Your Childs first joint...

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27989

I'm a liberal, and I have liberal parents. My first joint was from my parents. I didn't grow up to be a junkie. My wife has got a much more conservative (church) upbringing, but is also very liberal.

Anyway, we discussed soft drugs and it is no different to us than alcohol use. But of course in the UK it is illegal. Our eldest is nearly 17 now, we've always allowed our children a glass of wine, and a beer. In our mind we've normalised it, and now at parties etc she is really not fussed about drinking, especially not when she sees others get absolutely hammered. We'd like to think it was because it was never a taboo or forbidden.

Anyway, we are off house hunting in Amsterdam and we discussed the subject knowing that that time of experimentation is coming. So whilst my wife is taking our youngest for her DJ/Producing classes I was going to go horse riding with our eldest, and then there after take her for a 'Pancake and a smoke' :)

I've only had the example of my parents, my wife of hers, and neither myself nor my friends had negative side effects.

I'd love to hear from other parents what they think, both for or against. It will be interesting to learn some of the reactions.

I'm a liberal, and I have liberal parents. My first joint was from my parents. I didn't grow up to be a junkie. My wife has got a much more conservative (church) upbringing, but is also very liberal.

Anyway, we discussed soft drugs and it is no different to us than alcohol use. But of course in the UK it is illegal. Our eldest is nearly 17 now, we've always allowed our children a glass of wine, and a beer. In our mind we've normalised it, and now at parties etc she is really not fussed about drinking, especially not when she sees others get absolutely hammered. We'd like to think it was because it was never a taboo or forbidden.

Anyway, we are off house hunting in Amsterdam and we discussed the subject knowing that that time of experimentation is coming. So whilst my wife is taking our youngest for her DJ/Producing classes I was going to go horse riding with our eldest, and then there after take her for a 'Pancake and a smoke' :)

I've only had the example of my parents, my wife of hers, and neither myself nor my friends had negative side effects.

I'd love to hear from other parents what they think, both for or against. It will be interesting to learn some of the reactions.

I don't know if she already smokes cigarettes but if she doesn't, I'd suggest NOT encouraging her to smoke a joint, get her some hash cake instead. Joints were a gateway drug for a cigarette addiction for SWIM.

Last edited:
I don't know if she already smokes cigarettes but if she doesn't, I'd suggest NOT encouraging her to smoke a joint, get her some hash cake instead. Joints were a gateway drug for a cigarette addiction for me.

Bit of a vape would be the way forward eating weed for a first time trying it would be pretty intense I reckon.

Ther are plenty of coffee shops in dam that have vapes you can use.

Yup good point. She has no interest in a cigarette and smoking. Although I think for that it is still the best way :)

I'm imagining a vape is a similar effect as to how I used toilet rolls in the past.

I've never had cake myself, so will be a first as well.

Last edited:
First off, never let your hobby become a habit...

Having worked in the touring industry for 20+ years, I saw plenty of drugs floating around, but always decided to stay clean. I'm afraid I saw too many things go wrong with heavy users, ranging from near fatal O/Ds to long term mood and personality changes.

The odd puff or brownie probably isn't going to hurt anybody, but I would not classify dope in the same category as alcohol. There's some really nasty stuff out there and the danger is when you graduate onto Skunk or synthetics.

My eldest daughter is 18 and away at university. There's plenty of drug taking and laughing gas doing the rounds and she enjoys clubbing and a drink, but she (claims to) stays clean. I think one of her flat mates being rushed to hospital with chest pains after going long on the gas made her realise that drugs can be dangerous and to be honest, she's something of a control freak in any case!

I personally would not normalise drug taking. Like yourselves, we allowed our kids a glass of wine or cider with a meal, but sharing a spliff after tea? Sorry, we're not quite that liberal LOL!

Please note in purely talking about soft drugs. I’ve never touched anything else and wouldn’t advocate it any other way. Let there be no mistake about it.

My experience is that in too many cases, one leads to another. The same dealers are normally selling harder stuff as well and will give away free "samples" of harder and harder drugs to catch out the unwary - or just plain unhappy...

My experience is that in too many cases, one leads to another. The same dealers are normally selling harder stuff as well and will give away free "samples" of harder and harder drugs to catch out the unwary - or just plain unhappy...
I think you are mixing in UK experiences or other countries where it is illegal. I would never ever trust anything you can buy illegally.

You mention Amsterdam. The "official" info is here: What are the drug laws in the Netherlands

And to be fair, they only tolerate very small amounts of cannabis and even then for 18+ only. If you are taking her at the age of 16/17, then it's still illegal.

As I said in my first post, the odd puff probably won't do any harm, but personally I would still not be encouraging my kids to try it.

I would wait until you are back home rather than introducing it in the UK.

Personally, found drugs to be overrated. Vastly overrated. But as with anything else, remove the forbidden aspect, and then the appeal will be reduced.

Can't offer any advice as a parent, but I can say I smoked cigarettes way before I smoked weed, and I've several friends that enjoy smoking weed but wouldn't even entertain the idea of smoking cigarettes.

I also agree that a hash cake/cookie/brownie/whatever method of eating isn't probably the best idea for a first exposure to it. It can be quite intense.

Never smoked anything ever in my life (not even a puff to try) so would be set against this myself as a parent, just the sight/smell of it puts me right off.

the policy in our house is if you smoke it i don't want to see it
my wife and i don't use it, my wife will have a drink on occasions but i am tea total but we both smoke

that being said most people i know do smoke weed and have done from teenage without progressing on to harder drugs and i have no problem with it it's a personal choice i do not use it and if possible i would prefer my siblings no to start using it but the reality is they get to an age and if they want to there's nothing i can do apart from asking them not to smoke it in front of me. What they do in their own homes ( eldest is mid 30's ) is none of my business but while they are still under my roof that's the rules

more concerning for me with being a smoker is trying to persuade the mid teenagers of the house not to smoke, it's not easy when they see you smoking and believe me i am trying to give up but after a 40 year habit it's not easy

I don't drink alcohol, but I have two young girls who I will be positively discouraging from smoking of any kind. I started smoking cigarettes at 17, then onto cannabis at 19 and it became an addiction.

Apart from the financial implications, I suffered terrible anxiety and panic attacks for years and I firmly believe it was due to the drugs.

Still on medication even now, and I'm almost 45.. Been on the meds for over 20 years. Surr
I'm an extreme example of drug taking and mental long-term side effects,, but with my girls and genetic inheritance, I'm not taking any chances.

Personally, found drugs to be overrated. Vastly overrated. But as with anything else, remove the forbidden aspect, and then the appeal will be reduced.

yes, it seems that most youngsters don't find smoking weed 'cool' and most don't seem to as a result..

I didn’t continue with it either. I found them expensive cigarettes, didn’t do much for me.

The reality is that they will try at some point. It’s also interesting to see that some keep on citing the progression to hard drugs. That is just not my experience, but don’t forget that as per the OP I’m not talking about the UK. The culture is very different out there regarding drink and hard drugs. Getting shit faced is not the done thing for example.

Anyway, she was not interested which is cool. Likely, understanding a little of teenagers reverse psychology, because it is a topic that can be discussed, we don’t ban it, and I said sure we can go there.

The other part perhaps because when going to the Melkweg all you have to do is walk in en inhale.

Ps. Melkweg is a famous music venue...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom