Your favourite ever meal

Astraeus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Be it because the food was that good, it was a particularly special moment or you just don't think you'll have have a culinary experience on a par with it, what was your favourite meal of all time?

For me, it was a dinner at The Brehon hotel in Killarney, Ireland. Not only was the food outstanding, the hotel and surroundings were beautiful and it capped one of the last holidays we had as a family.

1. My Mothers home made Lasagne.
2. Curries from the local Indian.
3. Pizza Express - Diavolo Pizza.

In that order.

I've never had anything overly fancy and thought much of it. They're just my favourite foods, anytime I have them they're great.

My wife's beef stew with home made suet dumplings.
My wife's lasagne with fresh egg pasta

Pretty much anything my missus makes, shes one hell of a cook :)

My wife's beef stew with home made suet dumplings.
My wife's lasagne with fresh egg pasta

Pretty much anything my missus makes, shes one hell of a cook :)

Funny, I would say the same, also in that order, my wife makes them both perfectly. Really proves that food does not have to be real fancy in order to be delicious.

Eating out, I love a good Chinese meal. I also love Lobster, steak and even a visit to the chippy once in a while :smashin:

My favourite meal is proper pie, mash and liquor.

That combination of slightly burnt crusty pie, soft mash and thick parsley sauce with the added bite of chilli vinegar is unbeatable.

Funny, I would say the same, also in that order, my wife makes them both perfectly. Really proves that food does not have to be real fancy in order to be delicious.

Eating out, I love a good Chinese meal. I also love Lobster, steak and even a visit to the chippy once in a while :smashin:

Oh yeah can't forget a well cooked steak, though i'm yet to go to a proper steak house and get a real good piece of steak.
It's on my to do list though :thumbsup:

Any type of fish would do me I suppose Monkfish or Scallops would be at the top of the list.

I made a nice rocket, chilli jam and squid starter the other day which I could happily include in any favorite menu I could devise. :)

Cannot fail to mention the good old reliable cod in batter with a wedge of lemon and chips... :)

Cod is not so common in Holland and I have never seen it battered. Such a fantastic combination and has now made me hungry :D

I think the OP means which specific occassion, not favourite food in general.

Where, when, why, the occassion & what did you eat.

Meatball Calzone from Frankie & Benny's!!! Anyone else been there?

Mums Meat Pudding, I would kill to get this

Best outside meal, Pizza hut Meatfeast.

Would never go back after a situation a few years back. Phoned to book a table for 18 which was supposedly ok. Tuned up on the night and told I should have booked :eek: Meant we had to eat at a nearby hotel which cost me over £600 Few weeks later, called into the same place and ordered....... food quality was disgusting and cutlery was filthy. Staff did not really care either.

So.... defiantly off my list for future venues.

I think I'd rather eat my own scrotum than go again.

If its a one time only combination of food, company and circumstance it would be a lengthy meal consumed in Okawari some years ago. As ever the food was great but it was the last time a significant number of my university course friends were together in one place, a fact made more pertinant by the death of one of them eight weeks later and another has been killed in Afganistan since then.

In terms of what we ate, I seem to recall looking at the menu and going "yeah that'll be fine" so we consumed a fair bit.

for me, it has to be a full english breakfast in the morning, roast in the evening

edit: sweet n sour pork dim sum buns from chinatown

Last edited:
My most memorable meal was in O'Callaghan's steak house in Vegas (located in New York New York). It was my one of my first experience's of dining out in America and the service and the meal itself was faultless.

My favourite restaurant is a small Thai place in Dublin. The atmosphere is always good, again with brilliant service.

I've eaten in much more expensive places than the above 2 which haven't come close to being as good.

Last edited:
Oh yeah can't forget a well cooked steak, though i'm yet to go to a proper steak house and get a real good piece of steak.
It's on my to do list though :thumbsup:

You can do a steak at home far better than 99% of restaurants can.

Buy a cast iron skillet, get some fillet steak for around £15, roll it gently with a rolling pin and brush lightly with olive oil. Crush a few peppercorns and sprinkle over the top.

When the pan starts to smoke, add the steak and cook each side for about 2 and a half minutes.

Addd a few sprigs of rocket to a simple salad and bob's your uncle.

A vivid memory I have of a great meal was in an Italian restaurant in Tulum, Mexico, probably the best steak (rib eye) I have ever had which was perfectly complemented by the crashing waves of the nearby sea and ice cold Dos Equis :cool:.

Of course maybe it wasn't actually that good but just seemed so compared to the rest of the food I had in Mexico which was of a surprisingly low standard.

Would have to be the steaks at the Baracuda in Nice, a little place Gran Canaria near the beach at playa del ingles came a close second

My most memorable meal was in O'Callaghan's steak house in Vegas (located in New York New York). It was my one of my first experience's of dining out in America and the service and the meal itself was faultless.

A vivid memory I have of a great meal was in an Italian restaurant in Tulum, Mexico, probably the best steak (rib eye) I have ever had which was perfectly complemented by the crashing waves of the nearby sea and ice cold Dos Equis :cool:.

It's odd that so far we have four best meals consisting of steak and these have been in Nice, Gran Canaria, Mexico and USA none of which are countries reknowned for the quality of their steaks.

Arguably the best steaks in the world come from the UK with Aberdeen Angus top of the tree and although I've eaten steaks in loads of different countries I've never eaten anything as good as prime Scottish steaks whether cooked at home or in restaurants.

I ate there a few weeks ago now and have to say it was the best steak I have ever eaten. It just melted in the mouth and although the size of a cow, so easy to cut and eat. Was fantastic! We also tried the reputed best steak house in vegas at Circus Circus (it really is out of place being in that hotel) and the first two courses were fantastic, but the Porterhouse steak was chewy and full of grissel, so disappointing - it was our last night there and we had hoped for better.
The only steak that comes close to that, was in a hotel in Scotland- forget the name, it's in Melrose...now that was excellent and local.
I have been to many fancy restaurants on business trips where the clients are trying very hard to impress and everytime it's been a disappointment and hardly a meal to satisy your hunger, nevermind anything else. Yes it all looks pretty with fancy layout on the plates, but I have yet to taste anything in these places that comes close to making what must be the cost of the meals worthwhile, I have yet to enjoy such an experience and its now something I dread on every trip of this kind.

Last edited:
Best Meal is my wifes' jerk chicken or her spaghetti bolgnese with an indian twist.

Best Ever Meal Experience for me was when an employee of my ex company took out 3 of us for a meal, all expenses paid. Entertaining clients was one thing, but he didnt realise that taking out ex-employees was a major no-no (2 of us had resigned a fair while back on bad terms and was now taking away business by working directly for the clients).
All three of us proceeded to order the lobster with all the trimmings in the poshest fish eaterie in town.
Then once that was cleaned up, the dessert menu was brought over. When the waiter came back to take our dessert orders, the three of us just went ahead and ordered yet another round of Lobsters :D

Our friend told us about the look on the faces of our ex-managers once they realised that they'd funded a night out for ex-employees, but the real kodak moment was when they saw the bill for 8 rounds of lobsters and numerous doubles of rather expensive cognac.
Never enjoyed a meal so much :D

It's odd that so far we have four best meals consisting of steak and these have been in Nice, Gran Canaria, Mexico and USA none of which are countries reknowned for the quality of their steaks.

Arguably the best steaks in the world come from the UK with Aberdeen Angus top of the tree and although I've eaten steaks in loads of different countries I've never eaten anything as good as prime Scottish steaks whether cooked at home or in restaurants.

You're forgetting Argentina, which is where the quality steak in Mexico is likely to come from.

The steaks in Gran Canaria are probably Argentinian too as the steaks that we had in Lanzarote over Christmas certainly were. Very good but still not as good as Aberdeen Angus.

Anything my wife cooks as she is brilliant. Greek Lamb with Orzo being my favorite (but that's this week's choice).

As for an overall dining experience, I would have to nominate a fantastic Thai restaurant in Dayton, Ohio. Having lived there for three years, it became a regular haunt. The restaurant itself was in an old warehouse, tastefully decorated with big high ceilings, great atmosphere and service. And I could never quite decide what was better out of the thai or sushi dishes......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom