YouFibre FTTP Gigabit Broadband - any one use this?

Youfibre are advertising there coming to my town shortly. Im currently with VM (100mb) & for the same price i can get 1000mb.
I would like the Youfibre modem in the same location as my current VM router which is out of sight.

Techie question>
When they run the fibre to the house, is that part then terminated outside then Cat6 up to the modem or is it fibre optic direct to the modem ?
Also, im currently using the Asus RT-AX88U WIFI6 router with VM, i assume i can continue using that instead of there EEro6 router ?

Youfibre are advertising there coming to my town shortly. Im currently with VM (100mb) & for the same price i can get 1000mb.
I would like the Youfibre modem in the same location as my current VM router which is out of sight.
That should be no problem I think!
Techie question>
When they run the fibre to the house, is that part then terminated outside then Cat6 up to the modem or is it fibre optic direct to the modem ?
Also, im currently using the Asus RT-AX88U WIFI6 router with VM, i assume i can continue using that instead of there EEro6 router ?
Not sure if it is fibre optic direct to the modem. It is a tiny blue cable?

Yes your router will be fine as they installed YouFibre with my QNAP router.

Hope it goes smoothly for you!

The fibre comes to the property and to the place you want the fibre to end. It is terminated in a box on a wall and you plug an Ethernet cable
In that and plug that into a router. No modem is required - you need a WAN socket on your modem/router if you have one already and want to use it.

The box is called an ONT - Optical Network Unit (yeh I know it doesn’t match - I think the T may be Terminal or termination or maybe the T of unit.........but it doesn’t matter :) ).

There is also a socket for a VOIP phone service if your providers over there provide it via that data stream. Here in Australia very few do that preferring to simply use the data and an external ATA or IP phone. Not sure over there

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it's high up google - apologies if there is a another thread everyone is using?

I'm in the sticks a few miles west of Durham and seen a few people raving abut YF in the village, initially I thought it was some dodgy scam like those "free solar panel" ads you get on FB but it appears legit.
500/1000Gbps is of course an absolute marvel for anyone in a rural area - regular FTTC ~40Gbps is the best I can get currently, which is partly why I was cynical as it seems too good to be true.

My address is on their "coming soon" list and I am a bit dubious, as we have a private overhead line coming 100m up a private lane to the house - the telegraph pole at the road then goes into the normal underground ducts to the nearest green cabinet. I'm trying to get more definitive information without having to sign up but maybe someone here can advise on a few points...

1. When they say FTTP do they really mean literally into your house, a totally separate wire to the BT one, or will they still piggyback the very last few metres of copper?
  2. Seems they provide their own router and even offer their own mesh WiFi but I have my own setup; I'm assuming the only thing I need to use is their 'modem' since mine (probably) doesn't support FTTP.
  3. Can I keep my old service in parallel? I rely on home internet for my job 100% so every hour I might lose it, is more than the monthly cost of the service. I'd therefore want to have a backup for at least the first few months. Knowing I can bail and not find they've taken away my ability to return to BT/Plusnet later is also a bonus.
If there's any more reviews since the last post in April, please do share your experiences.

1) Literally into your own home, otherwise you have lost the advantage of fibre. They will have to run the cable up the private road in a duct. That should be covered under your access rights hopefully.
2) The termination point on FTTP will have an ethernet connection, you need a modem with a WAN connection to. If you use their's and can't disable their modem you end up with double natting issues.
3) Yes you should be able to. Just request a new connection and don't ask for any porting of telephone number. You can get also get a router that has two connections and fails over automatically in the case of an issue with either.

Thanks @ChuckMountain I hadn't realised it terminated to ethernet... my own modem/router (bought to replace the free one you get) has WAN so presumably I can plug right into the back of it and go. I have no idea if it supports failover between two providers but realistically, swapping a cable is ok and if anything, will tell me how often I get any issues!

I'm somewhat dubious they will want to put a dedicated line 100m that will only ever serve 1 house... They're never going to get their money back! Which is why I want a definitive answer from them that they have actually understood. I wondered if they had any special tricks for such cases.

Thanks @ChuckMountain I hadn't realised it terminated to ethernet... my own modem/router (bought to replace the free one you get) has WAN so presumably I can plug right into the back of it and go. I have no idea if it supports failover between two providers but realistically, swapping a cable is ok and if anything, will tell me how often I get any issues!

I'm somewhat dubious they will want to put a dedicated line 100m that will only ever serve 1 house... They're never going to get their money back! Which is why I want a definitive answer from them that they have actually understood. I wondered if they had any special tricks for such cases.

Not quite sure what the arrangements are for FTTP with YouFibre but like other service providers such as VM or Openreach there is either no charge or a fixed charge for the provision of a new connection. Last time I got a new BT line installed it cost me £120 which was the charge but apparently according to the surveyor who checked it was going to cost BT £2,000 to dig up quite a bit of pavement to install mine.

As there is an existing pole run, they could possibly use that and a quick google suggests they do. If you order it then they should be able to fit it.

I recently got FTTP with Community Fibre & their connection is a little bit different from described above.
I have fibre into a wall socket, then fibre from wall socket to their modem, & then Ethernet from modem to their mesh router. There’s no Ethernet connection out of my wall socket. It’s possible YouFibre could be the same as Community fibre.

As their fibre is completely separate from my existing Openreach fibre, I could have kept my existing line & fibre if I didn’t cancel them.

I recently got FTTP with Community Fibre & their connection is a little bit different from described above.
I have fibre into a wall socket, then fibre from wall socket to their modem, & then Ethernet from modem to their mesh router. There’s no Ethernet connection out of my wall socket. It’s possible YouFibre could be the same as Community fibre.

As their fibre is completely separate from my existing Openreach fibre, I could have kept my existing line & fibre if I didn’t cancel them.

Not really though as they will provide an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which is effectively a modem and has the Ethernet connection. The on domestic installs will provide this but it doesn't have the normal router functions.

As there is an existing pole run, they could possibly use that and a quick google suggests they do. If you order it then they should be able to fit it.
That's what I'd thought but when I googled it I found this thread where someone said they only use buried cable :)
Totally agree that hanging it using the existing poles would be the better option, probably about 10X cheaper!

We had CityFibre around here about a year ago, they put up loads of green boxes and laid new cables from them, underground to each property.

Was going to switch to them, but BT who I’ve been with FTTP for a few years now (200 down 30 up) matched the speed and beat the price so I stuck with them.

Using you own router, what do you have ? If it has built in modem then it won't do.

Also some modems like my Asus accept two connections and can automatically switch between them.

Using you own router, what do you have ? If it has built in modem then it won't do.

Also some modems like my Asus accept two connections and can automatically switch between them.
It's an Archer VR900. It has multiple operation modes, currently running as DSL modem. Not sure if it could directly accept incoming fibre via WAN but it can operate purely as a router linked to a modem I guess

I am seriously considering joining YouFibre but am a bit of a control freak over what kit gets installed.
I'd love to see exactly what it looks like with the boxes and whatever they install, don't suppose anyone might share a photo?

I am seriously considering joining YouFibre but am a bit of a control freak over what kit gets installed.
I'd love to see exactly what it looks like with the boxes and whatever they install, don't suppose anyone might share a photo?
Hi all

Had this installed 2 weeks ago
£22.50 for 1000mbps

So the set-up is:

Fibre cable all the way to the house and into the cupboard under the stairs which terminates in a box on the wall next to all the other sockets.
From here a green ended fibre cable comes out - NOT ethernet - into the youfibre supplied modem.
This then connects via ethernet to the eero 6 router.

Its pretty good.......

I can get speed test of 700-800 mbps on WIFI to my apple TV 4K and sometimes >500mbps on my iphone 12 pro.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 1,821
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 1,424
I also ovelapped it with my normal broadband service which ended on saturday in case I had any issues. Was paying 28 squids for 78mbps..........

Hi all

Had this installed 2 weeks ago
£22.50 for 1000mbps

So the set-up is:

Fibre cable all the way to the house and into the cupboard under the stairs which terminates in a box on the wall next to all the other sockets.
From here a green ended fibre cable comes out - NOT ethernet - into the youfibre supplied modem.
This then connects via ethernet to the eero 6 router.

Its pretty good.......

I can get speed test of 700-800 mbps on WIFI to my apple TV 4K and sometimes >500mbps on my iphone 12 pro.
How on earth did you get that price, best I could get was £37 on pre order... Mind if I ask where you are and what contact you're tied into?

Sounds like you're maxing out your WiFi at those speeds very impressive

How on earth did you get that price, best I could get was £37 on pre order... Mind if I ask where you are and what contact you're tied into?

Sounds like you're maxing out your WiFi at those speeds very impressive
Evening

Im in Durham! DH1

Saw the add on a bus stop outside UHND about 4 months ago so googled it and that was the pre-order deal they were offering at the time. The engineer said some people got it even cheaper at £20 at some point.

The MAP group had a load of vans at the corner of the street a couple of months back so I asked then what they were up to and they said pretty much "sorting out the cables for youfibre"

I think its a 12 month contact but could be 18 I cant remember! They were trying to get me up and running from the beginning of August but I had another month and a half to go on my contract so there was no rush.
Yeah the speeds are pretty impressive.

The Apple TV is consistently up at 600-700mbps
The phone can be a up and down a bit but if I'm near the router I get about 350mbps and tbh anything around there even if its a bit slower is is pretty instantaneous on most of my devices.

Happy so far......

You going to go for it?

A

The phone can be a up and down a bit but if I'm near the router I get about 350mbps and tbh anything around there even if its a bit slower is is pretty instantaneous on most of my devices.
Once you have bandwidth above 500Mbps and use wi-fi, you need the latest wi-fi 6 standard (802.11ax) equipment to benefit the most from the extra bandwidth. Starting at the wi-fi router of course. Then again as you say for the vast majority of uses and users 10 devices connected at 80Mbps and actually using that each, will not look any different. that's almost 4 4K streams on each device and loading of content on browsers hasn't really looked different since bandwidth went above 25Mbps.

Wifi 6 can support the multiple high speed streams better and more of them though. For a few it will be a "necessity" but for the vast majority it is the thing to buy when your current router dies.

Evening

Im in Durham! DH1

Saw the add on a bus stop outside UHND about 4 months ago so googled it and that was the pre-order deal they were offering at the time. The engineer said some people got it even cheaper at £20 at some point.

The MAP group had a load of vans at the corner of the street a couple of months back so I asked then what they were up to and they said pretty much "sorting out the cables for youfibre"

I think its a 12 month contact but could be 18 I cant remember! They were trying to get me up and running from the beginning of August but I had another month and a half to go on my contract so there was no rush.
Yeah the speeds are pretty impressive.

The Apple TV is consistently up at 600-700mbps

Happy so far......

You going to go for it?

A
I'm in DH7 - it has reached our village but we're just outside so on a wait-list for the next phase, they claimed about 8 weeks. I have placed the pre-order. I imagine you got an earlier adopter price or because you're in/near the city economies of scale made it cheaper, or they just really wanted to push for lots of customers!

I have an overhead line 100m up the lane to our house so they're going to have to hang another cable all that way just for me. On that basis if the install is done for free even £40pcm is cheap (60 is the non discounted price for 1 gig).
We barely get BT fibre v1 (38Mb) so this is really remarkable assuming it works to get fibre out to the rural areas. Some places can't even get FTTC fibre at all and are still on ADSL, for them it could be life-changing, almost.

So heres my latest WiFi speed on my iPhone12 pro

Attachments

• 992275B9-E454-4358-9B37-C10693FE573E.png
    992275B9-E454-4358-9B37-C10693FE573E.png
    252.1 KB · Views: 718
Ill see myself and raise myself...........

Not bad on wifi hey?

Attachments

• IMG_1071.PNG
    IMG_1071.PNG
    236.2 KB · Views: 724
Sorry to barge into this thread, but I'm having Youfibre installed today and we're running into some issues with the setup. I've already got an Amplifi mesh system in the house that I'd prefer to use over the Eero.

I've removed the previous BT PPPoe information, but does anyone know settings I should replace it with?

Sorry to barge into this thread, but I'm having Youfibre installed today and we're running into some issues with the setup. I've already got an Amplifi mesh system in the house that I'd prefer to use over the Eero.

I've removed the previous BT PPPoe information, but does anyone know settings I should replace it with?
Just setting it to DHCP I think should do the trick? If not worth giving them a ring and asking them what they use.

Ill see myself and raise myself...........

Not bad on wifi hey?
Hi
That looks brilliant.
I'm also in DH1 and we've had the fibre run in the ducts all along our street.
I'm with BT at present (about 70/18) and have tried their whole home WiFi premium mesh - and returned it because every few minutes it would prevent the router from seeing the Internet. Initially it worked fine, but that lasted under 2 days. Their level 3 support couldn't fix it so after 2 months of pain, it went back.

How do you find the Eero mesh? Does it reach the parts that other devices cannnot reach? Can you use ethernet-only devices with them?
At present the main socket and router are in an upstairs home office where the printer and main pc is on ethernet. The original main socket was in the hallway until we got FTTC - early on, so an engineer installed service. Another upstairs room has a laptop on WiFi. Downstairs in virtually the opposite corner of the house is our "entertainment centre" (TV and associated recorders/players) some of which need ethernet. Currently using a WiFi extender after 3 powerline systems have failed or had regular disconnect problems.
I'd love proper ethernet cabling but the walls are filled with wood fibres and I'm not allowed surface cabling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom