1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your advice please - which DVD Recorder to go for?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nicholas Ib, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Nicholas Ib

Nicholas Ib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello from a newbie to this forum,

I've recently upgraded my home cinema, thinking I'd upgrade my existing DVD player later - but with a lovely new Panasonic TH42PWD6 plasma screen and Yamaha DSPAX750 A/V amp and new speakers I've realised I can't bear to watch the rubbish output now from my very budget DVD player!

I've done my research and this is my criteria:

(1) I want a progressive scan machine
    (2) I want component output for the video
    (3) I will mainly use the DVD Recorder to back up programs on Sky+, so I want a machine which has a SCART input which uses the RGB not composite video.
    (4) I want a machine which is recommended for excellent playback of prerecorded DVDs (main use for machine still).
    (5) I expect the machine to output DTS as well as Dolby Digital.
    (6) I don't think I really need a HDD (being a gadget freak I'm sure I'd love it, but I seem to be more than happy with Sky+)
    (7) Recorded DVDs will only need to play back well on the machine that burnt them (I'm not in the habit of exchanging recorded DVDs with other people and I won't be playing them on other machines; I still think I'll mostly play pre-recorded ones)

Ideally I'd like to spend about £250, but am finding it hard to meet my criteria at this price point, so will consider paying more.

The sticking point seems to be the RGB SCART input - I liked the look of the Toshiba DR-1 till I found that the SCART input isn't RGB. It's hard to find out the facts about this for many of the machines out there (and bless them, the Richer Sounds staff will tell you anything they think you want to hear).

Can anyone suggest a purchase which meets my criteria and has made you happy? Does anyone have the Toshiba RDXS32 - It's a bit more than I was expecting to spend, but it seems to be coming down and looks like a contender? Is it?

Any thoughts would really be appreciated!

Regards,

Nick

2. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sony RDR-GX300, meets all your criteria except the price allthough you shouldn't have to pay more than £300.

I just got one after 2 years of nothing but trouble with a Philips DVDR 890 and am very pleased with it. Excellent picture quality as a DVD player btw.

Michael.

3. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba XS32 is a beaut machine but it does have a Hard drive.Mind you I believe that is a plus.

4. Nicholas Ib

Nicholas Ib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony looks good but doesn't seem to include progressive scan - it looks like you get a fair bit more with the Toshiba for a bit more money, but on the other hand do I need it?

What do other people think? The Toshiba certainly appears to be popular in these forums (and I'm quite keen on it now), but I don't want to limit myself if there are other machines to consider...

Thanks for your response,

Nick

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Nicholas Ib, you need to think about the HDD issue carefully. You need to ask do you want to make editted recordings that play in other DVD players?. If the answer is yes then you should buy a HDD/DVDR combo - some good examples are:
    - Panasonic E85
    - Toshiba RDXS32
    - Sony HX900
    All three meet ALL your requirements stated in the first post.

If you don't want editted recordings that play on other DVD players then take a look at:
    - Panasonic E55
    - Sony GX300
    The GX300 (as opposed to the GX3 it replaced) does have progressive scan and both meet all your requirements.

6. Nicholas Ib

Nicholas Ib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

Many thanks for your very helpful comments. I will do some research on the models you've suggested. I hope I can be helpful to other users in the way that you and others have been of great assistance to me!

As far as quality of video output goes (when playing pre-recorded DVDs) are all the players you mention of equal strength? Are there any noticeable frontrunners or weak machines? (I know that after a certain point all this becomes fairly arbitrary, but I still think it's worth taking note of others' experiences).

Nick

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    It's very subjective - and as I haven't had any of the new Sony range plugged into my Home Cinema yet I can't comment properly. The previous generation was Good.

Both the Panasonic and Toshiba models will also do a good job - IMHO the Toshiba is a little bit better with commercial DVDs. I can't really be more helpful than that as it is a very subjective issue.

8. stu_69

stu_69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    where is the cheapest best place to get the Toshiba RDXS32 from?

also is it multiregionable?
    Stu

9. daydreamer

daydreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few threads floating around mentioning prices, so suggest you search the forum and use kelkoo and pricerunner.

The main problem is finding any stock, it seems to be in short supply.

10. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The GX300 does have progressive scan. I considered going for an HDD recorder but decided I simply didn't need it. I don't record enough and if I needed to edit a recording to play on another machine I'd do it on my PC.

Michael.

11. Nicholas Ib

Nicholas Ib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. It's another case of requirements creep! I started off trying to be strict about budget and realistic about what I needed. But all of a sudden a HDD sounds kind of fun :), and several posters have given good reasons why combining one with a DVD Recorder makes it much more flexible.

That said, your email sounds like my situation - I'm pretty sure I'm not going to record with it that much, I just want to be able to free up Sky+ disk space and regularly archive stuff I want to keep.

Thanks for pressing the point about the Sony machine (and confirming about progressive scan) - it sounds like it's the only machine which is halfway between the +/- £250 recorders and the +/- £400 recorders in terms of features and value.

12. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi. I'm in danger of getting over excited as I've just seen a posting from "Rasczak" on another thread that Sony have got a new model - RDXS34 - coming out in March which seems to have all the goodies. Freeview Tuner, Firewire/ilink, Progressive scan,Hard Disc. dvd recording etc. etc.!!!!
    Sounds as though we might be getting somewhere at last.
    Any more details/info anyone? :clap:

13. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tosh I think, rather than Sony. ;)

If the only difference is the Freeview, then I'll go for a 32 (assuming I can find one) rather than wait 6 months for this.

14. Nicholas Ib

Nicholas Ib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I should write back and let people know my final decision. I came very close to deciding on the Sony GX300 and had started to look for the best deal when I read a couple of reviews from owners complaining that the fan was noticeably audible and constantly whirring.

I've been frustrated by noisy PCs in the past, and fan noise is always part of my selection criteria when getting a new computer - so it was useful to remember that the problem affects consumer electronics too.

The last thing I want is a great home cinema set-up ruined by fan sounds during the quiet moments in a film. I also felt bouyed along by the sheer volume of positive comments about the Toshiba RDX S32, and, you guessed it, I decided on the Toshiba. I went through RBG Direct, who had machines in stock (Richer Sounds' customer service line admitted that they are totally without any stocks for at least a few weeks).

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions and offered advice.

Nick

15. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Glad you made and choice and I hope you enjoy it. I just wanted to point out (for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this thread) that I can barely hear the fan of my GX300 if I'm right next to it and I certainly can't hear it from my sofa.

Michael.

16. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even though Im a tosh owner and dont have problems with my fan, there have been a few complaints about the fan on the tosh (see Im not a "fan" boy owner :laugh: ).

I hope this want the only deciion criteria!

17. Nicholas Ib

Nicholas Ib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the truth be told, the fan noise thing was something I told myself to justify buying the Toshiba because I wanted it rather than needed it. I can't help buying features I like the sound of rather than I need!

I do worry about fan noise, but the subsequent replies suggest that it's another 'in the eye (or ears) of the beholder' issue.

18. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It is indeed an "eye of the beholder" thing, and I love my Tosh, but the 'hum' when it is on is definitely louder than my Sky+ box, which it sits on top of. As it has an excellent RGB pass through that works in standby it is only switched on when it is in use, so the noise is not really a problem.