YouFibre FTTP Gigabit Broadband - any one use this?

whooshavf

They're cabling my estate in Stockton this week and as I'm currently with Virgin (No BT fibre here) I'm wondering if anyone can answer a couple of questions please, before I commit.
Virgin V4 router and an 8 port Gigabit switch.
I understand the Eero router has only two Ethernet ports, one in, one out.

If Virgin don't take my V4 router off me, can I still use it?
I have a BT Whole Home mesh system installed first one on Ethernet to the Virgin router, will it still work connected to my switch?
Is the VOIP socket on the router? Can I connect my current extensions to it?

Jayc1976

Pre ordered this a while back and have an installation date of the 12th November. Currently with BT on a 36 download max paying £40 a month. With you fibre I've ordered the 500 for £27 a month as with the 1000 they don't offer the early termination of existing contract help which in my case I will owe bt £155 once I received my final bill I can email it to you fibre who will credit my account up to a max of £180 so once it's credited I won't need to pay for 5/6 months. For those who have you fibre what's the WiFi range like? I live in a small ish house my current bt hub reaches everywhere fairly easily.

DarrylJohn

Pre ordered this a while back and have an installation date of the 12th November. Currently with BT on a 36 download max paying £40 a month. With you fibre I've ordered the 500 for £27 a month as with the 1000 they don't offer the early termination of existing contract help which in my case I will owe bt £155 once I received my final bill I can email it to you fibre who will credit my account up to a max of £180 so once it's credited I won't need to pay for 5/6 months. For those who have you fibre what's the WiFi range like? I live in a small ish house my current bt hub reaches everywhere fairly easily.
I'd drop them a message. Current offer is £20 for 500mb.

adriano

Ive got an 12m x 12m house. The router is downstairs and covers the bottom floor no bother but i have some dead spots in my house because of metal in some of the walls so theres a room upstairs which isnt great so i bought an extender for the upstairs landing and everything is covered.
I had the same problem with Sky so had an extender back then too.
The eero extenders have come down in price too on amazon.....

Jayc1976

Unfortunately my install couldn't be completed something to do with a damaged pole. Waiting on you fibre and the build partner netomnia to sort out a new install day.

Jayc1976

So after the pole issue customer service contacts me and gives me a new install for Monday. As I was in the 500 package they have upgraded me to the 1000 for £25 a month as a good will gesture as I was paying 27 for 500. Will see what Monday brings

Dgraugh

Novice Member
I had a YouFibre installation a few weeks ago. I elected for 500Mbps as have no need for 1gb. My previous setup had everything in my study upstairs. Had to change that as the cable came in downstairs to the router.

The only device I have that may need this sort of speed is my TV. I therefore extended the fibre optic cable out of sight to behind the TV where nobody sees it. The black box is ugly! I abandoned the eero 6 supplied as I already had my own mesh system. The speed does definitely arrive at the router at just over 500 Mbps. Checking the speed using WiFi in the room in which the master router is I get at least 230 Mbps. I have seen faster but it is more than adequate. The TV is hard wired to the router.

Why I changed is simply because it saves me £100 p.a. on what I was paying under my contract with EE and YouFibre paid the lump sum charged by EE to end their contract,

Dgraugh

Novice Member
Hi
That looks brilliant.
I'm also in DH1 and we've had the fibre run in the ducts all along our street.
I'm with BT at present (about 70/18) and have tried their whole home WiFi premium mesh - and returned it because every few minutes it would prevent the router from seeing the Internet. Initially it worked fine, but that lasted under 2 days. Their level 3 support couldn't fix it so after 2 months of pain, it went back.

How do you find the Eero mesh? Does it reach the parts that other devices cannnot reach? Can you use ethernet-only devices with them?
At present the main socket and router are in an upstairs home office where the printer and main pc is on ethernet. The original main socket was in the hallway until we got FTTC - early on, so an engineer installed service. Another upstairs room has a laptop on WiFi. Downstairs in virtually the opposite corner of the house is our "entertainment centre" (TV and associated recorders/players) some of which need ethernet. Currently using a WiFi extender after 3 powerline systems have failed or had regular disconnect problems.
I'd love proper ethernet cabling but the walls are filled with wood fibres and I'm not allowed surface cabling.
I have had BT, and EE routers (they are the same) in the past and found them useless. I abandoned them and used my own router and mesh system using an OpenReach modem to feed the router. Now I am FTTH and all is good at less cost.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Just waiting for them to get back in touch , I’m paying £43 a month for 500 virgin , they are offering contract buyout s as well , so if comes of then I’ll be saving about £350 over 18 months , might as well eh 🤷🏼‍♂️

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom