You want it WHEN??

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by lechacal, Sep 25, 2002.

1. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Date for Xbox Live announced:
    BBC News

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame I doubt I'll have BB. Great price tho.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    March????

How the hell am I supposed to wait until March?

Jeez, I guess I'll have to keep playing Day of Defeat until then. (kicks the dirt)

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    LOL march... *** when will the UK ever get anything decent on time or if at all.

Mind you there is no decent broadband infrastructure in this country, I guess we can blame our Government for that.

Good job I got my PC :)

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    plus the fact that the Demo disc (whacked & motogp demos) unlocks the retail version of motogp making it Live enabled.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I may have jumped the gun. From what I'm reading, the "official" launch is in March, but from Nov. 30, UK gamers will be able to sign up. Early adopters will probably have to put up with bugs and server downtimes, but your years' membership doesn't start until March, so you're effectively playing for free until then!

MotoGP should be a blast!

(smooths over the dirt he had previously kicked)

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    i have been wondering whether i can buy a wireless access point give it an ip address on my pc then stick it in the back of the xbox giving me wireless access to my other access point ( which is plugged into my adsl router/modem ) ??????

I wonder what you get with the live package ??

I take it it must be an ethernet cable , and i guess you must have to give you xbox and ip address and a default gateway, does anyone know ??

i know that you can give the xobox an ip address etc. because i have done this with a chip installed.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Why do you need to give your X-Box an IP? Just set up your router with DHCP, this will then assign your X-Box an IP address. As long as you have port forwarding enabled (which I doubt will be a necessity) for any ports that may be needed there should be no problems.

I haven't really looked at the specs mind you :p but I wouldn't have thought that anything strange would be going on that stops NAT connections working. They would lose half the people who would play on it.

And yes the beta is running first, with up to a 1000 gamers being allowed to take part in each country I believe.

9. LYF

LYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will actually need two IPs although they can be DHCP.

As the box has a standard network card any form of connection will be okay but remember that "live" will need to connect to your box so NATing will have to be setup carefully.

I haven't found any problems so far behind NAT.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    I think an access point has to have an ip address as it cant obtain one automatically.

i have my router set up with dhcp, with an ip adress of XXX.XXX.XXX.001 then my access point has to have an ip address of XXX.XXX.XXX002 all my wireless network cards are set up to receive an ip address automatically and they get given XXX.XXX.XXX.002 , XXX.XXX.XXX.003 etc.

so i guess if i give the second access point and address in the same range it should be fine.

by its nature a wirelss network card doesnt have a rj45 connection , otherwise you would have to plug your network card into , well er , a network card.

Or am I missing something ???

11. LYF

LYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes as long as the Xbox knows where the gateway is you shouldn't have a problem although thinking of it it does need to communicate over port 80 so I don't know how that will affect anyone with a domain at home.