1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your display setups for HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CrispyXUK, May 11, 2005.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

Currently using my PC for HTPC duties, its connected to a 17" TFT and Panny AE300 in clone mode, when I boot meedio the display changes from 1280x1024 (for desktop PC mode) to 1280x720 for the PJ, I was wondering what you guys use so I can see if there is a better solution for me, I was thinking;

Dual Display; Primary: TFT @ 1280x1024, PJ @ 1280x720 with full screen theater mode enabled, but I'd have to change display mode for games

Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Would you not be better using the native setting for the PJ for the resolution so that you get 1:1 pixel mapping?

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nah, the difference isnt that great and 1280x720 is more compatible with most stuff these days anyway, the PJ is obviously much better at down scaling than upscaling. Anyway I'm more interested in how you guys change between using monitor and PJ really

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an ATI 9800Pro. The VGA connects to my 17" TFT at 1280x1024 and the DVI goes to my Sony pj at 1366x768.

I assume you are using nVidia?

Dave

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, I'm using Nvidia, I assume your setup to display video full screen on the J there then? what do you do when you play games? or do you not bother?

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I barely have time to watch DVDs, let alone play games!

Dave

7. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My problem is that if I set to dual display I can have 2 different resolutions with the plasma/projector set to full screen video. The problem with this is that the plasma will not show MCE or anything else other than video. This means that I have to go to the other room, start the film then go back. PITA.
    If I set it to clone mode (thus allowing me to see MCE etc) it doesn't allow me to set different resolutions. Bugger! So I'm stuck with using clone mode, with the correct resolution set for the plasma. This means if I'm using the PC I have the wrong resolution. The only solution I can think of is to build a dedicated pc for htpc duties.

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thats how I have it set currently, I have setup a menu group item in meedio to change resolutions as and when I need to, this currently seems to be the best option so far

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I start MCE in a window and drag it across to the pj, doesn't that work for you?

Dave

10. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you extend your desktop onto your PJ and have mce open in that part of the display? Clever!
    Will try that out later.

Crispy
    I didn't know you could do that with Meedio (I think it's the only media package I haven't tried yet).

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

There isnt a lot that you cannot do with meedio, its just not as easy as MCE

12. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Was playing with powerstrip to switch primary monitors this morning ... only had 5 mins and while it seemed to work on the first attempt it also threw up a memory error and wouldn't switch back, also screwed up the res of the original primary display.

tft 1280x1024 via dvi, tv ?res via svid running extended mode- tft was primary display with mce running fullscreen. configured powerstrip's hotkey manager with a setting for the "switch primary display" option, tried it out ... bang - full screen MCE on the tv at the reduced resolution (plus all the other windows stuff there too behind - should you window mce etc). once switched the tft res went screwy, the error message box displayed, and I had to reset the tft's res\extend to this monitor by hand.

The plan was\is to use this similar setup between my TV (rgb from vga @ 1024x57) and PJ (hdmi from dvi @ 1280x760) and configure girder or something to fire the powerstrip primary-toggle hotkey sequence when I want to change displays. Will need to overcome the powerstrip problems following the first switch tho ! ? :(