1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your DAP - What you own and why?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Aug 19, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I want a good, clean fight. No spitting, back-biting or hitting below the belt (gerbilly? johann? I'm watching the pair of you ;) ).

Seriously, what DO you own? And why?

I'll post my answer when I've had a think about it - and after dodgy has given me my next anti-Sony jab :D

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I own a Sony Network Walkman HD5.

Why? The sound quality - no distortion.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <stands to address group> My name is shadowritten ... and I also own a Sony ... Network Walkman (HD5H). I like it because it plays gapless, has a vast HDD compared to some other DAPs I've tried ... and my mother never hugged me as a child.

That was cathartic. Do we go round the circle now? Sit down? Yes, sorry ...

4. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, haven't we covered this topic in other threads already? Well, I have a Sony NW-HD5. I wanted a DAP to replace my old MD Walkman. The HD5 had enough capacity for me, satisfactory sound quality, and most of the features I was looking for. I chose it over the iPod for reasons I've already explained .

Andrew

5. Bacon_N_Cheese

Bacon_N_Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sooo...what does DAP stand for? Anyways, my Sony NW-HD5 is being shipped to me. I should have it by the end of next week. I chose it because I heard of its great sound quality, long battery life, removable batterries, and I just trust Sony.

6. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh yeah, we should have explained that. Or, more precisely, Shadowritten should have explained it (hint, hint). DAP stands for Digital Dudio Player.

Andrew

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its Digital Audio Player, non dudio lol andrew

The acronym (is that right?) that i dont know is that DAB or whatever that people want on their DAP's, what is it?, only thing i can think of is Digital audio broardcast or something like HD digital TV, but ive never heard of DAB.

8. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :oops:

Yeah, me too. And shadow set up a poll asking "Who'll be first to bring DAB to DAPs" without explaining either term! Maybe this forum needs a glossary.

Andrew

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies gents - I was assuming too much knowledge on the part of some of you, clearly. Yes, DAP stands for Digital Audio Player (the correct term for 'iPods' or 'MP3 players'); DAB stands for 'Digital Audio Broadcasting', as correctly guessed by Sasso!

10. pcusack

pcusack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant! It's like saying "I got an Ipod 'cos everyone else seems to have one! I heard they were great"

Ref trust Sony.They are a great company. I work for a large electronics manufacturer and all the big boys produce similar kit built to similar standards (good and bad!). Remember that Sony brought this product out after the Ipod had started to flood the market. Was the first Sony unit rushed out?? The first few generations of Ipod probably were.

I have an Ipod mini. Why?
    I was given it for my birthday. It suits me fine as I tend to use it in the car, when flying (too often at the mo'!) and around the garden etc. Therefore dont need more than 10 hours battery life. Dont need a bigger hard drive as the hard drive on my computer is too small and cant hold enough as it is.

11. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi my name is Kevin and ive been an alco......ooops wrong forum

Ive got the Rio Karma about 4 weeks ago and its truly awesome none of the hard disk bother or joy stick problems much talked about in the early Karma days.

Bought on the recomendation of many others after having lengthy trials of the Ipod and HD5 and bought it purely for SQ it just wipes the floor with the others with decent phones and through my Bang & Olufsen thro house integrated system.

I know im flying in the face of all the Ipod and Hd5 owners but it does gapless, it does excellent SQ, the Rio DJ is superb,does ogg vorbis & flac and i dont particularly find it looks offensive like some do when its sat in the dock playing thro the home system. At only £130 it was an absolute steal and i notice you can now pick Rio refurbed units up at £115 again a steal for probably and arguably still the best sound quality DAP.

12. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    My name is Gerbilly and I own a 6gb Silver Mini I-pod and Also a shuffle.

When initially intending to purchase this I didnt think I needed a 20gb or 30gb DAP. However I went to John Lewis and listened to the Sony HD3, Zen Touch, I-pod Mini and also a I-river dap (forget which one). To me the SQ of the i-pod was the best through my Sennheiser PX100 phones, with I-River and the Zen next best. I didnt like the bass and a hissing sound from the Sony. However as I own a mac my choice was limited to only two of the ones I listened to. However I was glad that the I-pod sounded the best to me.

Since then I wanted something small and simple and light for when I go running and I picked the shuffle. The sound quality from this wee piece of plastic is amazing.

Fighting the good fight against a mass of Sony Sheep! :D

I have over 1200 songs on my mini with most recorded at either 128 or 192.

13. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I bought an Archos GMINI 402 (20Gb)(http://www.archos.com/products/gmini_402/)

The reason?
    Well it does
    1. Audio quality on par with Ipod/Creative units (Is this good enough???), no distortion, and although it has 'bass boost' as well as bass/treble, it is 'clean'.
    2. Plays 30fps 720*480 XVids (With b-frame support and VBR MP3 support) as well as MPEG 4 SP, Divx 4/5, and WMV (With DRM)
    3. Has an excellent 2.2" 226*176 pixel LCD
    4. Displays Photos (With Exif) / Slideshow ability
    5. Has TV Out for playing Video/Photo's at better resolutions
    6. Has USB Host port (USBOTG), connect to any removable storage device (Camera/HDD, etc) and transfer files to/from the attached device
    7. Has the choice of being a removable device or a MTG Windows Device when you connect it you your PC
    8. You can use Windows Media Player to sync libraries, or just drop files onto it, it automatically updates its MP3 ID3 library in less then 2 seconds when you disconnect from your PC.
    9. Has File/Folder Browsing and ID3 Library Browsing, the choice is upto you
    10. Very Very flexible in creaitng on the fly playlists, has a 2 pane explorer type interface.
    11. Plays Mohum Games, and the 3D ones are actually not half bad for passing the time on a train/bus/wherever..
    12. Is small (Ipod 4th gen size, maybe slightly smaller)
    13. Is robust metal cased.
    14. Has Line In recording of Audio and a built in Mic.
    15. is only £200
    16. Drives E2C's and Sony MDREX71's very well, bass is excellent.
    17. Shows Album Art

Battery life seems OK, 10Hours minimum with VBR MP3's and 5 hours of video.. but I must admit I've just bought a 2200mAH battery (From 1st gen IPOD funnilty enough), you need to open the case, but all tools are supplied, and it should give at leat 15-20 hours music, and 7 hours of video...

I do find people are very quick to dismiss it, although once they used one, they love it.. the 4th gen Ipod owner and Zen touch owners both said they'd recommend it to anyone looking for a 20Gb DAP at the moment..

14. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ipod 60gb photo and chose after much thought and testing because

in order of priority

-its capacity as i like all my music in either lossless of 320 kb vbr
    -its user interface which is so smooth
    -its ability to read different types of files other than AAC
    -its product support for accessories
    -its ability to store photos and other files
    -its adequate sound quality (not good, not bad, but good enough)
    -its ease of use with itunes
    -its look and feel
    -product brand

15. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    I have an Iriver 140. I use it because

It was a gift
    It stores about half my CD collection on 192kb WMA's at any one time- 603 as of this morning.
    Not complicated
    It was a gift
    Suprisingly strong
    Sounds alright through a pair of Shure E2C's
    It was a gift
    Remote has a display which makes it easy to select stuff without actually having to get the unit out.
    Battery life isn't too bad
    It was a gift.

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Seeing what transpired in the other thread, I figured you were an iRiver owner ;)

17. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Having done precisely no comparison work on DAP's, am I to assume that the '140 is atypical in its operation? I like things simple me hence why I'm also an Electrocompaniet and Audio Note owner. Two units, 6 major controls, bliss :).

18. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony hd3. i chose it cos of the size, battery life, capacity and price (only £130!)

19. Brit Rocker

Brit Rocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own an iRiver iFP-899. Good sound quality, decent battery life (especially as it takes AA's - 4 rechargables last a long time) and a decent user interface. Personally I hated the click wheel on the mini ipod so no poking me with that one.

I bought it because the size, apparent sound quality (bought online), multiple format playback and it wasn't white and it hasn't disappointed so far.

I was thinking of upgrading to an iRiver iHP-120 but don't have the funds.

20. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, sounds pretty good. Wow, looked at the site, thats awsome. Can you like rip DVDs or anything and play them?

21. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

It was the 'I'm an expert and why doesn't this ***** work' tone. Ever old-style iRiver fan seems to be an ubergeek very sure of his tech credentials :devil:

I like to try a lot, make an effort to actually get my head around things and pick what works for me. Apple + MOTU, Asus + RME, Sony, Harmonix-Combak, Mark Levinson, Musical Fidelity, Naim and dCS comprise the fixed sources I use.

22. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I got a HD3 'cos I couldn't resist a player that was so small and came in jet black

But trust me - never again. From now on I will properly research a purchase. Thats why I'm spending £300 on a PSP and stuff for it. Why isn't there a 'sigh' smilie?

23. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you rip them to a DIVX 4 or 5, or XVID Avi file, which is the popular standard, then yes.. it can't decode mpeg2 VOB's as per a file ripped DVD.. which considering a DVD takes 5-8Gb's of space, you really need to encode them to DivX or similar anyway..

For storage space, I encode my DVD's to 720*480 XVids with VBR MP3, and play these on my Gmini 402 and my Xbox with Xbox media centre, absolutely superb..

I've got 8 series of the Simpsons, 4 of Futurama, with various other TV Episodes, and still got plenty of space for 800 Music tracks..

24. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats awesome, so 720x480 is the max resolution? So how good is it at playing music? Is the sound quality on par with the HD5 or equiv? Are there EQ settings and stuff like a normal DAP?

Can you output the picture and sound to a TV? Will it be better on the tv or will is go blurry?

This thing sounds great, I might get one and sell my HD5.

25. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sound quality is always in the ears of the beholder..

I use Sony MDREX71's and I can adjust the player to suit my tastes...

I really really like the typical Sony Sound, I've had several minidisc players over the years, and always opted for Sony..

With my work colleagues, we've swapped out daps for a morning, a Zen TOuch and 4th Gen Ipod, and after a few hours all agreed they sound too similar to make a real judgement.. of course for the initial few minutes, each sounds 'different' to th eother, and it's easy to claim its therefore 'worse', but after listengin for a few hours then swapping back to your normal DAP, you soon realise how good they all are..

You can adjust Bass/Treble and there is a very good Bass Boost, and this is all you need.. it produces a clean powerful sound..

Its TV out is actually OK, full frame 20fps video is more then watchable, although it is only composite video, its fine even on a 51" TV..

26. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats the trouble, i dont want to go backwards in SQ. Ill have to disagree, I dont find them all the same even after listening to them for ages. I borrowed a few of my friends DAPs and some like the zen and ipod sounded terrible, mostly distorting with lack of bass, one was actually quite noticably better, and comparable to my own HD5, which has less bass than a minidisk but better treble.
    As long as there is lots of undistorted bass and the treble is not muffled, it should generally be fine for me.

I see its only composite, I find that terrible on my 50" Plasma, svideo is much better and component it excellent. But for a DAP i suppose it should be adequate considering. Can it slideshow normal photos? does that look good on the tv?

Can it zoom up on photos shown on the unit? The ipod can't as far as im aware and i think its a waste of time because of that. My digital camera can zoom when viewing the pic which is necessary to be worth looking at.

thanks for your help btw

27. Taylorg

Taylorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a IT professional & I purchased an ipod 60GB that I use to listen to music while on my way to and from work.

I also use the ipod as a USB hard drive to backup data when I need to rebuild customers PC's.

Grant

28. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, cool, just hope its reliable enough to use with customers data.

29. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good job this isn't Alcoholics Annonymous, cause my next comment would offend I think.....

I LOVE ALCOHOL, AND I'M A STUDENT, SO IT LOVES ME!!!!!

Right, now I got the important part outta the way, what was the thread again? Shaddow not being hugged as a kid... don't worry, I'm sure everyone here can help u out with that!!! (You may wanna keep your back to the wall, lol!!!)

Right, DAP. I owned (well, still own) an Archos FM recorder, bit old, bit big, but one robust little begga. I've dropped it a few times, and it just toddles on like an England Prop.

However, cause of the size, I've decided to now use this as a dictaphone (20GB dictaphone!?!?) and I've now bought an Archos GMINI 200!

Why???

Well, its small, 20GB, and after the service of my other Archos, I was impressed with Archos as a company!

THe fact that I got it for £80 had nothing to do with it, (yeah right). But even at £150, its still a bargin imho. Especially when a 6GB IPOD is about the same price!!

I know people are bound to disagree, but personal preference is everything!!!

30. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    I bought my 40 GB iPod because I needed the highest capacity possible (this was the biggest at the time) and I was already a big user of iTunes so went for the iPod over any of the others. I don't wear mine whilst walking in the street so it's used mainly in the house via the line-out into my Denon AV3805 AV amp. I also use it oustide in the garden whilst reading, and when staying away in hotels I use it a lot.