1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your DVD reviews...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,404
    I'm thinking of adding user reviews to the bottom of the DVD reviews on Total DVD. People could fill in a form with thier own review of a DVD. Anyone think this is a good idea? Would anyone be interested in writing their own reviews of DVDs? Or do you think it would be a waste of time?

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre,

This sounds like a good idea at the time, but personally I think there are many other sites doing this already that it wouldn't be such a worthwhile feature. You'd also have to decide whether it's a free-for-all review, or a specific look at the feature itself, pic quality, sound quality, extras included e.t.c. e.t.c. It's difficult to be subjective (i.e. say it's bad) if you've shelled out 18 pounds plus for a disc and still got it !

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there are enough mags, papers and sites offering comprehensive reviews of the films themselves in terms of story, production and acting etc.

It also seems obvious that many HT owners are as much concerned about demo material as they are about actually watching a decent film.

What might therefore be useful is a list of owners' views/scores on things like PQ and SQ. Seems like everyone is keen to get hold of reference quality/demo discs even if the films themselves aren't about to win any Oscars.

Maybe an 'out of 10' score for PQ, SQ, menus and extras plus a brief comment box to highlight any drastic plusses or negatives?

That way it would be quick and simple to decide which discs are going to show off your HT and which are films you buy because you like the actors/storyline.

It would also be useful in bringing up any PQ/SQ difference between regions (assuming you'd have each reviewer also list the region format of their disc).

4. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    add a ratings section...
    pic quality, sound quality, film in general, extras and overall - not entirely original, i know, but i value the views of collegues at work who own H.E. systems

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Yeah,

great idea I for one would review every new DVD that I get, I love giving my opinion on everything thAT i watch.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not a bad idea. Prefer a quick and painless rating system rather than writing a book about the movie. PQ, SQ, Extras and Film as major criterias, perhaps the average for each and total can be calcuated from the reviews submitted.

Should include the region code of the DVD (possible comparision in form of a table for each disc from different regions?) and reviewer must be able to state the equipment used (link to profile or similar).

Short comments can be allowed but it should not turn into a discussion forum ala audioreview.com ... (thus only one entry per user allowed)

The above is just a suggestion.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,404
    Thanks, guys. I'm working on creating it.

8. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's a great idea and would be more than happy to contribute.