Your advice please!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mk1911, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mk1911

mk1911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am new to the forum so I should start by saying hello and thanking you for all the advice that's already out there. I am thinking about buying my first projector and I have a couple of questions if any of you are kind enough to answer:

1) I plan to use it for the occasional movie with a non-HD DVD player, and probably some low-quality divx clips from my laptop. Would it make sense to buy a 720p projector or is 480p sufficient? Wouldn't the higher resolution make any imperfections in the quality of the clips worse?

2) I'm very tempted to buy the Optoma HD65 after what I read, but it costs a bit more than what I was planning to spend. Given the setting described above, would it be worth the extra cash? Can you suggest any good (and cheaper) alternatives in the 480p category?

Thanks!!

2. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    To be honest there are not many decent brand projectors that are less than £450 no matter what resolution you are looking for. The only real option for less of a budget is second hand, only problem with that is lamp life. Most projector lamp ours counters can be reset by the user. So an unscrupulous person could reset the hour counter on an almost dead lamp to read 0 hours then run it for 50 hrs or so and say 'Almost New, only 50hrs on projector'!!!

I havent got a HD65 but judging by the threads on here it is an excellent buy. I have an Epson TW10H (standard def) projector that I am on my second lamp (first lasted 3300hrs). I am using an 8ft screen and its wonderful, a projector is just so much better for that home cinema feel.

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I would go brand new, or at least a nearly new second hand purchase in the avforums clasifieds

The HD does seem a good piece of kit for the price, the only thing youneed to be aware of is the 'throw distance'.

If the throw distance was larger, I would invest in this beast myself.

Adrian

4. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If you are just wanting a brand new PJ then the HD65 would be the way to go. You'll get the warrenty and all that with it, and you know its a good PJ. I upgraded from my epson Pj (In my sig) to this PJ and love it, but then again, I do play 360 and PS3 so 720p was a requirement., (I do plan on upgrading again in a couple years to 1080p).

However, there was nothing wrong with my old PJ, and I am thinking of selling it to off-set the cost of the new one.

The throw distance on the optoma did worry me before the purchase though, but now I have it all set up in my room, I'm happy with the size of picture I've got. It certainly is big enough, obviously a little bigger wouldn't go amiss, but tbh, its probably about the perfect size for my room, so it doesn't matter.

If I were you, I'd get it, for 400 quid its a bargain. 720p, while you may not use it all just now, you possibly would in the future, so might aswell future proof yourself a little in the meantime, lol.

Good luck with your choice.