YouFibre FTTP Gigabit Broadband - any one use this?

lunazero

I have signed up with YouFibre for Gigabit Ethernet broadband who claim to provide a new line direct from the cabinet to my house:

They provide a phone-compatible ONU (modem) the AdTran 621X and an Eero 6 router.

Currently my contract with EE Broadband ends in April. Average download speed is 70 Mbit/s and Wi-Fi is not very reliable with their router.
Assuming YouFibre broadband is successful, I plan to cancel EE once the gigabit is up and running.

Anyone have any experience with this company? Or general advice regarding GigaBit broadband?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Looks like a local ISP that's only been operating for six months or so

Bear in mind that only ethernet devices will get close to the 1000Mbps - Wi-fi devices tend to top out at a few hundreds megabits.

lunazero

@EndlessWaves thanks very much for this advice! Most of my devices connect via Ethernet.

Yes they are a new company, registered in London but rolling out 1000 Mbps in the North East.
Hard to find genuine reviews of YouFibre I think?

Do you think I should still go ahead with this installation?
Waiting for installation date from YouFibre. No idea when that will be but signed up last month.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Depends on the up front cost, but if they're that new you'd expect them to have the capital to run for a few years at least so I wouldn't have any problems going with them.

lunazero

Thanks for your time and advice! If I remember I will post a thread or update with a review of YouFibre. Just hope it is worth the wait :)

safcsat

I have signed up with YouFibre for Gigabit Ethernet broadband who claim to provide a new line direct from the cabinet to my house:

They provide a phone-compatible ONU (modem) the AdTran 621X and an Eero 6 router.

Currently my contract with EE Broadband ends in April. Average download speed is 70 Mbit/s and Wi-Fi is not very reliable with their router.
Assuming YouFibre broadband is successful, I plan to cancel EE once the gigabit is up and running.

Anyone have any experience with this company? Or general advice regarding GigaBit broadband?

hi. I’ve had them for about 5 or so months now, in short, AMAZING!

lunazero

hi. I’ve had them for about 5 or so months now, in short, AMAZING!
Excellent news! What is your average download speed please?

Did you wait more than 2 months for an installation date?

safcsat

Excellent news! What is your average download speed please?

Did you wait more than 2 months for an installation date?
Thats hard to quantify really and anyone showing figures is trying to mislead.

Example:

Xbox game downloads - 200-300Mbit/sec or so - issue is the Xbox servers are crap!
Usenet - you will mostly max out - 120MB/sec

If you run speed tests you'll regularly see 900+ both up and down, but that's just a test between you and a server, it always depends on what the source is of your download.

Tips to get the most out of it:

1) Wired, wired, wired!
2) Multi part downloads if you are downloading a single file (Getright etc.)
3) For WiFi, you want WiFi6 devices. I replaced the Eero with my own router and I can get speeds of 800+ up/down over wifi from some devices (MacBook Pro M1, iPhone 12 Pro etc..)

Also remember if your PC's are still using mechanical 3.5inch disks, then you are going to hit bottlenecks, with reading/writing. So you want to be using at least SSD's, but may as well go with NVME and future proof if you need to buy new.

It can take a while for the install, depending on your area and what work they need to do. the main sticking point has been the underground ducting has been either none existent, or blocked. So they need permits to then dig the streets. They are, I believe, using telegraph poles now in some areas, so this may speed up the work!

Where are you based? PM if you wish!

lunazero

outoftheknow

Also remember if your PC's are still using mechanical 3.5inch disks, then you are going to hit bottlenecks, with reading/writing.
Due to broadband speed? HDD do up to 200MB/s read/write so I’m not sure what you mean here?

generally change to SSD because it is faster I agree. Thinking a mechanical HDD is a bottleneck for even 1Gb/s (120MB/s near enough) broadband is maybe a step too far?

Last edited:

safcsat

Due to broadband speed? HDD do up to 200MB/s read/write so I’m not sure what you mean here?

generally change to SSD because it is faster I agree. Thinking a mechanical HDD is a bottleneck for even 1GB/s (120MB/s near enough) broadband is maybe a step too far?

Not really, depends on what the use case it. If you are downloading at 100-120MB/s and potentially uploading the same, you could easily start hitting issues.

Not everyone would be doing that, of course. But some people don't realise that as fibre starts to get faster and faster, their machines could well start to become a bottleneck.

Just always worth baring in mind IMO, as we become more blessed with crazy fast Internet speeds.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
don't mix your Mbits and MBytes ;)

I don't think @safcsat is though. (Though @outoftheknow has is as the ISP would be 1Gbps (Gbit/s)

I am hitting around 140Megabytes\s on downloads from Steam and the like.

Usenet services will generally hit their caps or if unlimited speed then the speed of your BB connection as they often use between 20 and 50 individual connections. That can be throttled though by CPU and disks trying to keep up.

outoftheknow

I had to look closely to see where this was done, I spot it, a few posts above saying 1GB/s, when he of course meant 1Gb/s, but I read it as it was meant at least! :)
Fixed :)

I blame fat fingers and Apple :rotfl:

mw01908

It can take a while for the install, depending on your area and what work they need to do. the main sticking point has been the underground ducting has been either none existent, or blocked. So they need permits to then dig the streets. They are, I believe, using telegraph poles now in some areas, so this may speed up the work!

Where are you based? PM if you wish!
I've had a card through my door alerting me that YouFibre is coming to County Durham. I called their customer services to ask when they could install, they are saying March. My BT phoneline comes from a telegraph pole. I asked the guy will they be using the telegraph poles, he said no they will lay the fibre to the house underground.

I want to order it to help support the company but I'm in contract with Shell BB until September. There is no option to start it on a certain date, just as soon as they can install you will be on, which is a shame since I wanted to pre-order and get the 10% discount.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I've had a card through my door alerting me that YouFibre is coming to County Durham. I called their customer services to ask when they could install, they are saying March. My BT phoneline comes from a telegraph pole. I asked the guy will they be using the telegraph poles, he said no they will lay the fibre to the house underground.

I want to order it to help support the company but I'm in contract with Shell BB until September. There is no option to start it on a certain date, just as soon as they can install you will be on, which is a shame since I wanted to pre-order and get the 10% discount.

Run both for a bit, though I guess it defeats the 10% saving...

safcsat

I would sign up immediately, but that’s just me! Sensible thing is to wait, but those speeds…think about those speeds of that pure fibre! :)

DarrylJohn

Just applied to get this, not available until Q3 though.

You had this installed yet?

lunazero

@DarrylJohn @safcsat - installation went well today and wished took a photo of speedtest just after connecting my laptop via ethernet - ping 10ms download speed of 978 Mbps.

Will attach photo of Speedtest results via Wi-Fi on my iPhone - showing before and after YouFibre installed.

@DarrylJohn Hope you get this installed soon! Only the first day of using it but everything is working so much quicker... like lightning! :)

DarrylJohn

@DarrylJohn @safcsat - installation went well today and wished took a photo of speedtest just after connecting my laptop via ethernet - ping 10ms download speed of 978 Mbps.

Will attach photo of Speedtest results via Wi-Fi on my iPhone - showing before and after YouFibre installed.

@DarrylJohn Hope you get this installed soon! Only the first day of using it but everything is working so much quicker... like lightning! :)
That's great. Not in my area yet, but due Q2/Q3. What kit do they install? There's nothing readily available on it

lunazero

That's great. Not in my area yet, but due Q2/Q3. What kit do they install? There's nothing readily available on it
Worth the wait! See photo for improved speeds!:smashin:

They use Adtran ONT modem connected to Eero 6 Wi-Fi router.

Big thanks to @safcsat who advised me to purchase QNAP Qhora-301W Wif Fi 6 10Gb router. Excellent very easy to set up and installation team had no concerns with me using my own router!

Attachments

• A4584A71-BD25-4DC3-AFBC-8E2060FE3947.png
    A4584A71-BD25-4DC3-AFBC-8E2060FE3947.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 246

DarrylJohn

Worth the wait! See photo for improved speeds!:smashin:

They use Adtran ONT modem connected to Eero 6 Wi-Fi router.

Big thanks to @safcsat who advised me to purchase QNAP Qhora-301W Wif Fi 6 10Gb router. Excellent very easy to set up and installation team had no concerns with me using my own router!

Nice! Looks good!

I'm going to see if it gets installed first, will see if the homehub 5 manages to get the states speed via LAN. Might just need homeplugs capable of 1Gb

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky to share F1 decider with Channel 4 in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Cabasse adds Apple AirPlay to Pearl Collection speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Vestel launches TV remote app for 50 TV brands