Your favorite PC gaming experiences

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What have been your favorite PC gaming experiences? Specifically experiences which you feel were enhanced by being on PC but doesn't matter if they weren't.
Some of mine are below:

Divinity Original Sin 1&2: Happy it came to consoles but oh god, PC is the way to play this PHENOMENAL mesmerising game which is addictive, challenging, fun, intelligent, witty and IMO the pinnacle of this genre for now.

Planscape Torment: Amazing, touching, phenomenal story with an awful navigation, awful battle system and irritating UI. But oh god, that story.

Witcher 3 modded: this game, with the dynamic HUD removal, the dynamic mini map system which marks things on the screen rather than the mini map, the super ultrawide screen FOV.. I was in heaven playing this game on PC. I played it at 120hz AND at 4K and wow.

Skyrim 4K and VR - modded, this game is just whatever you want it to be. Drop dead gorgeous, some phenomenal ENB choices.. the PS4/Xbox version is just nothing like the modded one which can be whatever you want it to be.

Trails in the Sky series including the games which are only in Japan - without PC and the modding community, I never would have been able to play this. The most touching, beautiful, best world building in a series I have ever played.

Any suggestions and games you felt were enhanced or just some of your favourite experiences, combined with being on PC?

First time I went into Ironfogre in World of Warcraft, what a world opened up in that game, I still don’t think any other MMO comes close.

Played a lot of games since the early 80's, but i must say VR has been the best experience ever.
Without doubt, sim racing is THE best, especially open wheeler in AC/PC2 or GT3 in ACC.
I have seen me come off a session with sweat dripping down me.
Having a motion rig helps a LOT too.
It all started with Toca2.

Second would be CoD (or other 1st person shooters), multi player with my mates. Been doing this for over 20 years. This all stated with Rainbow Six.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 and 2 for me.
It was the first game I really played multiplayer, and managed to find a good group of people to play with. We would often have 12 of us filling a lobby and playing for hours.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 and 2 for me.
It was the first game I really played multiplayer, and managed to find a good group of people to play with. We would often have 12 of us filling a lobby and playing for hours.
Ours was CoD2 and Medal Of Honour.
We even had our own server at one point and played loads of DLC user created maps.
I still have CoD2 which i played last year with loads of lads form work. Was great fun but VERY dated.

Mine date back quite a while and often overlooked:

Pro Evo Soccer 4 was released on PC back in 2004/5 or something. It was the first time ever on PC and it came with online play (with a bit of faffing). The PS2 version was local only.

I loved it and set up a great little league over at The DVD Forums which grew from 10 players to eventually 30+ and 2 leagues. Was brilliant.

I would also count Battlefield 2 back in the day on PC. I never played BF 1942 but OMG BF2 was amazing. Playing in squads with mates and the whole mass warfare thing blew me away.

Elite Dangerous in VR. No other game has come close to being jaw dropping for me.

Playing red alert 2 with my dad when i was about 15. I say playing, i was his 2ic.

My first overnighter. It was almost a right of passage in to the big wide world. 14 and a bit apprehensive when i ended up sitting next to a 30 year old trans woman but we ended up rinsing everyone on counterstrike all night.

Playing red alert 2 with my dad when i was about 15. I say playing, i was his 2ic.

My first overnighter. It was almost a right of passage in to the big wide world. 14 and a bit apprehensive when i ended up sitting next to a 30 year old trans woman but we ended up rinsing everyone on counterstrike all night.
My earliest memories of playing a game on the PC was theme hospital and age of empire's. Obvisouly has the Nintendo etc when I was younger but never played a PC game until the above

My first ever PC gaming experience was playing the original Doom with my cousin, on my aunt's PC. I was probably about 11 or 12. I wasn't from a family who had a professional need for a home PC back then and probably couldn't have afforded one. I was blown away by it and it stuck with me for a brave while.

I didn't get my first PC until about 98/99, but went to a local computer club for a few years before that where I got my first taste of proper multiplayer games over LAN. I was hooked on RTS games at that time, mainly Command and Conquer and Age of Empires, though lost many hours to Hidden & Dangerous, the original Medal of Honor and one of my favourite games ever, System Shock 2. Also played a lot of the LucasArts point and click advetures I'd missed like the Monkey Island games and Sam & Max.

I went through a few rigs I built myself up to the last one I built for Half-Life 2, then kind of lost interest in PCs and moved to consoles, only returning when I built my current rig at the end of last year after a while chasing parts. I've missed a lot!

Everquest - My second MMO after Ultima and have never been able to recapture the magic of it. So hardcore and punishing . You really had to dungeon crawl as you were penalised with XP lose, could de level and worst of all could lose your corpse and all your equipment. No maps or any help. This was a game that forced you to interact with other players.

My fave PC game moments:

1990-1994
Civilization
Championship Manager 93
Monkey Island 1/2
(and other LucasArt point n click games)

1995-1999
SWOS
Civilzation 2
FIFA 98

2000-2009
Half Life 1/2
Deus Ex
Unreal Tournament
CoD MW 1/2
Civilization 4

2010-2020
Skyrim
Fallout 4
Planet Coaster
Cities Skylines

I am old so please keep that in mind

My fav Gaming experiences have been

Unreal tournament (Made me get a PC)
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Return to Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
Soldat

Of late I struggle getting into games as much probably a time thing and having kids.

Darko

Links golf on the pc at work. Was a 386 SX20.

Bought my first pc specifically to play X-Wing (was a DX25? I think, was amazed at the difference in drawing in the course on Links), it was so good I went out the next day and spent about £120, which was a hell of a lot of money back then, to buy a sound card and it was worth every penny for the proper music and authentic whine of the TIE fighters as they flew past.

Also being able to play Civilization without having to swap discs every time you met another Civ or had to open the throne room, like on the Atari ST I’d come from.

Sooooo many to choose from, being an old dude.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - no graphics, quirky puzzles and very limiting vocabularly but somehow it worked.

The Hobbit - similar to above but with (very slowly drawn) still graphics. A great adventure game.

Elite - now this is what I am talking about. Line drawn graphics in "3D". I had the Amstrad version so my line drawn graphics were coloured in.

Manic Miner - trying to jump across a seemingly impossible gap hitting a rubber spectrum key is everything you wpuld think it is and more.

Test Match Cricket - Stick men cricket, another Amstrad classic. You could rename the players to your mates names!!

Doom - The game that got me into FPS games. Loved it.

Dark Forces - Wait, a Star Wars FPS... take my money.

Tie Fighter -WAIT, you can fly them now? Take all my money. I spent hours in this game. With the seemless expansions there was something like 113 missions! Epic.

Half life and HL2 - fave games ever. "We don't go to Ravenholm any more" is arguably tbe best level ever in a FPS game.

Lots more to come....

Wolfenstein 3D
F29 Retaliator
Doom
Wing Commander
Battle of Britain
SWOTL
Aces of the Pacific
Falcon 3
Strike Commander
Jane's WW2 Fighters
Comanche
Dune 2
Command & Conquer

...too many to remember!

After that it was a bit of a gaming lull for me as everything since has been pretty much a rehash of past games with prettier graphics. VR in 2016 is where I decided to re-enter gaming.

Joining Wireplay and playing Air Attack online against real people was an absolute blast! Racking up stupidly high phone bills through a 14k modem... ahhh bliss! The joys of my very first mmo. :)

Closely followed by Fighter Ace and meeting lots of new American friends, even meeting up with them during an east coast meet up in Florida.

After that it was many many very drunken nights getting through Molten Core with 39 other great teammates.

Great times, I doubt they'll ever be as good again.

Return to castle wolfenstien
And when I was in a clan playing unreal tournament great memories.

Joining Wireplay and playing Air Attack online against real people was an absolute blast! Racking up stupidly high phone bills through a 14k modem... ahhh bliss! The joys of my very first mmo. :)

Closely followed by Fighter Ace and meeting lots of new American friends, even meeting up with them during an east coast meet up in Florida.

After that it was many many very drunken nights getting through Molten Core with 39 other great teammates.

Great times, I doubt they'll ever be as good again.

Wireplay was a special place. I would argue that nothing has been as good since. I know everything is looked back on with rose tinted glasses, but Wireplay seemed to have a sense of community that later options didn't have. Probably because everyone logged into the software before playing the games, and the same people and clans would play across multiple games.

I lost days of my life playing Air Attack, Team Fortress Classic and Counter Strike in multiple clans Good times. I stuck around with Air Attack after Wireplay died, through the standalone and German reincarnations before it eventually died. Mostly in [TKFM].

Everquest - My second MMO after Ultima and have never been able to recapture the magic of it. So hardcore and punishing . You really had to dungeon crawl as you were penalised with XP lose, could de level and worst of all could lose your corpse and all your equipment. No maps or any help. This was a game that forced you to interact with other players.
The same game, but for very different reasons. I hated those aspects you mentioned and it eventually led to me abandoning the game. I'm really not big on social stuff.

For me it was the scale of the game. It just seemed so big when it came out, much larger than any other game world I can remember at that time, even before the first expansion. I think the 3D aspect of the graphics, which was still a relatively new thing at the time, made it feel even larger. Travelling on foot between Qeynos and Freeport was a truly epic journey, as was the journey between Freeport and Faydwer by sea.

For me

Quake, first game I played on pc, then went and bought a voodoo 3dfx card for it

Then quakeworld and playing quake 1 online :)

I then found wire play and got into red alert 2 which in turn got me phone bills of £400 per quarter and a phone bill the size of a phone directory.

Then got into forsaken, becoming a club captain on wireplay and running weekly tournaments

The got into shogo MAD, again became club captain for that game and played for the UK team at the playing fields in London

Wireplay was a special place. I would argue that nothing has been as good since. I know everything is looked back on with rose tinted glasses, but Wireplay seemed to have a sense of community that later options didn't have. Probably because everyone logged into the software before playing the games, and the same people and clans would play across multiple games.

I lost days of my life playing Air Attack, Team Fortress Classic and Counter Strike in multiple clans Good times. I stuck around with Air Attack after Wireplay died, through the standalone and German reincarnations before it eventually died. Mostly in [TKFM].

Ahh, the good ole Kung Foo Monks! :)
I do agree about Wireplay, Garion could be a bit huffy but other than that a great place!

Tigers CO here ;)

A lot of great games.. couple others not mentioned yet..
Team Fortress 2
c&c
age of empires
warcraft 3
Diablo 2

I started on bbc / zz spectrum then onto a 486dx2 or something = doom, c&c etc

Longest game played was world of Warcraft followed by Dota2/TF2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom