1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your best gig ever?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by the_pauley, Jan 31, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Been chewing the fat with my mates over the weekend about concerts we'd been to over the years and wondered what really classic / special ones people can recall.

I'll get the ball rolling with my top 5 that left a lasting impression on me, three of them coincidentally in the same year.

In no particular order of preference:

Paul Mc Cartney - The Albert Docks, Liverpool, 1990

Almost three hours of a set containing 90% Beatles numbers, many of them being performed live for the first time ever. Probably the best band he's ever played with too (Beatles excepted, of course!). Highlight was his "little treat" for Liverpool, a Lennon medley of "Strawberry Fields Forever, Help and Give Peace A Chance"

Talk about lump in the throat time!

Frank Sinatra - London Palladium, 1975

A knockout gig. Doubly so considering the backing band was Count Basie & His Orchestra, guaranteeing that arse was kicked! The Basie Band opened up with a storming set, then they were joined by Sarah Vaughan for a set (my introduction to this great jazz diva) and then the great man himself. Encore was a series of duets with Vaughan. To make it perfect we had front row centre seats too! Sublime...

The Who - Charlton Athletic Football Club, 1975 (I think).

Was blown away by the sheer power of this set, with Moony in his prime. "Probably the best rock 'n' roll band in the world" I thought at the time...

Midsummer Music, Wembley Stadium, 1975

From the bottom up, the bill was Stackridge (who?), Rufus with Chaka Khan, Joe Walsh, The Eagles, The Beach Boys and Elton John. As anyone who was there will tell you it was the day that The Beach Boys wiped the floor with all concerned with a twelve piece backing band and every hit they ever had and a few surprise album tracks too ("Surf's Up" live, would you believe? :eek: ). Doubly glad I was there, as over the years the band has often stated that this was the best single gig they ever played. Best way to see this band too - outdoors in baking summer heat.

Other highlight of the day? Having my picture taken by George Harrison!

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Joni Mitchell, The Band - Wembley Stadium 1974

The Band were awesome, delivering a powerhouse set - effortless, virtually perfect musicianship. CSNY did a marathon set including band stuff and solo material (LOADS from Young! :thumbsup: ). But the highlight of the day was Joni Mitchell.

I remember jaws dropping in surprise as she walked on stage. Previously a Joni Mitchell gig consisted of her solo on guitar and piano. Not only did she walk on stage with a huge jazz/rock combo (Tom Scott and the LA Express) but with a whole new look too. Gone was lank-haired hippy Joni in came sophisticated LA chick Joni, complete with electric guitar too. Did all of the then-new "Court & Spark" album and radically revamped versions of her back catalogue.

Liked her before that - loved her ever since.

And during her set I smoked my first ever joint too! Like, mellow man! :cool:

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,347
    Wow, some great gigs there. You went to some before I was even born!

I must have missed out somewhere in my life as I have not yet been to a gig/concert etc. Not through lack of wanting to go, probably things have happened preventing me from going etc. But I still have lots of time (hopefully!)

If REM happened to do a gig near me, that would probably be my first one to go for.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Thanks Greg - you've just made me feel about a thousand years old!

Saw REM a few years back with Radiohead as support - highly recommended as a live act (both of 'em)! :thumbsup:

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,347
    Always liked REM since my bro was playing their music in his student house years ago and I happened to like it.

Didn't mean to make you feel too old!

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pauley

Great gigs there :thumbsup:

The Who - Celtic Park, Glasgow 1975 - My first concert SAHB were good too

Paul McCartney & Wings - Apollo, Glasgow 1975 - First Macca concert

David Bowie - Apollo, Glasgow 1978 - The Stage tour! Can't wait for the DVD-A

Police - Apollo, Glasgow 1978 - Hardly anyone there but great

Stranglers - Apollo, Glasgow - Nice 'n' Sleazy does it! :smashin:

Macca & Wings - Apollo, Glasgow 1979 - I'm on Coming Up, US No.1 :laugh:

Yes - Apollo, Glasgow 1980 - With the Buggles replacing Anderson & Wakeman

Rush - Apollo, Glasgow - 1982 - The Exit Stage Left tour, I'm on that too!

U2 - Strahclyde University 1982/3 - Adam and his perm :eek:

Stones - Apollo, Glasgow 1983

Macca - Glasgow SECC 1990 - Two days before your gig Pauley, except we got Mull of Kintyre :eek:

Boo Hewerdine - King Tut's Glasgow - One Britain's finest

Bob Dylan - Glasgow SECC 2001 - Pretty crap really but at least I saw him. Too many old hippies smokin dope :nono: :boring: :thumbsdow

The Who - Glasgow SECC 2001 - Best gig EVER :clap: With Zak on drums

Marillion - Barrowlands, Glasgow 2004 - Best gig they've ever done

Really miss the Apollo :(

6. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    OK.

Here's my 5 of the top of my head...........(and thus subject to change :) )

1 - The Stone Roses - Sheffield Arena, 1995.
    Even without Reni, it was amazing. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff, and I'm just glad I saw them whilst I had the chance.

2 - Ian Brown - Leeds Uni - 2004.
    See a pattern developing here ? The crowd reaction when the first few bars of Sally Cinnamon started was like nothing I've ever been part of.......

3 - The Wonderstuff - Leeds T&C - 1994.
    Played for about two and a half hours, and did just about every song you could have possibly wished for. God bless 'em !

4 - Radiohead - Bridlington Spa - 1997 (I think.......)
    The OK Computer tour. Bridlington taken over for the day by a load of Radiohead fans, and then a fanstastic gig to top it off. Memorable !

5 - Happy Mondays - Leeds T&C - 1999 (again, I think......)
    Last ever gig at Leeds T&C before they turned it into a nightclub. :mad:
    The fact that it was by one of my favourite ever bands made it a bit easier to take........

Apologies if the years are slightly out - I'll have the ticket stubs somewhere, but can't be bothered digging them out !

Ian.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Here are a few I remember as memorable.

Crowded House at King Tuts Wah Wah Hut. Must have been around 92. Just when Woodface came out. Before they went mega. Which is why they were plahyign such a small venue. Neil Finn came out and said "Guess you are wondering where Tim is?, Well I fired him and he's on a Plane home just now!" So the keyboard roadie came on and played Tim's parts. It was fantastic. Lots of banter and instument swapping and a very intimate atmosphere.

Rush: Glasgow SECC Hold your Fire tour; Really wasn't looking forward to this. I like Rush but was not in the mood for a night of that sort of music. Went with one of my older brothers and it was amazing. 10 rows from front jumping around constantly for two hours singing along and punching the air......really sook me out of my apathy. Loved it.

It Bites: Glasgow Mayfair BALLROOM probably around 89? It was the Once Around The World tour. I was in the front row. Jumped and danced like a loonie for wo hours...the screw fell out the leg of my glasses but I found it after everyone had left!. My mate ended up chatting up and going out with Francis Dunnery's sister who ran the fan club...he missed most of the concert as he was away flirting wiith her!

Francis Dunnery: Every concert he has done in Glasgow that I've been to. He's a funny guy and with great songs and a bg talent. Even took along a doubting chum who came away saying that although the wasn't that much a fan of the CD's he thought he was astounding live......and he is.

Buffy Saint Marie Hammersmith Apollo around 93? Again wasn't too keen on seeing this but loved the LP she released around that time. It was another one of those moments where you are glad to be alive and glad you went. She was superb. Amazing voice, amazing songs...it was a weirdly emotional performance. I was charmed.

Dan Reed Network: The Garage Glasgow 90ish If you have ever seen DNR in concert you'll know they are special live.

LAST but not least.....

DIO Edinburgh Apollo around 87? Third row of the stalls. Deaf for two days....not kidding....never would believe a wee dwarfy bloke like that could make so much noise.....

G

lots more....want to go on about Yes, Dave Lee Roth, Shawn Colvin and Aimee Mann...perhaps I will in another thread.

8. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    1. Bruce Springsteen - Sheffield 1988 - Stunning 3+ hr show They call him The Boss for a reason !

2. Bruce Springsteen - Dublin 1993 - he guested at a Joe Ely show in a very small club
    brilliant - he was just so relaxed and enjoying it

3. Bruce Springsteen - Stone Pony 1995 - Touring with Joe Grushkey(!) - seeing the boss on the Jersey shore a dream come true.

4. Counting Crows - Manchester Apollo 1999 - It's like being a member of a secret club going to one of their shows.

5. Drive By Truckers - Manchester Hop and Grape - I emailed the tour manager and then they came to Manchester and did a just under 3 hours in front of about 80 people brilliant good old southern boys

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Gordon

Forgot about Crowded House! I was there too and it was fantastic. You're right it was just before Woodface made it big although it had been out for a few months. I'm sure it was Weather With You that done the trick. A few months later they played the Concert Hall to thousands

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Yeah Kenny I saw then at Hammersmith on the next album tour and it was good but nothing like the intensity of that night. In Tuts you knew you were witnessing somethign pretty astounding.

God just remembering other classic Tut concerts....Big Dish, Del Amitri......Shawn Colvin...Francis Dunnery.......it's a great great venue!

11. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not been to to many gigs, but the ones that do stand out are ....

QUEEN - At the Apollo Manchester in 1979 - Brilliant. :thumbsup:

Bryan Adams - MEN Arena Manchester 2001 I think.

Meat Loaf - MEN Arena Manchester 2000 ish.

Also around 2000 I went to see The Beautiful South who were quite poor, but their support group were the Bare Naked Ladies and they were pretty impressive. These groups should have been the other way around with the BNL being the main act.

Later this year I have tickets for Queen at the MEN Arena in May and Elton John at the Reebok Stadium in June.

12. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not been to many gigs but

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Millenuim Stadium Cardiff 2004 ~ amazing gig they had the father of soul james Brown supporting, not my cup of tea but he got the crowd warmed up. Worth every penny it cost me to see but the journey down to cardiff was painful and long due to bad weather they closed one bridge so it took ages and the worst thing was when we got into Cardiff there was not 1 sign for the Millenium Stadium.

Will go and see them next time they play in the UK

Stereophonics - MEN Manchester May/June 2004? ~ Don't get me wrong I like the Stereophonics but I was not bothered going to see them live but a friend had a spare ticket, am glad I went as they are very good live.

Ocean Colour Scene - Sheffield 2004 ~ Great intimate gig in the Leadmill club with only about 200 people and got to get right by the stage, I was suprised the acts that they have playing there even though OCS have not released much lately it was well worth the £19 to see

Oasis - July 2005 ~ Cannot wait to go and see Oasis and hear the new material that they have been working on and some of the old stuff

13. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    agreed, jan 2003 in wembely arena was amazing

also have to add -

Embrace either one of manchester academy 2001, brixton academy 2002 or preston mill 2004, they were all pretty special

fun loving criminals blackpool either 97 or 98 absolutely amazing my first gig, i was 15 and we got ****faced all day in blackpool then went to the gig, brilliant

RBF and goldfinger manc academy 2004- great fun apart from missing half of RBF cuz of the train :(

littlest man band liverpool academy3 2004 - brillaint an audience of about 15 people but really good fun

im really looking forward to the resceduled one man and his piano ben folds tour, ive been looking forwards to this for 14 months already, when i finally get to see him im sure it will be absolutely amazing

14. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben Folds is excellent live. Never saw BF5 but saw his first solo UK gig (with full band) in Edinburgh in 2001 before Rockin' The Suburbs came out. Then saw him supporting The Divine Comedy in 2002 and although the crowd seemed to be equally familiar with TDC and BF, Ben and his piano easily worked the audience better and got a much more audible reaction than The Divine Comedy (apart from when he came out to do the encores with them).

15. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,177
    Best ever gig was also my first, Rush at the Bingley Hall Stafford back in 79, seen them every tour since, my most favorite group.

Jethro Tull in 82 headlining the Nostell Priory Festival, which just happened to be a couple of mile down the road from me, support acts included Marillion, remember that gig primarilly for the fact that Fish stepped out into the crowd held aloft by adoring fan (I wasn’t one of em) and the **** stood on my head. :mad:

Iron Maiden in 82 at the Sheffield City Hall, Number Of The Beast Tour, I was up in the balcony and you could feel it vibrate as the crowd were going wild jumping up and down. :eek:

The 80's were certainly the golden years for me as far as going to concerts were concerned, seen pretty much every rock outfit from AC/DC through to ZZTop, with the likes of Howard Jones and Nick Kershaw thrown in for good measure, well I had to look after my little sister :D

16. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Faith No More 89/90 Cardiff University, Real Thing tour
    Rush, NEC Roll the bones tour - Primus in support, 2 of the best 3 pieces around !
    Green Day, Iggy Pop & James Brown @ V80 Leeds
    Marillion - NEC 87? Clutching at straws
    Pink Ployd - Earls Court (Division Bell tour)
    Iron Maiden - NEC - 7th son tour
    Metallica - NEC Smell the Glove tour (Diamondhead special guests)
    Jethro Tull - NEC (Rock Isalnd? tour)

worst gig ?
    without a shadow of doubt, The Cult - NEC Forum Electric tour '87
    runner up - Living Colour - Times up tour (91?) (somewhere in Cardiff)

biggest regret ?
    missing Tool at Brixton Academy.

17. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    who the hell did I forget !

AC/DC at the MEN Arena on the Stiff Upper Lip Tour - FIRE !!! :clap: :clap: :smashin:

&

Bruce Springsteen - Meadowlands Opening night of the 1992 USA tour

18. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    So you were the one!! Went to the same gig. The Tull were superb that day. Me and mates all thought Fish sounded like Pete gabriel - there were a lot of Genesis comparisons then!!

1980 - 1st gig. Genesis at the Manchester Apollo. Went to see them on following 2 tours in 81 and 82/83 (I think they were). Fantastic live band.

1980: Motorhead at King Georges Hall Blackburn. Awesome. My brother's mate stuck hie head in one of the bass bins. Silly sausage.

1985: Bob Hope (yes THE Bob Hope). Nottingham. Possibly his last tour. Absolutely hilarious.

About 1989: The Cult at Manchester Apollo. Really tight, kick ass rock n roll. Ditto AC/DC around the same time in London. Wembley or Earls Court I think.

Early 90s: Pink Floyd at the Man City football ground. fantastic greatest hits show.

Oh and Page & Plant on their last tour. Managed to bag freebie tickets from Radio Piccadilly in Manchester as it was too uncool for the staff there. :suicide:

Must get out and see some more now I can take my kids to gigs.

BTW people I wish I'd seen:

Led Zep
    Rolling Stones
    Rush
    Yes
    Bowie before he was less good.

Chris

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    Prodigy Moscow '97 Still probably the most visceral experience of my life thus far, I've seen them in the UK as well but this was astonishing. Loud acts benefit from several thousand screaming russians it seems.

20. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    1996...Steely Dan at Wembley...always wanted to see them,and wasn't disappointed....consummate musicianship.

2003...Fleetwood Mac....getting a bit creaky,but still able to fill the venues to capacity,and Lindsay Buckingham was superb.

Going back a bit...Pink Floyd Animals tour....still one of the loudest things I've heard,as me and all my friends couldnt hear the tube trains properly afterwards!

21. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Gordon

Shawn Colvin and the big Dish :eek: Wish I'd saw them! Have you heard Stephen Lindsay's new album Exit Music?

I suppose that you didn't have far to travel from work to Tut's..... :rotfl:

22. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Various rock festivals

Remember fondly

Slade, Whitesnake then AC/DC

Thin Lizzy last concert

Gary Moore

Scorpions

Van Halen blowing AC/DC off stage :thumbsup: :clap:

Saxon

Gillan

Ozzy Osbourne at his peak

23. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bath Festival 1970/Isle of Wight 1970,closley followed by Bruce Spingsteen at the RDS in Dublin! then U2 at the same venue !

24. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    LIVE AID

no question,even though I have bee to hundreds of gigs this was the most memorable :clap:

25. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Muse at the nottingham arena in 2003, one word........awesome!!!

26. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Leftfield, Liveism tour, Brixton Academy, 1996 - The loudest, deepest, scariest bass I've ever heard. Loud enough to blur your vision - not only could you see the air moving (a good argument for smoking in public places :)), but the plaster was falling from the ceiling. Talk about bringing the roof down. I can only assume Health & Safety were on their summer holidays at the time.

Bjork with the Brodsky Quartet, Union Chapel, 1999 - Just Bjork, the quartet (four strings), and the acoustics of the chapel. No amps or speakers. Just a fantastic sound and experience. If I could go to just one gig again, this would be it.

27. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    1. Foo Fighters - Reading '95. First UK appearance for the Foo's (i think), we had to get into the tent 3 hours before they were on to wait for them (consequently had to watch some right tosh), and it was worth the wait and the crush !

2. Beta Band - a bar in Wolverhampton's civic - tiny venue, fantastic live act

3. Rocket from the crypt - cant remember where - rock and roll baby :D

An alternative answer, the LOUDEST gigs i have been to:

1. Therapy - Wolverhampton Civic hall - the loudest thing i have ever heard
    2. Queens of the Stone Age - Birmingham Academy - 2nd loudest thing

Stu

28. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    The best one I went to (the one I remember most and enjoyed most) was probably one of the smallest. It was Ultravox at The Porterhouse in Retford - a very small venue but very initimate and loud. This was in the days before Midge Ure joined and the lead singer was John Foxx who gave a superb performance.
    I'm not sure of the year but it must have been about 1978.

29. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Queen - Maine Rd Manchester 86

Queen - Knebworth 86

Queen - Elland Rd, Leeds 82

Queen - NEC, Birmingham 80

Queen - NEC, Birmingham 84

Queen - Wembley Arena 84