Your biggest surprise & disappointment in gaming

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Agree about Horizon Dawn - could not get into that at all.
I have a bunch of friends who got really pissy with it too but it's like my favourite PS4 exclusive.

I think I even prefer it to Spider-man (I'm now expecting the ghosts of Steve Ditko and Stan Lee to show up to revoke my Spidey fan-club membership.)

Prey - came across this recently on Gamepass. Not sure how i missed it first time round as it is right up my street. Very good game with Bioshock elements and loads of different ways to play it.
Good shout! That surprised me too. Super fun.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Biggest disappointment has been Elder Scrolls Online by a country mile.

Oblivion & Skyrim are 2 of my all time favourite games so I looked forward to ESO coming out.

The problem was that it was just too busy. The magic of the single players games is that the entire world makes you feel like you're the first one to ever step foot there - but with ESO, you feel like youre late to the party and any loot has long since been picked clean.

To give Bethesda some credit - they went some way to fixing this with Fallout 76 - the servers limit players to 20, and the map is so big that you don't bump into other players all that often.

Dishonourable mention goes to Mariokart or any other racer with a "catchup" mechanic - makes having some sort of skill completely pointless.

Biggest Surprises - possibly Destiny. I've never quite got why Halo is so popular when its about as generic as a sci-fi shooter can possibly get, so Destiny being made by the same developer didnt fill me with much hope and I only bought it because the guys I was playing online with were all getting it, but as co-op games go - it about as good as any out there. (although being a single player isnt much fun!)

Miss Mandy

Biggest disappointment has been Elder Scrolls Online by a country mile.

Oblivion & Skyrim are 2 of my all time favourite games so I looked forward to ESO coming out.

The problem was that it was just too busy. The magic of the single players games is that the entire world makes you feel like you're the first one to ever step foot there - but with ESO, you feel like youre late to the party and any loot has long since been picked clean.

To give Bethesda some credit - they went some way to fixing this with Fallout 76 - the servers limit players to 20, and the map is so big that you don't bump into other players all that often.

Dishonourable mention goes to Mariokart or any other racer with a "catchup" mechanic - makes having some sort of skill completely pointless.

Biggest Surprises - possibly Destiny. I've never quite got why Halo is so popular when its about as generic as a sci-fi shooter can possibly get, so Destiny being made by the same developer didnt fill me with much hope and I only bought it because the guys I was playing online with were all getting it, but as co-op games go - it about as good as any out there. (although being a single player isnt much fun!)

I agree about ESO, but I have to say I was massively disappointed with Fallout 76 too. I have heard that F76 has had some improvements made so perhaps I should go back and give it another go.

You’re right that Destiny is a bit of a hidden gem. It’s a great game to play with friends, but I’ve also put a huge amount of hours into Destiny 2 playing it ‘single player’ and joining up with random strangers particularly for raids, strikes and gambit.

Miss Mandy

Better but not "good" and definitely not "fun."
I'd say cut your losses with that one.

Its disappointing that it’s not known for being fun, but I guess that’s subjective anyway.
I loved Fallout 3, 4, New Vegas and also Skyrim (I dread to think how many hundreds of hours I‘ve sunk into those four games over the years) so I really had high hopes for F76, but it just didn’t deliver. Appalachia just didn’t suck me in like the other games worlds have and there seemed to be lots of wandering around with very little reward for the time invested. In the other games you never knew what you were going to find whilst wandering.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I agree about ESO, but I have to say I was massively disappointed with Fallout 76 too. I have heard that F76 has had some improvements made so perhaps I should go back and give it another go.

You’re right that Destiny is a bit of a hidden gem. It’s a great game to play with friends, but I’ve also put a huge amount of hours into Destiny 2 playing it ‘single player’ and joining up with random strangers particularly for raids, strikes and gambit.
I didn't start playing F76 until the Wastelanders update and I understand the game was in a sorry state to begin with - but that update gave us NPC's so now the game doesn't play all that differently to Fallout 4 IMO, but it has a few mechanics to slow you down a bit - such as eating and drinking & having to pay for fast travel. The biggest thing I've found tricky is VATS - it doesnt really slow time anymore, so if youre packing a pistol and walk into a Deathclaw - you better start running!

