, this scene leaves you knowing that you are in for something special. The point at which Patric unloads his clip into the junkie is a superb piece of home cinema reference and never fails to make an audience jump out of their seat!

True Romance.

When Christopher Walken appears in Dennis Hoppers caravan looking for a clue as to the whereabouts of Clarence and Alabama, the tension goes through the roof. This has to rank as one of the greatest scenes in modern cinema and explains why both Walken and Hopper are regarded as two of the finest actors ever committed to celluloid. This is pure genius, and hoppers retort to Walkens self described ‘evil personified’ is genius. However, you know that despite his best efforts his time is up. I particularly love the way this film parodies a man on death row as Hopper takes his time to smoke one last cigarette. On a big screen, visually this is awesome as the smoke drifts across the screen, Hoppers terrified face says it all. Tony Scott, I salute you. Clearly one of the unsung heroes of British cinema, you are arguably a better filmmaker than the better-known 'Scott' brother.

Any Given Sunday.

Oliver Stones beauty and the beast master class is a hard-edged look at the world of American Football. Juxtaposing the brutality of the sport against its finer points is again film making genius and it’s an accurate reflection on what the NFL is really like. I can only refer to the scene in question a chapter 35 on the DVD.
    It’s the pre big game shake down in the dressing room and Al Pacino, superbly cast as a time served, weathered NFL coach is trying to get a team ethic back into his dysfunctional side, as for the duration of the film before hand, the team have descended into a unit incapable of trust, communication and team effort.
    The way Pacino delivers the dialogue in this scene is simply mesmerising and I can honestly say that I have used this piece to motivate myself before a half marathon race. It is pure emotion and like Hopper and Walken before him you really see an actor who is at one with his craft. I am sure that during the filming of this scene, other actors within Any given Sunday must have watched in awe as Pacino delivered this scene with an ability that other actors can only ever dream of. In fact I think that you can see it on their faces, which adds to the emotional impact that this scene has on me.

Well, thats my opening three. I am sure there are more?

Can you think of any you would like to share?

Cap:smashin:

2. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help cheering everytime I see Leonardo DiCaprio sink into the icy waters in Titanic.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine is the scene in gattaca, when the two brothers are swimming against each other for the final time. The one who is supposed to be the stronger, gives up and is close to drowning. He asks how can you do it, and Ethan hawks character replies...I never saved anything for the journey back.

It was very a powerful moment. Something that tells us a little about the human spirit.

4. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bit in The Commitments when Joey the Lips is telling Jimmy Rabbets old man about Elvis's dad puking into his trumpet.

Such a nothing anecdote told by a true con man to such great effect.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

Tico tracking blondie ( eastwood) and gradually catching up on him illustrated by the smoked cigars that he finds and draws on at each of eastwoods abandoned camp fires. The cigar butts get fresher and fresher until the final one that Tico draws on reignites and he gets a gleeful victorious smoke knowing that he's gaining on Eastwood. No dialogue but the music tells you everything you need to know.

sublime.

6. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok
    1 the depth charge scene in u571 watched it the other day with my new sub yea!

2 Matrix -Neo vs morp

3 leathal weapon 4- Chris tucker complaning with joe pesci. okokok

4- Opening scene of monsters inc(love the sound of the plastic ball

5- phone booth-when keither suth, says if you hang up the phone i will kill you.

Sorry couldn't just pick one

7. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    when i saw this thread i thought of true romance

this move is so full of great scenes, the most memorable being the trailor park scene mentioned above

also have to include the scene where marty goes to visit drexel, prolly my most memorable lines from this scene, sompn like...
    "i know im pretty, but i aint as pretty as a couple of titties",:rolleyes:

Quality entertainment....

Other scene thats springs to mind is the russian roulette scene from deer hunter..gritty,brutal, walken at his best, great movie again but shame about the looooooooooooooong wedding bit.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    More suited to Movies and TV

Moving

9. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    My all-time fave - the scene where Blake (Alec Baldwin) has been sent by head office to give the salesmen a pep talk. He isn't very nice to them!

Too many profanities to quote the dialogue, but it's endlessly rewatchable. So are many other scenes in this movie.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Das Boot.
    Where the boat has been sitting at 280m in a bad way. The scene has most of the crew stood gasping around the depth gauge as they blow the last of the air into the tanks. The emotion as the boat finally begins to rise and the sheer brilliance of its music, filming and acting means that as far as I'm concerned its in a class of its own.

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pulp Fiction: Christopher Walken - "This was you daddy's watch..." :rotfl: :rolleyes: :rotfl:

12. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scene from Lock stock and two smoking barrels:-
    Roary Breaker (crazy black guy with an afro and cheezy grin)- The scene with nick the greek............

ROARY " Right i believe your inocent or you wouldnt turn up with that OH whats goin on here look slapped all over your cherry chase"!!

Then the scene following ....

Roary- "I know that you know where i can find them.....
    1) if you lie to me i'l kill ya.
    2)if you think of lying i'l kill ya
    3) if you bend the truth i'l kill ya
    4)---------------------------i'l kill ya
    so basically your going to have to work very hard to stay alive nick!!
    RIGHT MR BUBBLE N SQUEAK...You may now enlighten me..
    (cheesy grin)

A classic movie already!!

DANNY-P

13. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    opening scene from full metal jacket ooooo that seargent hartman

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off

15. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Snatch:
    Bullet Tooth Tony: .... and the fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun. (withdraws his gun) And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... F*** off!

SpaceBalls:
    Sir! I've lost the beeps, the sweeps and the creeps!
    The What?
    The What?
    And The What?

Dark Helmet: Careful you idiot! I said by her nose, not up it!
    Laser Gunner: Sorry sir! I'm doing my best!
    Dark Helmet: Who made that man a gunner?
    Major: I did sir. He's my cousin.
    Dark Helmet: Who is he?
    Colonel Sandurz: He's an a**hole sir.
    Dark Helmet: I know that! What's his name?
    Colonel Sandurz: That is his name sir. A**hole, Major A**hole!
    Dark Helmet: And his cousin?
    Colonel Sandurz: He's an a**hole too sir. Gunner's mate First Class Philip A**hole!

Silence of the Lambs
    When Clarice first walks up to Hannibal's 'cage' the tension builds to such a high degree only to be greeted by a calm polite sounding gentleman, who quickly un-nerves the entire audience. Fantastic scene.

Star Wars
    Very first scene when Princess Leia's ship flys by followed by the immense Star Destoyer.
    Then soon after when Darth Vader strides in and you think, Now THIS is a decent bad guy.

Desperado
    The two big shootouts near the start, the first where Steve Buscemi describes it and the second where Antonio Banderas is "actually" doing it. Both being so outrageous, it makes it excellent viewing.

I'd better stop there, I'll start listing my favorite bits of every film I've enjoyed.

16. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The showdown in Unforgiven is awesome:
    "Anybody that doesn't want to get killed best clear on out the back."

But I think my favourite scene is the final shots of Bob Hoskins' expressions in The Long Good Friday, as he sits in the back of the car...that scene always sticks in my mind.

17. Gaspode

Gaspode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

Jefferson Smith: Just get up off the ground, that's all I ask. Get up there with that lady that's up on top of this Capitol dome, that lady that stands for liberty. Take a look at this country through her eyes if you really want to see something. And you won't just see scenery; you'll see the whole parade of what Man's carved out for himself, after centuries of fighting. Fighting for something better than just jungle law, fighting so as he can stand on his own two feet, free and decent, like he was created, no matter what his race, color, or creed. That's what you'd see. There's no place out there for graft, or greed, or lies, or compromise with human liberties. And, uh, if that's what the grownups have done with this world that was given to them, then we'd better get those boys' camps started fast and see what the kids can do. And it's not too late, because this country is bigger than the Taylors, or you, or me, or anything else. Great principles don't get lost once they come to light. They're right here; you just have to see them again!

18. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Empire Strikes Back - The asteroid chase sequence.

Forget the speeder bikes in Jedi, forget Independence day (quite easily done actually !), forget Neo, forget Dinosaurs, forget John Woo, as far as the broad pallete of impressive action sequences go this is the greatest choreographed sequence ever made IMHO !! Check out the pre-CGI effects, absolutely top flight and proves that it's better to have top direction in a sequence than amazingly slick, unbelievable and hollow CGI. John Williams' score absolutely hits the spot and has me falling off the edge of my seat every time I view it.

"Sir, the possibility of succesfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3720 to 1"
    "Never tell me the odds !"

Jaws - Robert Shaw's 'USS Indianapolis' speech

Masterful, nuf' said

Gangster no. 1 - "Thats my favourite axe"

O.K. film, but in this particular scene Bettany is the epitome of calm menace with a psychotic edge.

19. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The scene at the end of "The Killers" when Lee Marvin says to Angie Dickinson, " Lady, I just don't have the time."

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

20. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The GLADIATOR at the begining of the film when Maximus said "On my command unleash Hell"...and hell broke loose..Good for Demo as well.

21. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It has to be the scene at the end of LEON - "THIS IS FOR MATHILDA"

22. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    "I have something to give you. I don't want it anymore. Thirty hours of pain all at once, all for you"

Eric Draven sends Top Dollar to a gruesome ending.

23. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Heat

Al & Robert go for a cup of coffee.

Not a great scene in and off itself but to see the two of them finally meet and chat on screen was one of the highlights of my movie watching life to date.

Sad, I know.

24. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm a sucker for cinematography so the winner is:

The emerging figure in the desert in Lawrence of Arabia.

Honourable mention

First sight of Harry Lime in The Third Man (of course along with the sewer scene)

And a scene that always makes me smile - Ferris Beuller's monologue in the shower

25. loz99

loz99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Godfather II - Michael & Fredo at the seedy joint in Cuba,
    when Fredo starts mouthing about being there before with
    Lohnny Ola , having previously told Michael he'd never been to Cuba before - Michael immediately quessing the lie has been found out and knowing Fredo's been in league with his enemies.
    The knowing look on Michael's face. The look on Fredo's face
    knowing he'd let the cat out of the bag and wondering if Michael got the picture. This scene is much more to do with looks than dialogue and both Pacino & Cazale play the scene to perfection!!
    this scene is magic - sheer class!!

Godfather II - When Michael Kisses Fredo at the Ball in Cuba, stares knowingly at him and say's "You Broke My Heart".

Godfather II - Later on when the Revolution has begun and Michael is beckoning to Fredo to come with him to safety - take note of the terror on Fredo's face before he runs away - note
    that Fredo is actually more afraid of Michael than the impending
    current possible dangers of the Revolution taking place all around him.

Godfather I,II & III are absolutey packed with superb scenes etc

That is all

loz99

26. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just saw Lawrencce of Arabia on Moday, first time on DVD and I still think the scene whre Omar Sheriff makes his appearance from the horizon and approaches the well where Lawrence and his guide were drinking. It is one of the most eerie (almost scary)and beautifully shot scene ever i think, and all so simply shot.

27. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

I'd go for...

Heat - the actual bank heist/street shootout is just the most amazing action scene, I've ever seen committed to celluloid

Last Of The Mohicans (Michael Mann's version) - about 100 minutes into the film, when Chingachook (sp?) is on top of the precipice, and has just seen Colonel Munroe's daughter Alice commit suicide after she decides that that's a better option than taking his hand to rescue herself, before then having a wonderfully brutal fight with one of the good mohican warriors. Amazing and shocking, all at the same time.

Akira - the bike-chase through Neo-Tokyo, 2019 AD.

Pooch

28. GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AGREED, that is an absolute cracking scene!!

Also have to agree with those people who mentioned True Romance.. some amazing scenes in that including the uncut shower fight sequence when Patricia Arquette is hurled through the glass. *ouch*

Alien - The sweaty fingers, terrified Ripley scene. *EEK!*

Aliens - "Get away from her you bitch!"

Bound - Perfect Film noir all the way through, cinematography to die for but fav scene has to be when Caesar shoots Marzonne . Gripping. Oh and the chicken cutters lopping off a finger.. or is it a thumb... excrutiating stuff.

29. loz99

loz99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Where Eagles Dare'
    The violent struggle on top of the cable car when the 2 traitors
    are climbing up to kill Richard Burton's Character. The following
    struggle when he sticks the ice pick into the upper arm of one
    of them and then crunches his boot into the others nose.
    then the first guy losing grip and falling backwards to his doom,
    yes the special effects look a little dated, but the entire scene
    is well done and brutally scary.

That is all

loz99

30. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't believe no one's mentioned the scene in Fight Club behind the convinience store when Tyler "gives life" Raymond K Hessel. Perfect acting on all parts and sums up the whole ethos of Fight Club. Superb scene.