1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

you would get more help if....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Enquirer, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this post was posted on a USA site if more people asked in this way more would help ..the UK should be the birth place of manners:

I have just registered as a member after lurking and reading for a few weeks. I have both enjoyed and benefited from the wealth of knowledge and experience posted here and appreciate the willingness of so many to share their ideas, but I must also admit to some confusion about the best next steps for my entry into large screen TV viewing.
    It has become clear to me that there is no one right solution as to what kind of equipment makes the best sense for any specific solution, only a range of divergent opinions based upon the experience, viewing habits and tastes of the individual. And this circumstance is further complicated by the constantly changing technology that is evolving at such a rapid rate that it renders any decision almost moot by the time the equipment is bought and installed. Nevertheless, I intend to jump in and so ask the community for some advice. Here are my circumstances:

1. By virtue of my specific geographic circumstances, I can’t receive any OTA signals, so am presently getting my content over Dish Network satellite and by DVD. I suppose that this suggests that I don’t need to buy a TV with internal tuners and ought to upgrade my satellite service to HD (or change to Voom or DirecTV HD)?
    2. I would like to have a set in the 42-inch range; preferably a flat panel hung on the wall. This suggests a plasma or LCD?
    3. I intend to run the audio through a surround sound amp and speaker system. This suggests buying just a TV monitor, not a consumer set?

Finally, I am confused by a couple of questions:

1. Given the present scarcity of HD content, I will probably watch a proportionally large bit of SDTV and DVDs. That brings into question the best kind of set for that circumstance, EDTV or HDTV? Or is it better to enjoy HDTV, however sparse the offerings, as more and more content is coming on line?
    2. I understand the question about plasma burn-in, but wonder if I’m not underestimating the needed screen size, as many images will be viewed, as I understand it, with either horizontal or vertical “black bars, thus reducing the total image size?”

I will continue to read the past posts, but would appreciate members’ views and advice on my specific circumstances. I hope to take a further couple of weeks before making my purchases.

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well the black bars depend on the source when watching TV you may have a transmission in 4:3 therefore side bars but you maintain the correct ratio. When you have wide screen it goes full left and right but depending on the aspect ratio you may have small bars at top and bottom.

As far as i know aren't HD TVs backward compatablie with SDTV signals from say sky etc as long as you have a scart input etc.

I know some Plasmas etc have detachable speakers but consider that you would need to power up the amp just to check the news alternativly leave the speakers in place but turn down the volume to the lowest when you are using the amp for DVD etc.

Make sure you have HDMI ports on this TV that are HDCP compatabile. HDMI is both compatabile with DVI and HDMI and you can also send sound to the TV via it and the option of RGB or Component RGB as a picture format.

Don't forget most HD content is SD upscaled to HD via stuff like Teranex chips etc. Which on players with HDMI/DVI you can also find scalers to do the same thing. Also the Blu-ray and HD-DVD just around the corner which should come into force in about 2 years. It not going to replace DVD over night and not everyone will be able to afford one also the normal bugs assoicated with a new format or technology.

Oh well hope this helps good TV hunting. :)

3. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...must have been educated over here, Yanks don't carry that vocabulary range IMCE (In my considerable experience)

Good point though - 'humble' reduces the risk of attack, and increases the chance of a well thought answer !! ...if that is ok with everyone....

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    :) Eddy mate I think you missed the point, though conversely it does rather prove the point at the same time :)

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou everyone it does restore my faith in human nature

6. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The hi def forum is an interesting place, a tough read in many areas mind. HD is still tricky to allow for with the kind of setup you want, I can only think of 1 true hi def panel at the moment which is guaranteed HDTV compatible, which is the 'just out' Fujitsu p42HHA40. I'm personally not keen on the core technology, ALIS, the 1024 sq panel, others like it, they can't all be wrong. (or perhaps I'm going soft :devil: ) Other than that, you've done your homework.
    Side speakers, I have no speakers on my plasma, and out of 3-400 installs, I have only 1 client who has side speakers. All others use their surround sound even for eastbenders and the news. You can always press the 'stereo' button, but in fact, well executed Dolby PL2 is less intrusive. The music for the news is a bit startling, but I suppose it's meant to be. All else will test only your centre speaker.
    It does seem as if you are better off with no 'redundant' TV tuner. Though if you go for a universal remote, it's almost a no brainer BTW, you would simply not program any TV controls onto it, so you'd never know it was there. How big is the room? You could do with trying some cardboard cutouts on the wall to check for size, colour in the anamorphic picture that concerns you, see how big it seems from your sitting position.