Last edited:

Myrmidon

Novice Member
Dissapointments definitely has to be Witcher 3 for me. I considered buying it many times on the seasonal Steam sales and when I finally got it I found it boring, bland, and mechanically arduous. I can't fault the amount of work that has gone into it though. It is a well made and reasonably polished game.

Biggest surprise that I can think of off the top of my head is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. It got a lot of poor reviews but I was always a big fan of Symphony of the Night so I took the gamble and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't perfect and the modern world was quite boring compared to the castle gameplay, and it didn't quite have the freedom and depth of Symphony of the Night, but it was fun nonetheless.

FracturedVeil

Novice Member
I'm a huge fan of the franchise but trying to play Fallout 76 in the beginning with friends was a tough pill to swallow.

DJDave87

Biggest surprise was Massive Chalice... think i got it as an xbox freebie and then went on to spend weeks and weeks playing it.

Disappointment is Battlefields, always look at them and think they look great, i never get more than a few games in i just cant fit with the pace. Im proper hyped for 2042 looks ridiculously good but then ive thought that before. UFC 4 needs a dishonourable mention. Spent years waiting for it, hundreds of hours on 3 and ive done about 10 hours on 4.

JemCollector

Biggest disappointment for me was for me Fallout 4. I’d read a bunch of reviews and so bought a copy. I never buy games on release anyway so thankfully it didn’t amount to many wasted pounds. I played it for maybe two hours maximum before deleting it, ultimately giving my copy away. I couldn’t get any idea what to do, where to go or even what the point of it was.

Conversely, I took a total punt on Farming Simulator 19 for the Xbox one a year or so ago. I hadn’t read any reviews, instead I happened across it while browsing the Xbox store one day and thought I’d give it a go. For a while I was captivated by it and I’ve amassed hundreds of hours of playing time. It totally took me by surprise; I wanted something different from my normal games and thought that FS19 would do as a filler - it certainly became much more than that!

Caljo

Biggest surprise:
Eye of Judgment (PS3). It came bundled with the console otherwise I wouldn’t have been one bit interested.

Biggest disappointment:
Halo 5 (XB1). Guff.

Lezman

Next, Shadow of the Tomb raider, I loved the reboot and Rise so this should be up my street. It's just not that good, and I still can't explain why.

What you got?

Coming back to the opening post, I replayed Shadow of the Tomb Raider recently and was surprised that I really enjoyed it. How strange.

Great replies to this thread, made me think of Steamworld Dig 2. Bought it as a Friday Evening something-to-do, must have played through 5 times now, absolutely love it.

Great comment for Bioshock 2, I love the first one, love Infinite (despite many for some reason who now think it's rubbish a few years later) but 2 I just could not get into.

DeepPlot

Standard Member
Unfortunately I get dissappointed with most new MMORPGs. I really like the genre, but haven't touched it after Black Desert Online. It looks nice, but the community is just not it.

A game that surprised me was Pathfinder. I'm not a fan of this type of games, but a friend lured me in and it's actually on a sale too:
Buy cheap Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous cd key - lowest price
I can't tell what it is that makes this game different than others in the genre, but I just really enjoy it.

MartinH32

I think I may be the only human in existence who could not get into the Witcher 3.
I started it the first time thinking like "This is it, this is the game everyone loves! I can't wait to have a great time with this!" and my experience of it was... not that.

On paper that game is a checklist of all the stuff I like in a videogame but, yeah.

I might be a victim of overhype.
Also after laughing my buttocks off at the first Witcher game when it came out ( and I don't think that was their aim), it could be that it made me immune to the charm of any subsequent entries.
I’m with you Tom. Tried Witcher 3 several times and does nothing for me

MartinH32

Ditto. Thought I was the only one til I read this thread.

I have zero interest in Cyberpunk.
I tried that too lol. Sad because I like open world type RPG's

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom