Young'uns and Digital Tech.

janmars

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking a bit about how digital technology is starting to affect people; particularly the younger generations. One trend that I have begun to notice is the idea of creating a "Digital Profile" of yourself - on MySpace and the like. It is strange to me, because I find that people obviously pick and choose what they put into these profiles - and then they sort of act out the character they have created.

It's sorta like "Role-Play" in a way...except on a cultural level.

What with people recording mundane stuff from their lives and posting it on YouTube, and then adding this to their MySpace profile - it is like creating a digital version of your life.

So - where will all this head in 10 or 15 years time? I admit I find it a bit perplexing, would be interested in a few other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Also, I wrote a bit on this here;

http://thethoughts.co.uk/thoughts/confessions-of-the-digital-age/

The only near-certain thing I feel is that the internet will become more integrated into our everyday lives as technology advances and we are able to use the internet to perform more and more tasks

I am 19 myself and my brother is 18. The youngest is 11 and even though me playing the strict older brother won't let him do too much, apparently he has learnt loads off the other one just watching him :rolleyes:

One word on the YouTube "video diaries". imo most are boring rubbish. Some are insightful or interesting. Some are funny. Some are only viewed because "she's" fit. One or two hit the goldmine of combining several of those traits

People often say 'what'll it be like in 10 years time?! EVERYONE WILL LIVE ON DA INTERNETS'. It's nonsense. :)

Many kids use MySpace, mostly responsibly like anyone else - it has reached its peak and is slowly plateauing in my opinion - FaceBook is seeminly the more 'responsible' version of MySpace (but older, strangely enough - to me anyway).

In ten years time, it'll be similar I guess, just something else may have replaced them or it may have evolved/combined with something else.

I can't see it lasting, can you imagine going for a job were if your prospective employer only had to google you to find out some of the rubbish people put on MySpace and its ilk?

The Internet is going to slowly lose its anonymity and that is going to kill a lot of these sorts of sites. They'll be replaced by virtual CVs that show how wonderful you are to all parties. It'll be an oppressive nightmare if you ask me.

I can't see it lasting, can you imagine going for a job were if your prospective employer only had to google you to find out some of the rubbish people put on MySpace and its ilk?

The Internet is going to slowly lose its anonymity and that is going to kill a lot of these sorts of sites. They'll be replaced by virtual CVs that show how wonderful you are to all parties. It'll be an oppressive nightmare if you ask me.

Apparently some employers already do this for graduates on facebook, look at their notes, silly comments, photos etc

Apparently some employers already do this for graduates on facebook, look at their notes, silly comments, photos etc

my mrs is starting a graduate job soon and she is very aware of this one of her bosses is on her friends list which means she can see everything someone posts about her.

I dont see anything wrong with it myself. After all if its published on the internet you loose the right to privacy somewhat:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom